Is cCleaner now back in the "good" books?

SonicMojo

After the user population seemingly pounded Piriform in the ground over the 5.43-5.45 debacle - is the general consensus that we can use 5.47 with a reasonable assumption that the BS has subsided? Or is this thing still on high alert?

Would like to gather some intel before resuming with the recent build.

Cheers.

S

• Moderators

what has been changed?
they made the front-end honour the users selections but the back-end is still doing what it has always done.

unwanted updates are still being forced on users through the emergency updater.
usage stats are still be harvested.

I'm not saying anything about good or bad, just that I see no change in why users would trust them, after so many blatant abuses of trust and buggy software.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

7 minutes ago, mta said:

unwanted updates are still being forced on users through the emergency updater.
usage stats are still be harvested.

Good to know. I guess I will stand down.

No point using this if privacy is still being violated.

Thanks,

S

• Moderators

Comes a point though where you really have to decide to keep using an older version with caveats which are when using two of the included cleaners in older versions that have the potential to damage a Windows 10 installation (Fonts Cache, and Windows.old cleaning) which was why I updated to 5.47. For me it made no sense to even chance it, or have a lapse in remembering to not use a couple of cleaners that could break the OS.

As for it playing good and nice I use the portable version, however I did block the .EXE files in Windows Firewall so they can't phone home or elsewhere, and so far it functions without any issues. When using any build Portable, Standard, Slim, etc., you'll want to start CCleaner and go into 'Options > Privacy' and make any appropriate changes, that hopefully they will honor.