CCleaner with Waterfox Portable

ArchAngle

Recently I downloaded  the portable version of Waterfox , a Firefox based browser for those who don't know , and am trying to get CCleaner to do the same good job with it which it does cleaning unwanted stuff from my installed Firefox browser.

The problem is that most of the information here and on other forums seems to relate to Waterfox being installed too rather than portable.

I understand you have to add a custom path to the CCleaner.ini but, here's the problem: the portable version of Waterfox, unsurpisingly does not use the same locations as an installed one. However, confusingly it does still create the same Users/xxx/ AppData/Local and Roaming > Waterfox folder described in the guides here for adding a custom CCleaner path to the Waterfox "Profiles" data.

The trouble is that these folders do not contain any "Profiles" data, they remain empty even after a session using Waterfox when I've installed new Add-Ons, changed preferences, edit the about:config and it has picked up plenty of, mostly unwanted, cookies etc. It seems they're not being used, so what they're there for I have no idea.

Looking in the actual  WaterfoxPortable folder, which is currently located on a separate C:\drive folder: Portable Programs, there are no "Profiles" folders there either. But in the Data folder there is a "profile" folder which appears to be the meat of the browser ie. it contains all the equivalent C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox program folders/files.

The question is: do I set this "Custom Location 1=FIREFOX|C:\Portable Programs\WaterfoxPortable\Data\profile" as the CCleaner custom path or do I need to be more specific? If so what folders/files path or paths should I set?

What I do not what to happen is for CCleaner to wipe the entire "profile" folder and destroy WaterfoxPortable in the process but I do, obviously, want it to recognise the things like the cookies, session, cache, dowload history etc and secure delete them as it does for Firefox.    

Advice appreciated.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ArchAngle said:

The question is: do I set this "Custom Location 1=FIREFOX|C:\Portable Programs\WaterfoxPortable\Data\profile"

Yes, but Custom Location is one word with no gaps/spaces in it, it's just: CustomLocation1=

And it is that Data\profile folder where you set a custom location to point to. Then open CCleaner and under Firefox enable/disable what you want cleaned, then when you clean the deleted files, etc., will be listed as Firefox in the Summary window.

Example, this is what my Firefox Portable ESR looks like configured in CCleaner Portable's ccleaner.ini:
CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|C:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile

• Moderators

I had forgot about Waterfox, however this topic had me look into it and try it. Didn't take but maybe five minutes to decide I'd switch permanently from using Firefox Portable ESR to Waterfox Portable. I didn't even have to configure it, I just copied over my Firefox profile and was up and running. Another bonus is it's 131 MB smaller.

The reason I found a need for another browser is that my preferred Firefox ESR version, which actually allows all my add-ons/plugins to work as they should, appears now to have become or been made incompatible with a UK catch-up TV channel I use occasionally. I didn't want to update Firefox and I just couldn't get on with swapping to Opera or some of the other browsers I've tried even for that one specific purpose. So I looked around for an alternative which was like Firefox but not Firefox. That's actually what I used for the search terms :).

Waterfox was consistently recommended and ticked all the boxes.

It is easy to forget which one you're using as it is essentially Firefox as it used to be. All the good old things and, so far, none of the unwanted hassles that came in with Quantum. Most importantly for me it is compatible with that catch up TV channel.