CCleaner Community Forums
Rik6451

tracking files

After performing a clean, there are often tracking files left. Only on a few occasions they are all cleaned.

Even cleaning several times in a row doesn't solve the problem. This issue exits for a while in different versions of CCleaner, always expecting that this would be solved in the newest update.

Don't worry too much about it, and it isn't a bug to be fixed, it's the way a computer works. - I'll explain why.

Firstly,
These files are not 'tracking' you in any way.

What the CCleaner Easy Clean screen calls 'Trackers' is not what you or I (or anyone else) would normally consider as tracking files.

I ran a test and found that  what the Easy Clean screen calls 'Trackers' are in fact simply cookies.

(Personal Comment - We think it's just an advertising 'trick' to make you think you may be being infected/tracked, and so might then install the Avast Antivirus offer.)

Use Custom Clean and go to Options>Advanced and select 'Advanced Report', that will give you a better idea of just what CCleaner is finding to clean.

Secondly,
It is normal for files to reappear after you have just cleaned them.
Your computer is using and creating temporary files all the time.
These particular files that reappear are created as empty 'storage' and 'fill up' with information as you use your computer.

Think of it like like this:

• Someone puts an empty box on your desk for you to put temporary notes in. (Windows makes an empty temporary file).
  • You gradually fill it up with notes and then throw the box away to get rid of the notes you don't want. (Windows writes things there, you run CCleaner).
  • So they immediately put a new empty box in its place for you to start filling again. (Windows makes a new, empty, temporary file).
  • You throw it away again, they put another empty one there.

So these files will always get recreated shortly after you clean, there is nothing in them until you start working again.
If you keep deleting the empty ones Windows will pause the recreating while it works out what is going on.
So for a while it may look like you have finally got rid of them, but they will be back minutes later.
It's just the way that Windows works.

NOTE - As well as Windows creating empty files there is another way that cleared/deleted files can reappear.
These days many users have their browsers (and maybe other apps) SYNCED.
If you have your browser synced then anything you clean from your computer will be restored by the syncing next time you open the browser. (That's how syncing works, it saves your data in the cloud and sends it to all your devices when you open the browser on them).
To stop that happening you have to clear the synced information from with the browsers sync settings, or turn off syncing altogether.

Thanks for your feedback. I understand that CCleaner can not delete the history synced online with Microsoft account.

In my case, the history is stored locally only (see attachment). So maybe CCleaner can include it in the items cleaning where the data is only stored locally?

2019-04-20 23_24_40-Settings.png

I think you meant to post that in your other thread rather than here?
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/53837-clean-windows-10-activitiestimeline/?tab=comments#comment-305606

I'm not sure if the Piriform developers would be interested in doing that. (We are mainly only users on the forum, the Piriform staff do pop in and read posts but don't always answer).

I think a potential problem would be that people would start complaining that it wasn't being cleared, simply because they've forgotten (or don't know) how syncing works.
We already see some of that with Chrome users complaining on here that Chrome isn't being cleaned at all, of course it is cleaned off their computer but then gets resynced again from the cloud.