Problem with drive wiper

igorz

Hello,

I've just bought a Ccleaner proffesional and I would like to use a drive wiper. When I set the security to 1 pass everything works correct, but when I try doing it with 3 or more passes all of the drives become "invisible" and it is impossible to choose them to perform the operation (See attached picture). 

What am I doing wrong? How can I use a drive whipper with security of f.e. 7 passes?

Cheers,
Igor

problem.png

• Moderators

Probably because both devices are classed as SSD's. Actually I'm surprised that you were offered one pass, unless that one-pass segues into an Optimise when it's run.

It is not physically possible to overwrite an SSD page. If you have TRIM enabled on your pc and storage devices then you do not need to do any wiping on an SSD. The deleted pages will be 'wiped' by the SSD controller, and an occasional Optimise is all that's required. A multi-pass wipe on an SSD is madness, which is most likely why it isn't offered.

Oh yes, the same goes for secure file deletion. It is invalid on an SSD.

Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate your help. Could you then tell me how can I check if a I have TRIM enabled? I'm sorry if this is a trivial question, but I have a really little knowledge in this field. 

• Moderators

No question is trivial when you are seeking answers :)

Have a read here

https://www.howtogeek.com/257196/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/

(Ask if you are unsure about how to run a command prompt as admin)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com