Weird files show up on USB after 7 pass erase

recuber

Hi, I used the program "Eraser" and ran it twice, with "Erase" and then again "Erase Unused Space":

eraser.png

both using the 7 pass option. (Not my pic above, I used it on the USB, it's just to show the menu)

When it was done, I got this warning:

H1BmM.png

Im not sure what that means. How can I check for these so called shadow copies?

Anyway, then I ran Recuva's deep scan and enabled all the stuff in the options, and I got these weird files:

recuvaa.png

Im not sure if these files are normal or not, or anything can be recovered from there? Im just too paranoid. Some of these files are surprisingly big.. that $LogFile is 65mb... wtf? and the other $BadClus one is as big as the full size of the USB (16 GB)... what? Then $TxfLogContainer000000000000000000001 and 2 are 10mb.. I would really know what all these things are.

The USB contained .txt files with all of my bank information, all email passes, pretty much everything you want hidden, so now im too paranoid that these files can be recovered if I ever lose the pendrive. I should have put the text files inside an encrypted zip file or even better a veracrypt container but I didnt learn about encryption later on.

Should I just destroy the USB pendrive with a hammer or something or Eraser was successful and these files are normal? let me know.

• Moderators

The $nnn files are system files set up by NTFS when a device is formatted. It's unlikely that these files will contain any useful data. I don't think that removable devices have shadow copies. It's up to you if you want to reuse or destroy the flash drive.

Any Eraser questions should be directed at an Eraser forum.

• Moderators

Windows 10 very annoyingly will create a System Volume Information folder on any USB Thumb Drive doesn't matter how it's formatted! On a USB Thumb Drive I have the size of that folder is only 88 bytes, so essentially it's completely useless.

On 9/27/2018 at 15:08, Andavari said:

Windows 10 very annoyingly will create a System Volume Information folder on any USB Thumb Drive doesn't matter how it's formatted! On a USB Thumb Drive I have the size of that folder is only 88 bytes, so essentially it's completely useless.

I am using windows 7, that pic is not mine.

So basically as a I understand, these are just file system and nothing of value can be salvaged from it?

• Moderators

As I said, it's unlikely. But as we don't know whether the device was formatted, we don't know exactly what you've done, and we don't know what Eraser does, then we can't say for certain.