Multiple questions

meridius7

I have been using CCleaner Free for years but have some questions:

1. In the main GUI Windows Log Files are normally ticked to be analysed/deleted. Why? Surely they are important to keep in Windows.

2. In the same menu but in Applications > Windows there is an option for running CCleaner on RegEdit. What does this actually do?

3. If I fix registry items can I have a problem with restore points in Windows? Is it completely safe to fix all?

4. Where does Tools > Startup feed off? I thought it was from msconfig > Start-up but is it a combination of this and some items from services.msc?

5. In Options > Cookies can I safely delete them all?

6. In Options > Advanced can I safely untick "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours". Why should these files be kept at all?

Many thanks for any advice at this stage.

• Moderators

1. log files by their very nature just log events.  if you want to see the history of an event, then Yes, keep your log files.  all I can say is that in 30 years of professionally using PC's I have needed to look at a log file maybe 3 times.  so, don't run CC if you are troubleshooting.

2. I've stayed on v5.40 so don'y know about that new feature - sounds wanky to me.

3. you run the potential to restore a 'broken' registry if the restore point has a snapshot of such a registry.  cleaning the registry is always potentially unsafe not matyter how small and simply not needed these days except in removing gremlins.

4. it is msconfig, with a bit of 
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and
    for 32bit
       HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
       HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
   and for 64bit
       HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,
       HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce, HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Window\CurrentVersion\Run, 
       HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

5. all depends if you want to keep what the cookies are saving

6. I've never had those options ticked.  again, it's all down to personal preferences - do you what to delete everything or just everything but the last 24 hours?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
On 12/5/2018 at 03:22, meridius7 said:

2. In the same menu but in Applications > Windows there is an option for running CCleaner on RegEdit. What does this actually do?

Applications > Windows > RegEdit

All that does is delete the MRU ("Recent Location") in RegEdit where you were last viewing a key. It doesn't harm anything.