Piriform Community Forums
psychopomp1

CCleaner Pro Lifetime Licence - why has it expired?

sadly, it's very common for them with that behaviour.

actually, you could argue that you are lucky they chimed in at all - it is usually that rare.

On 11/26/2018 at 19:13, yourfutureex said:

I'm loving how they will give you a 50% discount on Pro for Cyber Monday but they marked it up so high that it's still $19.95.  I'm about to uninstall my free copy.  These people have no ethics. 

3 minutes ago, mta said:

sadly, it's very common for them with that behaviour.

actually, you could argue that you are lucky they chimed in at all - it is usually that rare.

11 hours ago, KAZiBA said:

Agreed. The least they can do is aknowledge the situation and compensate those affected.

I agree with all three. Its questionable tactics. I am glad the tech commented, I just wish it was something useful. Short of lying in the comment it's really not useful of they are forcing a new policy on old users. 

The applicable solution to this miscommunication going forward would be:

1. 1-year subscription as compensation for not clarifying to consumers about yearly subscription since it was hidden within the fine print.*

2. 75% off one-time use 1-year subscription.*

3. An apology

*Needs to provide legit receipt to be marked off

Think that receipts going forward should state yearly subscription so there is no further miscommunication and excuse to say "it was in the fine print"

LFT2.thumb.JPG.78eb624f6601aee07ac6517cd199d9e3.JPGLFT1.thumb.JPG.8e09c6024838ce2d1868da9fe2dfa7c8.JPG

Is it just me? Or...

Well, I was going to buy it, but now? I guess not. I don't see the point of "subscribing" to something that does not progress. This isn't a newspaper or a magazine.

Adobe was hard enough to swallow.

Well, having said I couldn't find a EULA on my installion disc, or in the installation folder on my PC, I realised this week that there is actually a copy in the options section of the user interface. I still cannot see anything in there that would suggest my copy is subject to an annual subscription though. As far as I was concerned when I bought it, it was advertised as a one off payment. I wouldn't be so sure the one advertised by Codes Depot isn't legitimate. They are certainly not the only retailer under the impression what they are selling is not a subscription product.

Interestingly, I received an email inviting me to upgrade to the latest version a couple of days ago. It was headed:

Introducing CCleaner v5.50, 

to boost your slowing PC

I know from previous experience that if I followed that link and downloaded it, I would be told my license has expired. On the other hand, in the past, if I ignored the email and used the program itself to check for updates it usually updates itself in a matter of seconds without a problem. Iwas a bit apprehensive considering the contents of this discussion but decided to go ahead as I do have a full system backup made each day to an external hard drive. I took the plunge, and it upgraded without a hitch as usual.

CCleaner 5.50.jpg

So the plot thickens. I believe that Avast has really screwed the pooch on this one. As I said, I searched through all the terms and conditions that I could find on the website and could not find any reference to a yearly subscription. I don't believe any court on earth would rule in their favour, no matter how much money they tipped into it. The negative publicity that they are bringing on themselves will not only trash the reputation of CCleaner but blowback on Avast and anything that they have their fingers in, after all, they are selling security products and behaving like malware. I for one will be spreading the word about their ethics.

1 hour ago, Eagle Beak said:

I for one will be spreading the word about their ethics.

Even bad press would help them.;) Look at how many tech giants misbehave, and suits against them is mere pocket change.

"Proper response?"

Yeah, they'll promise not to give a crap even harder.  I'm pretty sure Avast! couldn't care less.  Their silence is deafening enough.