Has CCleaner resolved all reported concerns?

Moondoggy

Last month CCleaner version 5.45 was removed from the download page due to some very negative, but justifiably true, stories published on the internet.  Because of the concerns over privacy and the fact that I don't like uncontrollable software running in the background I uninstalled version 5.45 and back leveled my version to 5.44 even before Piriform back leveled the version in response to the criticism.  

Today I checked and there's a 5.46 version that is now the official downloadable version and I was wondering if the concerns reported on in the published criticisms have all been resolved and it's once again safe to update CCleaner?  In other word do I now have full control of the product so I can turn off all data reporting and inquiries, even version checks?  Have they changed the product so when I'm finished running the product it actually closes so that nothing is running in the background?

Like many, I became very concerned about this product as I don't like software that does any data collection regardless of how innocent their data collection is, I don't like applications that run in the background using resources of my over taxed PC and I don't like software that attempts to install other software products in stealthy ways.  I want products that are limited to performing only their stated tasks and functions and before I upgrade this product from 5.44 I want to verify that Piriform has taken heed of the wrath of their customers and press and has gotten back on the right track.

If there are still issues to contend with please let me know as I will either stay on 5.44 or I'll remove the product all together and seek out other alternatives like some of the products that were suggested by the press.  Don't get me wrong I like the ease of use and functionality of CCleaner for it's stated purpose of cleaning the crap from my PC but I need and want a clean, unobtrusive product as well.

Let me know how this version plays out.

Thanks.

• Moderators

There has been no major shouting about 5.46 yet. (And you can bet that people have been looking for things to shout about).

There are a few niggles about some reported functional issues not being fixed yet while they concentrated on the data collection/monitoring fiasco.

But no major moans about data collection or advertising.

It seems that Piriform's changes have satisfied most, if not everybody.

Read about the v5.46 changes, and the new 'Data factsheet' here:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

54 minutes ago, nukecad said:

NukeCad,

Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded and installed 5.46 a few minutes ago and at least on the surface things appear to be OK.  I noted that by default there are things that are still enabled by default when the product is installed that one will have to change in order to opt out of having the product monitor your usage of the product  I can handle that as long as you can turn it off.  The thing that I did notice was that with all that I've turned off CCleaner no longer runs in the background when you are finished with a cleaning session.  This was a major requirement for me as my systems a bit old and resources are at a premium so I limit the number of things that can run in the background.

Edited by Nergal
removed unneeded quote attributing the post to nukecad

• Moderators

Or it could be all the lost users haven’t/won’t come back.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It would be interesting to see the latest download figures, maybe compare download figures for each version in the past 18 months?

But I'm not holding my breath, with most companies that will be classed as 'comercially sensitive information'.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043