CCLEANER PRO 5.51 6939 does not clean Edge or IE

JustMike

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 12/28/2018 at 11:09, JustMike said:

Couple of issues noted. 

Running CCLEANER PRO 5.51.6939 'manually' or using 'Smart Cleaning', neither works to clean Edge or IE; everything shows up as "Skipped".

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

The work around that I do that allows both of them to be cleaned is when I start my computer I open Edge, and then I close it. Then later on when I run CCleaner it will clean without skipping either.

Edit:
There's also this if you have Windows 10 v1809 (October 2018 Update) installed:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/53177-how-to-disable-pre-launching-and-pre-loading-so-ccleaner-can-fully-clean-edge/

1 hour ago, robert21 said:

In my case, it hangs forever at IE history and must be killed by brute force. No skipping

The solution is don't let it clean IE History, as seen here:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/53241-ccleaner-lag-super-bug/?do=findComment&comment=302660

First , this is not  a solution, is a workaround. Second, I am not talking about  a delay of seconds which would have not bothered me very much: in my case, ccleaner hangs forever (the longest I waited before giving up is over 45 minutes) and must be killed to get rid of it. 

"to periodically clean Internet Explorer's History just right-click upon it in CCleaner to clean it when you deem it necessary.". I don't get this. Right clicking on IE  or IE History   in CCleaner results in the same behavior: ccleaner hangs at IE history. Or you mean that in any case IE history should be bypassed?

Edited by robert21
sentence added

• Moderators

I can only tell you that I don't have these issues on Win 10 using  CC 5.51

The only thing different I do perhaps is in Windows Settings.. ..Privacy....Background Apps, I have Microsoft Edge unticked.

Also in Edge..Settings..Advanced ..I have Cortana unticked

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Maybe you are right. Checking is going to be difficult, since everything was working fine up to a couple of weeks ago, and I am pretty sure I didn't touch anything. As a friend of mine used to say, Microsoft is fascinating: you never know what is going to happen to you the next day. A continuous adventure..

Anyway, for you info: Edge is unchecked in Background apps, and I never activated Cortana,  which does not appear in Edge settings.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, robert21 said:

Or you mean that in any case IE history should be bypassed?

I called it a "solution" because the hanging or slow cleaning of IE History has been going on for perhaps two years now, and may not be something they can easily fix.

Most of what people have reported on the forums is a few seconds delay before it cleans, up to perhaps 6 seconds and that alone has been enough for some of us to recommend unticking/bypassing the cleaning of IE History.

In your situation with it hanging like that for so long and you having to manually kill the CCleaner process I would personally never let CCleaner attempt to clean it.

All right, IE history will be excluded from cleaning. The question remains: why is this problem appearing at different times to different people? As I said, I was completely unaware of this until a couple of weeks ago, without changing anything. If Ms or cc changed something in the background, I can't possibly know. Thank you for your attention.

• Moderators

robert did you try stopping Edge running in the background all the time?

See option 2 here for screenshots.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7225-turn-off-background-apps-windows-10-a.html

I have everything in the list turned off apart from Windows Security.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

As for disabling Cortana in Edge advanced settings I don't have that available either, however I'm still on Win10 v1803 because Acer hasn't approved it yet for my laptop model.

The Windows Defender Security Center is the only one I have left enabled. Even with everything else disabled Edge is still able to load in the background during startup and sign-on of my system (maybe something to do with being on Win10 v1803). It's the reason I just open Edge and then close it manually, so far works every time for me and it allows CCleaner to clean both Edge and IE without any warnings.