CC Drive Wipe filled up my hard drive!!

scottjo64

I ran this sh*t software hoping that by cleaning out crap that had built up over the years would speed up Chrome.  But instead it took come 600 GB of free space and I cannot get it back!!

I am FVCKING PISSED!  I may have to doa FVCKING restore and rebuild and reinstall every program I have on this!!  WTF?!?!  I HATE THIS SOFTWARE!

• Moderators

Patience, this is a user forum - all answers are given by other users just like you, and it is new years eve so there may not be many logging on today.

Why were you doing a drive wipe, and did you let it finish?

A drive wipe (or Wipe Free space) is typically used to securely clear your data off the drive before you sell/pass on a machine.
It's not somethig to do as normal maintenance, it will not 'speed up' anything.

Drive wipes work by filling up the disc (or the 'free' parts of the disc) with random data, (typically X's and Zeros) and then deleting that data.
That way any files that you have previously deleted get overwritten with random data, and so cannot later be recovered by recovery software.

Of course if anything should stop the drive wipe before it has deleted the random data that it has written then that random data will remain, taking up space on the disc.

That sounds like what has happened to you, the wipe has been halted before it has finished removing the random data.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

- Run Antibody's Wiztree. It gives an oversight of what's "hiding" on your HD. (I assume it's a HD ?)

- Perhaps the System Restore Points (in the folder c:\system volume information") take up A LOT OF space ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!