CCleaner on Vista laptop

BigMart

I am trying to update my CCleaner on my ancient laptop.  It has been working okay until now.   Now when I try to update it it gets as far as 85-95% loading and then stops and Windows reports that the installer has stopped working.

I removed CCleaner altogether and downloaded a fresh copy but have the same problem.   I have tried running it as Administrator and in Safe Mode all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators

what antimalware do you run?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi Nergal

I don't have a resident malware program in use, but tend to run Malawarebytes every couple of months (always clean).  However what I do have is two anti-virus programs.  AVG and Avast.  I remember installing AVG, but don't recall putting on Avast.  Could this be the problem, and if so should I remove one of the AV programs?

• Moderators

Yes you should never have two antivirus (except malwarebytes in non-live scan mode).  Maybe one (avg) is stopping ccleaner from  running.  You probably installed avast along with ccleaner.  There's a checkbox that you have to uncheck in the first page of the ccleaner installer (don't feel alone there are others here who missed the checkbox too).

EDIT: just reread your original post and noticed you tried in safe mode and it still did it.  This less looks like antivirus.

Is it the installer or ccleaner that gets to 95 percent.

Edited by Nergal

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I have removed AVG.

After rebooting, I tried the installer again.  I saw no sign of a tick box.  It is the installer that seems stop c.95%.  I then get a message from Windows saying they are looking for a solution.  It then asks me to close the dialogue box, saying it will inform me if it has found a solution.  It never does!

• Moderators

Good news / bad news !

I installed the slimbuild version (what is missing from the main version?).  I ran the Analyze, which worked alright, and then ran the Run Cleaner and each time it crashed.  I tried a couple of times, re-booted the laptop but it still crashed (I sent in a report).

• Moderators

Which version of ccleaner did you install (5.45 or 5.44)?

45 had an issue where it started automatically with windows. .44 is back up as the latest version.

If you were trying the .45, will you be willing to retry with slim that's up now (.44)?  By the way nothing in ccleaner is different betwen slim and regular.  Slim just doesn't include bundled software (avast, google toolbar, chrome) in it's installer.

Okay, I reinstalled it today (having removed previous downloads).   Same problem.  It analyzes okay, but when I try to run the program it crashes.   Presumably it is pointless filling in the crash report form again.

It is version 5.44 - slim build that I downloaded.

• Moderators

can you run the program with the /debug option and post the results please, that may show where it's going wrong.
documentation here; https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/troubleshooting/running-ccleaner-in-debug-mode

but personally, I'd try an even earlier version (available at FileHippo) and give that a go first.
I've stayed on v5.40
also try the Portable build.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

bondage hey!, chains and whips - chips and dips, I like where your head's at! :lol:

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, mta said:

bondage hey!, chains and whips - chips and dips, I like where your head's at! :lol:

*covers eyes*

Having been untied (!!)I have just got round to reading your notes, mta.  I went to filehippo to download v.5.40, clicked on it, but nothing has downloaded, but nothing is actually downloading ? I get the message about watching the video while downloading and then 'Thank you for Downloading', but nothing seems to have come through?  Tried the latest version and the same?  Shall I just give up and go home?!

BTW Avast tells me there are things that need fixing, e.g. Broken registry items, PC health problems.  Can you or someone else tell me if it is trustworthy that it won't do something else to my system that will cost a fortune to fix?!  Or would running this may resolve my other problems?

1 hour ago, BigMart said:

...I went to filehippo to download v.5.40, clicked on it, but nothing has downloaded, but nothing is actually downloading ? I get the message about watching the video while downloading and then 'Thank you for Downloading', but nothing seems to have come through?...

Hi BigMart:

I have a 32-bit Vista SP2 OS and my default web browser is Firefox ESR v52.9.0 (the only fully supported major browser for Win XP and Vista).  If you have a slow internet connection you might find that downloads from FileHippo.com eventually time out because the sponsored video takes too much time to load on the download page.  Pause the video as soon as it starts playing and the pop-up to save the CCleaner installer might appear.

5b708af98b51b_FileHippoPauseVideotoDownloadInstallers.png.c61565bc708a399209ac0e107fb6c78b.png

Please note that Microsoft ended extended support for for Vista SP2 and IE9 back in April 2017.  Open your IE9 browser, go to Help | About Internet Explorer and let us know if you have Update Versions 9.0.60 / KB4014661 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: April 11, 2017) as shown below.  There is a known issue with Windows Update on Vista SP2 computers where the Windows Update Agent can saturate an entire CPU core for hours or even days (see the pinned FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums) and can seriously degrade the performance of Vista SP2 computers.  The KB number in the Update Version of your IE9 browser should give us a good indication of the last time that Windows Update ran to completion on your computer.

5b708b17b3dfc_IE9VersionKB4014661April2017.png.073ac2bbd85f9ca3aef8552645270da3.png
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * Malwarebytes Free 3.5.1-1.0.365 * CCleaner Portable v5.35.6210
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

8 minutes ago, mta said:

also, try the Slim or Portable builds from here; https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

maybe you'll have better luck with those.

Hi BigMart:

Just a word of caution that I stopped using the CCleaner Portable v5.44 currently posted at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds because that version appears to wipe all system restore points off my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine.  See my posts in sethm1's thread System Restore Points are Missing in the CCleaner Bug Reporting board for further details.  I can't be 100% certain that CCleaner Portable v5.44 is responsible but none of the Avast / Piriform employees have bothered to reply in sethm1's thread or provide an alternate explanation for the test results I've posted.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * Malwarebytes Free 3.5.1-1.0.365 * CCleaner Portable v5.35.6210
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

• Moderators

If portable does it then installed would do it too, the executables are identical

Imacri. My version of Firefox is 52.9.0.  I never use IE.  In fact when I launched it - it crashed!

mta/Nergal  I went to builds to download 'portable', and it downloaded a zip file, (for 5.44) which I extracted.  It ran and then immediately crashed again on 'Run'.  

Went back to filehippo again for 5.40.  Stopped the video; although I got the 'Thank you for downloading', nothing downloaded!!

Do I give up and go home?!

BTW  What about my query re Avast (above) Is it safe to use it to fix things ?  Maybe this might be my problem?

Finally, the debug program you mentioned , mta.   Where it says 'start - run' is that from the DOS command or the 'search' box?

Thanks for your help, guys.

• Moderators

for now, I would remove all AV's and let the inbuilt Windows AV protect you for the time being.
personally, Avast AV, although still good protection, has dropped the ball when it comes to ads and pop-ups.
I used to use/recommend those two years ago but moved on when they both went down the wrong road.
a good, trouble-free one for now is Avira.

as to /debug mode.
start a command prompt, and using CD, change the directory path to c:\program files\ccleaner (or where ever yours lives).

then type ccleaner64.exe /debug and it'll run in debug mode and run the program as you normally would.
when you exit it would have made a ccleaner64_your version_date_time.log file.
have a gander in that or attach it in your next post and let's see what stands out.