Solve Security Issues in Windows XP

RonTheCon

This source claims, that it affects only Win2000, which has only 2 keys for it and WinXP has 3 keys for it. According to it, in WinXP it doesnot matter, if it is 1 or 2, but Belarc Advisor does not like it, when it is set to 2, so it lowers my score (from 7,29 to 6,46).

By the way, could share your reg tweaks? Here are mine, there are just a few I found.

• Moderators

Well, well. Ron the Con,

I think if you had not made your first post in this forum, one that has come across as if your knowledge of computers is so great, people here should be thankful you've dropped by to impart your wisdom, you may have had a better response than you have.

Perhaps in future posts you may keep that in mind. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ron,

What we're trying to tell you is that your computer appears to be broken. If you're a newcomer to a forum and you describe what appears to be a broken computer, you can't expect people to have any confidence in your recommended tweaks.

Just as an example, Freecell is supposed to be in C:\WINDOWS\System32 not C:\Program Files\MSN Gaming Zone\Windows and, on over 20 computers at the office and 3 at home, it has never tried to "phone home" ... and yes, I'm one those geeks that reads firewall logs in his spare time.

DjLizard has credibility because of his track record ... people report problems, he fixes them. I'm "in the engineering field and over the age of 30 (by a couple of decades)", and trust me, age has nothing to do with it ... You are what you do when it counts.

Ugh, I typed up a reply and the page crashed on me. :(

Well I'll rewrite it..

DjLizard,

You made it sond like everything has problems. And you're right, but what I was saying was specifically to Microsoft. Microsoft has millins of other issues the others don't even have, and you pretty much said that they are all the same. Catch my drift man? :) - Not trying to be sarcastic either.

Lordoftheweb,

I agree.

CaPMan,

That's cool for DjLizard.

Lordoftheweb,

Me too.

krit86lr,

Me too.

TheTOM_SK,

Thanks for the extra info Tom. I'll add that as a disclaimer. Also, these tweaks are public knowledge. If you want them on your website, go ahead and upload it. Copy/paste the html or whatever. It's all yours man.

Well, well. Hazel Nut,

Thank you. You are very sweet. :)

Glenn,

You may be right. I have a gateway computer and it comes with preinstalled crap and such, and maybe something like that had an effect. Then again, when I discovered this crappy behavior of the games, I decided to check other computers. A dell computer with XP Home had also MSN Gaming Zone which had Freecell and other games trying to connect to the internet every now and then. I checked on my friend's computer which was AMD Athlon with XP Professional and it also had MSN Gaming Zone. I have gotten this information from Norton firewall. But.. maybe the firewall is lying lol, but I don't know.

Age does play a roll. When I said 30, I meant someone with experience. People fresh out of college think they know everything and are not the right people to ask. People who have been in the software engineering field with a good amount of years of experience would tell you what I told you. DjLizard made to seem like nothing when he was displaying that everything had problems, but I already knew that. Nothing new. What I was saying was that Microsoft specifically had some major issues.

Microsoft - 112,121,930 problems

Linux - maybe 8 or 10 problems

Apple - around 15 perhaps problems

Unix - 3 or 4 problems

I see a noticable difference... Hmm very interesting.

~Ron :)

"Microsoft - 112,121,930 problems

Linux - maybe 8 or 10 problems

Apple - around 15 perhaps problems

Unix - 3 or 4 problems"

That's some pretty serious exaggeration. Do you have sources for these figures? What do you define as a problem, general bugs? Secuity holes leading to exploits?

For some reason, you saw fit to describe, group, and judge me -- and you just got here. For your information, I have quite a lot of experience, and I never went to college. If you are somehow insinuating that because of my age, I cannot possibly have enough experience, well...

Let's just say that plenty of age and so-called experience does not always or automatically equal understanding, either. I've known plenty of technicians and engineers that were far older than me, had many years on me, and were somehow completely clueless about the field in which they were supposedly so experienced. And they thought quite the opposite of themselves, of course. It was quite often that I witnessed them purporting opinion as fact, or providing misinformation and conjecture.

Hmm very interesting indeed.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Lock, trash, delete and ban.* gg. :P

RonTheCon? Sounds like Con is short for Con-Artist.

Hell, even my forums are welcome to all, but if I catch you on my site posting this garbage and total s**t; you'll be banned in a heartbeat Con.

Nice "work" telling people to basically disable their computers. Too many wannabe techs and you're one of them. Buy some half assed "tweak" program and think you know all about computers. Grow up kid.

*In other words, reported this trash thread till it gets removed.

• Moderators

Well, well. Hazel Nut,

Thank you. You are very sweet. :)

I am very glad that you chose to edit out the nasty remarks you wrote about me and insert the above instead. In fact if my grandchildren had spoken to me the way you did in the edited out post, you would be blowing bubbles now.

