Avast checked during install

napalm

I usually used Ccleaner for cleaning junk & liked its ease of editing the start menu.

However just today I was installing it on a friends computer and whilst reading info in the middle of the install screen/template and going through with the install I noticed to the far left it had a check box to install Avast.  Unfortunately because my attention was drawn to the center of the screen I did not notice this until right after allowing it to proceed & could not stop it nor could I uninstall Avast afterward.

It is a bad idea to have an AV install auto checked because most people already have one installed & this can cause conflicts.

Plus it should be unchecked and allow a user to install it if they read it and opt to use it.

I advise not to set it up as checked and to not trick people into installing it or anything else ever again.

As far as I am concerned the developers for this application stooped very low in doing that.

I will no longer use CCleaner nor will I advise anyone else to use it.

In fact I will now advise them against using it or anything else developed by Piriform.

• Moderators

It's been pre-selected like this ever since they started offering Avast. (They had started doing the same before that when they used to offer Chrome or the Google toolbar).

Many people have complained about it, many have had unwanted installs of Avast (or Chrome) because of it.

But Piriform have done nothing and obviously don't want to change it.

(There have also been problems with the Avast install happening even when the offer was never even shown. I've had that one twice myself).

Either be very careful when installing or updating CCleaner, or block connections to Avast in your firewall.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Luckily I installed a MS update prior to installing CCleaner which created a restore point.

I was able to reinstate the restore point and delete both CCleaner & Avast AV from the computer.

Also I was able to find alternatives to CCleaner that are not so intrusive and misleading.

Personally I don't bother with 3rd party AV's anymore as I find Defender works just fine for my needs.

It likely depends on what one frequently downloads & installs from unmentioned sources.

Regards,

napalm

• Moderators

going back a Restore Point does not uninstall software, it may at best remove them from the Programs & Features and startup lists.
check your Program Files folders, you may still need to run the Avast uninstaller program.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Restoring to a point prior to the installation does indeed render the application as not installed.

The files had to be deleted but I already stated that in my previous post if look back to verify.

On 9/2/2018 at 14:44, napalm said:

I was able to reinstate the restore point and delete both CCleaner & Avast AV from the computer.

.. yes from program files folders/files were deleted.

If the uninstaller is made by the same people then it will likely leave more junk on my computer as I do not trust the developers as this point.