Opt-Out

lindac2031

• Moderators

Maybe,

It would depend on where/how they are stored and just what you have set CCleaner to clean.

eg. If they are stored as a cookie and you tell CC to clear cookies for that browser then they will be cleared.
CC lets you set exceptions so that cookies for sites you vistit a lot don't get cleared but other ones will be.
If they are stored in the Cache and you tell CC to clear the cache then they will be cleared.

TBH Why would you join a 'service' that lets someone target ads at you?
I don't see the point in giving yet another organisation your detais so they can target you with junk.

Just use an ad-blocker to stop (most) online advertising, there are many out there to chose from.

If you are using Chrome or Firefox then take a look at the new (still experimental) browser add-ons from Malwarebytes, Ad & clickbait blocking plus malware protection all in one.
Other more traditional popular adblockers are  AdBlock, Adblockplus (different company), uBlock Origin, Ghostery, and so on.

Try a couple and pick the one(s) you like, some will clash with each other some you can run side by side.
eg. I have Adblock and Malwarbytes add-ons both running on my Firefox browser with no problems other than remembering to put the same exceptions in each, and pausing both if you do want to see ads.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Some time ago someone else was having issue with opting out of ads and then CCleaner would delete all those opt-out cookies, however you have to configure which Cookies to Keep.

In CCleaner's 'Options > Cookies' move the opt-out cookies into the Cookies to Keep list. Much easier to use a HOSTS file like MVPS in combination with a browser adblocker like uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus (added benefit is that combo will also block some malware).

• Moderators

I know that when I had an old plugin for Firefox that the opt-out were cookies for the ad company (e.g. Doubleclick).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The op had linked to an 'advertising preference' service.

You know the type:

"Register with us and will will (try to) stop adverts that are not specifically targeted to your needs".

I just don't see the point of them, you are giving someone permission to analyse your activity and then target you with advertising - but only from companies that have paid to join their scheme.

Quote from the website of that particular organisation: (my added emphasis)

Device-Identifiable Information (DII) is any data that is linked to a particular browser or device if that data is not used, or intended to be used, to identify a particular individual. Used for Interest-Based Advertising or Cross-App Advertising by NAI member companies, this data consists primarily of click-stream information (sites you have visited or links you have clicked) that, when using HTTP Cookies, is tied to a randomly generated anonymous identifier.

So by joining that 'service' you are giving them permission to collect, store, and pass to 3rd partys, data that can be linked to your device and to how you use it.

(PS. Device-Identifiable Information is specifically now covered by the new European law, organisations must ask for your permission to collect it and must give you a clear opt-out. It doesn't have to identify a 'particular individual' just an individual device - this is because a device identifier can/could be used to lead to to other information/data from that device and so lead to a particular individual user. Whether that was the original intention or not, someone could do it).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I just don't see the point of them, you are giving someone permission to analyse your activity and then target you with advertising

I don't either, and why waste time getting their cookies on your system and then jump through hoops to make disk cleaning tools you use like CCleaner, etc., play nice with those cookies, seems pointless. Just ad block them, and grab a HOSTS file, done.