Unable to restore registry backup files

mbolay

I ran CCleaner. Cleaned Registry and clicked "fix all issues" . Allowed it to backup. After I finished running Ccleaner, I tried to access my bank website and it says "DNS unavailable". Since this wasn't an issue before I ran CCleaner, I assumed that something was removed that shouldn't have been removed. I found the backup files (2 of them 3 minutes apart) in C:\users\my name\onedrive\documents. I followed instructions to restore backup but I got this error: Can someone help me?

image.thumb.png.940becb0d090b6e1837d2d69450c6519.png

• Moderators

Try running regedit.exe and importing it via the file menu

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

and if that doesn't help, try doing it with the PC booted into Safe Mode.
and start regedit with admin privileges.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It should be noted that windows and programs (such as antivirus) may recreate a registry entry wrongly removed, especially if working in large batches like having all checkmarks in registry cleaner enabled.  This may impair your ability to merge the back-up into your registry.  Always best to treat registry section is in my signature.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thank you both for your advice! I have tried everything and still couldn't get the files restored.  Nergal, I wish I had known that before, but I know now. I finally had to go into my network IPV4 properties and put in  "open DNS" . I tried every other solution I could find. ie; flushing DNS, releasing, renewing, etc. Nothing worked except using the open dns. It seems to be a little wonky but at least I can access my bank now.   I might call my ISP when I get the time and see if they can help me out with it. I had this problem a few years ago and I either called my ISP or my router manufacturer - can't recall which. But one of them got it all straightened out for me. Anyway, I sure do thank you guys for assisting me!!

• Moderators

can I just add a note of caution.

reg cleaning hasn't been beneficial for many years - simply no need for it.
the only time it has helped me was once, when I had malware living in the registry.
but from a space and speed view point, cleaning the registry will give you no perceivable advantages.

and if you are on Windows 10, with it's regular updates, it is always a few steps ahead of any company trying to determine what keys in the registry can be cleaned and any side-effects.

official word on the matter from MS; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

if you do want to go ahead with using any reg cleaner, as Nergal's sig stats - back it up first, and do it in small chunks.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

By default CCleaner will save all .REG backups in the Documents ("My Documents") folder, unless you've changed where it saves the backups.

1. Start > Run > RegEdit.exe

-or- via the Start Menu area Cortana/Search just type in: RegEdit

Windows should give a UAC prompt which will allow it to run it as an Administrator.

2. Then in Registry Editor ("RegEdit") click 'File > Import' and browse to where CCleaner made the .REG file backup and select it via Registry Editor (note by default Registry Editor should be pointing in your Documents/My Documents folder, so you shouldn't have to browse to anywhere), it will then attempt to import the .REG file and either tell you it was successful or failed.