However, my opinion of your original post in this thread has not changed. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I use all those tweaks, even more and I do not need to waste money on realtime software like AV or etc. The only realtime I have is a firewall (just as a layer protection for Windows settings) along with tighten settings for Windows (like you mentioned) and for IE, so I can visit any webpage without getting infected. These days it is popular to install as much protection software as possible, instead taking a few houres to secure the Windows. Eg by disabling WSH with Symantec's NoScript everything will work, but people can not get infected via HTML (for instance via emails). And just for the beginning, CCleaner is the best freeware simple security tool for Windows out there. :)

By the way RonTheCon, I am sorry, that people "appreciate" your help so much. But do not take it seriously, it is normal. I have learned many times, that for help I give, I have to pay instead of getting simple Thanks. At least I say Thank You. ;)

DjLizard, I wa being realistic. You don't need sources, it's common knowledge. I was exagerating a little, but microsoft certainly has problems in the 1000s, which is way different than any other operating system. I'm not really in the mood to debate it though, just search on google for Why Microsoft Sucks or just microsoft sucks in quotes lol. I'm sure you will get many. :)

Hazelnut,

:( Sorry about that. I was very tired and I didn't read what you said correctly, so I just posted out of anger lol. Straight 8 hours doing a very hard project for History has got me dead tired. Well, glad that's over.

Tarun, you are just the sweetest thing aren't you? :P

Andavari, your loss.

And no problem Tom. I have posted this on several other security forums too and I got more appreciation there. I don't really care for the appreciation, I just want to try and help take down the percentage of infected computers with just a few manual tweaks. :)

Time for this thread to either be locked or deleted, as it's going absolutely nowhere!

That's for sure. Although it has gotten so ridiculous at this point that it's almost funny.

I've never been called a "horrible mangy cat" before! :huh:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Solve Security Issues in Windows XP

by Ron

-> First Step is to Backup Registry - XP Home/Pro

[*] Go to Start > Run > regedit > Right click on My Computer > Export

[*] Call the file Registry_backup and save it some place you remember. Such as... In a folder on the desktop called My Stuff or something.

[*] Click Save and now you have a backup of your entire computer's registry!

Hi people,this is how I see backing up the reg works.

To quote The Elder Geek:

" * [if] a value exists in the .reg file and also exists in the modified registry [Then] the value will be changed in the registry.

* [if] a value exists in the .reg file but not in the modified registry [Then] the value will be added to the registry.

* [if] a value does not exist in the .reg file but does exist in the modified registry [Then] the value will not be removed or changed in the registry.

* [if] a value does not exist in the .reg file and does not exist in the modified registry [Then] there is no action to be taken in the registry.

The third item above, highlighted in bold, is where the trouble or weakness with .reg backup files occurs. As long as the modifications made to the registry don't stray outside the bounds of what was included in the .reg backup things are fine. But if you've added a new key or value during the editing process there can be trouble. Importing the .reg backup file does not replace or remove additions to the registry that are not referenced in the .reg backup file."

I have never used a reg backup.

As stated,anything added to the registry remains even after restoring the reg backup.

Imaging/cloning software is the way to go

Humpty,

* [if] a value does not exist in the .reg file but does exist in the modified registry [Then] the value will not be removed or changed in the registry.

That is the point. If something messes up, then the registry back up will restore it to the point before this tutorial.

Let's say the person editting the registry screws up on adding one of the D_WORD registry entries and puts it into the wrong place and somehow stops them from connecting to the internet or something. So now they can use their registry back up to get back to that original state.

If you would like, I could just add some freeware software links to help people who want imaging/cloning software. Thanks for bringing it up though. :)

Lordoftheweb, what's wrong? No one is fighting anymore. We're all happy happy joy joy. :D

Humpty,

That is the point. If something messes up, then the registry back up will restore it to the point before this tutorial.

Let's say the person editting the registry screws up on adding one of the D_WORD registry entries and puts it into the wrong place and somehow stops them from connecting to the internet or something. So now they can use their registry back up to get back to that original state.

If you would like, I could just add some freeware software links to help people who want imaging/cloning software. Thanks for bringing it up though. :)

Lordoftheweb, what's wrong? No one is fighting anymore. We're all happy happy joy joy. :D

Ron you don't seem to understand. <_<

If you add a reg entry and instigate the reg backup it ignores it and leaves it there!

• Moderators

Learn something new everyday, thanks for that info Humpty. I have known for awhile that exporting the registry from regedit on WinXP doesn't actually backup everything in the registry, which is why I always recommend ERUNT.

Oh sorry Humtpy, I guess I didn't understand what you were saying. Really WinXP doesn't back up eevrything in registry? Aww that's a shame. What about System Mechanic? It backed it up for me, so I don't know lol.

Cool Erunt is freeware and I'm taking your word for it that it fully backs up registry. Thank you Andavari. I'll add it to the tutorial.

Tarun, why do you want this thread locked? As you can see we're making progress on how to make it better. Do you not like me? :(

~Ron