CCleaner + ME = Bad Combo

Okay, I'm only sharing this information because it might be helpful to someone else.

I installed ME on my other HD (don't freak out people I just needed to use some hardware that wasn't compatible with XP). So I formatted the HD and did a clean intall of ME.

I installed and uninstalled a lot of stuff right away then ran CC before doing a defrag. WELL! As soon as I rebooted, the OS was pratically Gone. I used a restoration CD to replace missing files and 45 minutes later it had finished copying the missing files.

My assumption is that ME installs stuff in temp folders somewhere, but I haven't confirmed that. So! This leads me to believe that CC and ME are not compatible.

When I find my first thread here I will post it, because it's the same thing. Both times that I used CC on my ME OS it has been completely corrupted.

So does anyone know off the top of their head if ME installs stuff in temp folders? That's the only thing I can think of.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

I remember your first thread about it. Good luck finding it as it seems threads from back then were deleted?

So this basically confirms it being incompatible, well at least on your system.

Yeah, it seems to be the case. Do you know if ME installs files in temp folders? It seems like something MS would do. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

There's a file in the root dir you need to check to see where it directs TEMP. I believe it was autoexec.bat or one of the batch files.

Awesome, thanks. ;)

• Moderators

Do you know if ME installs files in temp folders? It seems like something MS would do. :P

I've never used WinMe because of all the online chatter about it royally sucking, therefore I don't know anything about it. I doubt MS would install files into a temp directory, and allot of MS updates don't even use the mapped temp directory on a system they instead use: <root drive>:\Wutemp

I use CCleaner on WinMe weekly and haven't had this issue before.

Alright. So do you have any ideas as to what could be causing this? :P

Windows Me was considered by many to be bad. It never got as popular as Windows 98 Second Edition.

Any Windows operating system that uses the Windows 9x kernel/architecture really sucks, blue screen every other minute. :D

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png