CCleaner on Vista laptop

BigMart

• Moderators

Just for interest there is another way to get CCleaner to run in debug mode, especially if you are going to be using it frequently.

Right click the CCleaner desktop icon and select 'Properties'
On the 'Shortcut' tab add /debug to the Target, and 'Apply'.

Clipboard01.gif.6e70946fb132b68ef63704d61f426902.gif

Now anytime you run CCleaner from that desktop icon it will run in debug mode.
Don't forget that it will make a new logfile in C:\program files\ccleaner everytime you run it in debug mode.
So take the /debug off again when you have finished debugging.

I've created 2 desktop icons, one for normal mode and one for debug mode when I want it.

Capture.GIF.c5b41290fca0afff450b6e6cb6f75e0d.GIF

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigMart said:

IWent back to filehippo again for 5.40.  Stopped the video; although I got the 'Thank you for downloading', nothing downloaded!!

I personally wouldn't try to download anything from there without using an adblocker due to their ad practices. Good/popular adblockers for Firefox are uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus. Edit: And like an antivirus you only need one of them!

• Moderators

If it were my Vista machine I would run the AVG Remover tool listed here (to check it's all gone)

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlname=How-to-uninstall-AVG

Then I would do the same for Avast.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility

Reboot

Then I would try installing 5.40 (which I had saved in my downloads)

Then I would install ONE av of my choice..

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Guys.  Thanks for all your help.  Finally got round today to looking at it again.  I unistalled AVG and Avast.  Tried to download CCleaner 5.40 - didn't download, nor did 5.41 or 5.44 !!!   It pops up with the screen thanking me for downloading it (from Filehippo), but nothing is coming through.

I am now in the process of reinstalling Avast.   I think I will have to regularly check Firefox to clear the cache and downloads, and use the defrag more often .... unless someone can think of anything better, but CCleaner just doesn't want to know me !!

On 8/12/2018 at 14:42, lmacri said:

...Open your IE9 browser, go to Help | About Internet Explorer and let us know if you have Update Versions 9.0.60 / KB4014661 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: April 11, 2017) as shown below.  There is a known issue with Windows Update on Vista SP2 computers where the Windows Update Agent can saturate an entire CPU core for hours or even days (see the pinned FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums) and can seriously degrade the performance of Vista SP2 computers.  The KB number in the Update Version of your IE9 browser should give us a good indication of the last time that Windows Update ran to completion on your computer.

Hi BigMart:

Go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System and confirm you have the latest Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Vista installed as shown below.

5b7afd881946a_VistaSystemInformationServicePack.png.81e31a0068f078beab8b5f7164acc960.png

If you have Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed and IE9 continues to crash when you try to launch this browser, there is another way to check if you are affected by this common Windows Update problem.  Run a manual Windows Update (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | Check for Updates).  If your Windows Update hangs at "Checking for updates..." for more than 10 or 20 min and fails to run to completion then you're likely affected and will continue to have problems performing any CPU-intensive task until you fix Windows Update.

From the VistaForums FAQ at How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates:

"When one of these "Checking for updates..." hangs occurs the Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) v7.6.7600.256, running under the Windows Service Host Process svchost.exe, will saturate an entire CPU core (e.g., 100% CPU activity on a single core CPU, 50% CPU activity on a dual core CPU). Affected users might notice a significant decrease in system performance or hear their cooling fan run constantly when their CPU begins to overheat but there is no network bandwidth consumption or rapid disk reads/writes associated with this problem."

If IE9 is crashing on launch then I suspect that being unable to install CCleaner is just a symptom of a bigger problem.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * CCleaner Portable v5.35.6210
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS