CCleaner made Thunderbird forget itself

leuce

I'm not a regular updater of CCleaner, so I don't know what my previous version were, but last night I updated to v5.51.6939 64-bit on my Windows 7 HP 64-bit machine, and proceeded to do a cleanup.  Under "Thunderbird" I had these options selected: Internet Cache, Internet History, Download History and Last Download Location.  When I started up Thunderbird again, everything in it was gone (!).  Fortunately the profile (along with most of its files, e.g. e-mails, etc.) was intact on my hard drive.  At first I thought that Thunderbird just forgot where the profile folder is, but it turned out that Thunderbind knew where the profile folder is, but something got corrupted or missing from the profile folder.  I tried setting up a new profile using the standard Thunderbird instructions, but it wouldn't work (meaning one or more files in the existing profile got corrupted or missing).  I eventually managed to restore Thunderbird, by the way.

• 1 month later...

I had the same on feb 9. Downloaded the latest CCleaner and after running it could not open Thunderbird nor Firefox anymore. Received a message 'thunderbird active but cannot open' or something to that effect.

Also the folders in 'my documents' had disappeared. Thank god I had just installed a back up drive and had made a backup with File History.

After a restart 'control panel' became visible when searchin in W10 but it did not open. Could not find it anymore.

I restored the my documents files and managed to get Chrome operational with some difficulties.

The bad thing is all this happened on the laptop of an older lady who asked for my help.

This issue seems to have happened als in 2017, i.e. CCleaner destroying Mozilla.

Not sure how to proceed, I hope the original emails are still on the laptop. She can mail with an iPad.

Great shame on Piriform to let this happen twice!!!