[RESOLVED] Slow launch

Links

Hi everyone,

After updating to the last version of Ccleaner, I have encountered this problem:

After I click the icon the window appears, but it looks like the program is "not responding" and after 5-10 seconds it launches completely.

I have tryed reinstalling.

Windows 10 latest build, I7 @ a lot of Mghz, a lot of ram, M.2 ssd.... hardware should not be the problem.

Maybe I need to uncheck smth?

Plz help!

• Moderators

so it's v5.44 and it does work but takes 5-10secs until you see any activity?
do you use winapp2.ini or any other enhancements?

what was the previous version you had that did work OK?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

5-10 secs untill the programm actually starts.

You can see on the screenshot, that the window is not  "operable". It hangs like this at start.

No enhancements.

I do not update to each next version, so no idea, what was the last.

But this problem occures at the first time.

• Moderators

the delayed start, like the one you describe, is common when using winapp2.ini due to its size and the sheer time taken to process its contents.
but this shouldn't be your issue.

as a first try, I would rollback to an earlier version (personally, try v5.40 first) and see if that helps.

uninstall your current version first.
then go into the Program Files folder for CC and delete its contents
    (keep the .ini file if you have customised settings)
download the latest build from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds (or use FileHippo for previous versions)
reboot the PC then install CC from your downloaded file.
if you need to convert this Free version to the Pro, go to Options > About and enter your license key.

• 3 months later...

...and so

After a few new versions and installs/reinstalls the problem still remains.

The only thing, that affects this slow start are two checkboxes:

"tell me when there are junk files to clean" and "enable smart cleaning ".

I guess, that with the "not-very needed smart cleaning" on, the app stays basicaly ON all the time, so it doesn't need to start and load itself.

• Moderators

In CCleaner untick/disable the following to see if this helps:
Find the Internet Explorer area, and then untick History

History being enabled causes it to take for me at least 10 seconds, some others have reported it taking much longer.

Screenshot:
ccleaner-disable-ie-history.jpg.02e585a4b079761fec3f4c34e080da5a.jpg

• Moderators

The one thing we both have in common when I re-read your first post in this topic is we both use an SSD. I find it very odd that CCleaner (I'm using the portable version) takes longer on my laptop to launch when on an SSD and it doesn't matter if it's my Micron M.2 256GB SSD boot drive or my secondary internal backup drive Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD it takes about 5-10 seconds just like you mentioned in the first post.

Now when I launch CCleaner from my Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 2TB external hard disk it loads within 1 second. Also on another laptop with Win10 and a just a traditional spinning 1TB hard disk it also loads within 1 second.:huh:

• Moderators

I've fixed the slow loading for myself, and in an unexpected peculiar way:
* I moved my 79 KB winapp2.ini file out of the folder where CCleaner Portable is located, and then launched CCleaner which loads in about 1 second.
* I then moved that same winapp2.ini file back into the folder with CCleaner, and it now launches in about 1 second, no more delay.

I don't understand how that would fix the slow loading but it did.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Links said:

If the SSD causes this, why didn't it occure from the very first time/version of ccleaner?

I wonder if it's some sort of caching thing, either something Windows does, or something the SSD does. But how could it survive shutdown and reboots of the PC, either way I haven't a clue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I think another contributing factor to it loading slower and slower is they keep adding more stuff into it rather that be features or images, etc., it takes time to load all that stuff. When I initially first tried the newest v5.54 it took forever to load, subsequently I downgraded allot all the way back to v5.40 and it loads nearly instantly.

Adding "crap" definitely is not the way to go, especially for the crap-cleaning app.

But I'm sure, that Devs will continue to do that.  'Cuz adds and such bring money...

Nothing "free" is totally adds/bloat- free, everyone wants to eat.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
4 hours ago, Andavari said:

I think another contributing factor to it loading slower and slower is they keep adding more stuff into it rather that be features or images, etc., it takes time to load all that stuff. When I initially first tried the newest v5.54 it took forever to load, subsequently I downgraded allot all the way back to v5.40 and it loads nearly instantly.

Please could you use an app like https://www.passmark.com/products/apptimer.htm to record how long it's taking CCleaner to launch to an interactive state? If Smart Cleaning is enabled, please ensure that CCleaner is closed from both the system tray icon and the main window.

When I run this*, CCleaner v5.54.7088 launches in 0.0270s.

* Launching CCleaner64.exe using a system with Windows 10 Enterprise, i7-7600 CPU, 16GB RAM & SSD storage @ 10-15% CPU usage, 52% memory usage.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, NavyCorpsman42 said:

I just solved the problem. I went to Program Files>CCleaner>and delete winapp2. Now the program is fully functional when opened.

as was offered about 15 posts up! :)

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NavyCorpsman42 said:

There are more smartass comments on this forum than solutions. What did you contribute with your remark?

ummm.... a solution I think is what was offered.

• Moderators

OK, let's agree to disagree and move on.

glad you sort the issue out yourself then.