processes still running

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jlhillhouse said:

please read the preceding posts. please can anyone help??????????????

I read the posts, and have seen the work arounds for both your issues (well, what hazelnut and I think you're trying to show in the screenshot one...it is unclear what you mean with that one). Has neither solved your two semi-stated issues?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Sorry for SEMI-STATED issues. I'm doing the best I can! the two issues are as follows-

• after using ccleaner, when i close it then go to task manager there are still ccleaner processes running?
  • when i try to load the latest version it will not completely install, as shown in my screen print? because of this i can never try the recommendations?

Hopefully, this explains the issues clearer. thank you

I have used ccleaner for years and like it. it is always highly recommended, but until it is fixed i will use others (e.g.- Glary, Wise, Slim). Please let me know when all this is fixed. I have tried all suggested solutions and NONE work. Andavari thank you very much for all the suggestions.

nergal- from your side board comments and your condescending attitude i suggest you give up being a volunteer meddler. I asked sincere questions and for help, so in the future either leave or be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

It's had issues installing for many people for at least 2 or 3 years at this point, starting happening when they changed someting in the installer. Besides that, I think the easiest way to fix this for yourself will require some manual intervention on your part.

Try this:
1. Install that older version that you currently have that installs without issue (if you've already removed it).
2. Make sure CCleaner is not running in the background, open Task Manager and kill any of it's running processes. This will be required for step 4 listed below.
3. Go here and download the Portable ZIP version: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
4. Unzip the Portable ZIP version into the folder where CCleaner is installed, select Yes to Overwrite the files -- Note: This may or will require Administrator rights to overwrite the files!
5. Open the CCleaner folder, and make certain that you delete the following file: Portable.dat
6. Open CCleaner to make sure it with start without issue.

thank you very much, but i will just wait until all is repaired. i find it interesting that ccleaner is such a highly rated product but the developers cannot fix these issues? please understand i am not a developer or programmer so it may be a lot more difficult than i understand. thank you again

• 1 month later...

is this fixed yet. please read the string. none of it works? I have spent a long time trhing to get ccleaner free version to install and it just will not do it. yes, i have all the firewalls, virus blockers off. does anyone know how to installl this or can you pass on to developers to FIX it?????????????? thank you

• Moderators

have you tried doing the above suggestion with the PC in Safe Mode?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, jlhillhouse said:

i have all the firewalls, virus blockers off.

I seriously doubt your firewall and antivirus software are causing the issue! When I stated to update using the Portable ZIP version that's probably the only way you'll get an update to work any time soon since the installer has issues, so why not just avoid the installer altogether.

Like I previously stated, the installer has had issues for at least 2 or 3 years now - to the point I personally think they should re-write it from scratch in case they're relying on some old template that could possible have an error in it, or use a different installation compiler program altogether rather it be free, open source, or paid.

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried the portable install and could not get it to work. Even though I'm using the free version it is still beyond me that a highly recommended program like CCleaner would have an installation issue for this long. What do other people do, just quite using it? You would think if you could ever get the developers attention they would be VERY concerned and fix the darn thing. I guess until then I'll just use Glary and/or some of the others that seem to care. If you know how would you please send this to the developers who seem to be very well insulated from the public namely USERS. If you happen to hear it is fixed please let me know. Thank you again, Johnny

• Moderators

that's the beauty of the portable version - it doesn't get installed.
you just double click the executable from where you downloaded it to and away you go.

maybe you are doing that and the error is coming from when you try to run it?

• Moderators

no argument there, and as @andavari says, the installer has had issues for many users, for ages - but not all - and I think that's why Piriform hasn't bothered too much about it.

• 4 months later...

This is bad, really bad. Even after a full CCleaner uninstall (following the official uninstallation process) and laptop restart, I still had a dozen CCleaner processes running. Luckily, I was able to force terminate them and clean things up manually via a command prompt. The installer is completely broken, such behaviour is pretty close to what could be considered as malware.

• Moderators

Since it has a resident background running processes Smart Cleaning, it would help to first look for anything running in the background before attempting to uninstall it. I wouldn't consider it malware, simply because there's allot of software that doesn't uninstall fully, hence the reason to use an uninstaller tool such as the freeware Geek Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller.