Jump to content
Piriform Community Forums
enthusiast_385

Windows 10 - installed Defraggler - can't use the drive

Recommended Posts

Installed Defraggler right after OS re-install (Windows 10 32 Home) - can't see my NEC dvd drive at My Computer! ...I can't use it!

I need my drive to install games.

It is seen by my BIOS at the start-up, not working from OS field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean 'the last OS update hid the Device Manager' ?

Are you saying you used Defraggler and it made your DVD drive disappear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last Windows 10 update hided out the Device Manager somewhere. When I hit Start > Search > typing Device... won't show the Device Manager.

Yes... I've used the Defraggler right after it install and it wiped out my NEC DVD drive from My Computer and the Device Manager both!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've accessed the Device Manager through Run...

I cannot see my NEC DVD drive there - it is simply wiped out from it by your software! Will the Defraggler uninstall work?

...I can't install what is needed now! I need the drive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Try the SFC /scannow command first from an elevated command prompt.
If that doesn't work,
  • go into regedit
  • go to this key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete the entries for UpperLimits and LowerLimits
  • exit
  • reboot
 
When you restart the CD drive should be available - if not a repair install of the OS may be needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing in defraggler or its actions, that I can think of, that would cause that. Are you sure it isn't a loose cable inside to pc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nergal said:

There's nothing in defraggler or its actions, that I can think of, that would cause that.

That's what I'm thinking and it sounds more like a Windows Updated induced issue.

I had a very similar experience on my brand new laptop when Windows 10 automatically updated to the April 2018 v1803 update, it made it impossible to use the DVD drive, and caused Acer Care Center to deem my SSD as failing. The solution was uninstalling the April 2018 v1803 update which fixed the issue immediately, then two weeks later when it auto installed that update again it didn't seem to break anything vital that I could find, nothing obvious that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's you guys saying it isn't about Defraggler? - it's the OS update to 1803?

This problem is common to Windows 7 as well... they have a hotfix official file from Microsoft to Windows 7, but not to Windows 10 yet (or I didn't find).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 01:07, mta said:

When you restart the CD drive should be available - if not a repair install of the OS may be needed.

Wow... what is "a repair install of the OS may be needed"?!

And where is Microsoft hotfix under Windows 10 for this?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this issue has been around for years.
I first came across it about 6 years ago.

there was a MS FixIt for it, but I couldn't find it now. (that portion of the Registry hasn't changed from Win7 to 10, so the Win7 FixIt should still work)
there is plenty on the issue, like this one, https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs
Method 5 is the one I have had luck with in the past.

A 'repair' of WIn10 can be done by, Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Get Started.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/08/25 at 00:07, mta said:
Try the SFC /scannow command first from an elevated command prompt.
If that doesn't work,
  • go into regedit
  • go to this key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete the entries for UpperLimits and LowerLimits
  • exit
  • reboot
 
When you restart the CD drive should be available - if not a repair install of the OS may be needed.

 

Just a FYI mta,   running just SFC /scannow in Windows 10 could cause more problems than fix issues.

According to MS this is how one should use SFC /scannow in Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks Hav0c, never heard of issues with running SFC, but you learn something new everyday.

for me, SFC and DISM cover two separate areas.

I run
   >   dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth /loglevel:2
and
   >   dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore /norestart /loglevel:2


if they show component store corruption or reclaimable packages then I'll do a
   >   dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase /loglevel:2

SFC looks for modified, missing or corrupted system files.
Usually, you never need to run DISM - except for when the SFC commands itself fails.
DISM can rebuild the Windows deployment image.  then it's time for the /restorehealth command.
And after running that, you would then do another SFC and hope it completes. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That upperfilters and lowerfilters that people are told to delete in the registry (should make a registry backup of those keys first though) has been around since at least the Windows 98 era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 16:08, Andavari said:

That upperfilters and lowerfilters that people are told to delete in the registry (should make a registry backup of those keys first though) has been around since at least the Windows 98 era.

That means that the missing DVD drive is a problem from Windows 98 era?! :D:D 

On ‎29‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 03:23, mta said:

thanks Hav0c, never heard of issues with running SFC, but you learn something new everyday.

for me, SFC and DISM cover two separate areas.

I run
   >   dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth /loglevel:2
and
   >   dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore /norestart /loglevel:2


if they show component store corruption or reclaimable packages then I'll do a
   >   dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase /loglevel:2

SFC looks for modified, missing or corrupted system files.
Usually, you never need to run DISM - except for when the SFC commands itself fails.
DISM can rebuild the Windows deployment image.  then it's time for the /restorehealth command.
And after running that, you would then do another SFC and hope it completes. :)

So please learn that Windows 10 is COMPLETELY different OS!! I get confused with it all around!! :D:D 

...and (imp.!!) do the HDD defrags once a week!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, enthusiast_385 said:

That means that the missing DVD drive is a problem from Windows 98 era?! :D:D

Way back then it was caused by uninstalling some CD burning software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you tried the UpperLimit, LowerLimit registry hack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 11:42, mta said:

have you tried the UpperLimit, LowerLimit registry hack?

Didn't. I'm afraid to do this.

On ‎08‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 23:56, Andavari said:

I doubt it will work installing another disc burning software.

Search the web for fixes especially on Microsoft's website. If all else fails I know there are YouTube videos that will walk you through attempting to get the drive back.

Give this a try:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cd+drive+missing+win10

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

create a Restore Point first to cover yourself.

do the suggested registry change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×