Can't disable active monitoring

jhaber

Let me add my voice to the complaint. I use the free version, and like others keep finding as of late last week the icon in my taskbar and a new startup item. I can change the settings in CCleaner to uncheck active file monitoring. I can remove the startup item with regedit, or I can disable it in Windows task manager. But no, either way, it just comes back.

This is wrong on at least three counts. We have this app to keep the system clean, not to add to memory drains. It's useless, as it's really just another way to keep us with reminders of updates, which the old version did just fine. And worst, any app that doesn't allow users changes to stick is pure evil. This must change.

I totally agree with this, been using CCleaner for years - and this is driving me crazy.   I've disabled it every which way there is and yet it still comes back.  

Totally out of order.   I'm downgrading to a version that doesn't do this and won't bother installing any updates in future.

Disgraceful sneaky behaviour by whoever thought this was a good idea.  

So much this. I just updated ccleaner and I'm getting winpatrol popups that it's forcing itself into autorun with "ccleaner.exe /monitor". I have every startup/monitor feature unchecked, and I'm using free version so the monitor shouldn't even be working. Luckily the portable build is back, I'll be using that instead.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Data1 said:

I have had it with those changes

You could try version 5.40.6411 which seems to be the least bug ridden in the 5.4x versions.

Or if you wish to have a version with no influence from the owner Avast go back even further to version 5.32.6129.

Two critical bugs however:
If you use either of those never clean the Font Cache or Windows.old as it is known to break Windows 10.

1 hour ago, Andavari said:

You could try version 5.40.6411 which seems to be the least bug ridden in the 5.4x versions.

Or if you wish to have a version with no influence from the owner Avast go back even further to version 5.32.6129.

Two critical bugs however:
If you use either of those never clean the Font Cache or Windows.old as it is known to break Windows 10.

5.40.6411 is the version I am using on both my Win 7 machines until this mess gets straightened out.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

and another caveat for those using the older versions (as I am), browser cleaning may be compromised (if not now, eventually - depending on the browser version) so either configure the internal settings in your browser to 'clean on exit' (if it has that option), or get an add-on that does it, or do it manually every now and then, or run your browser in 'private mode' (as I do).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Same issue with latest update, I have used this program for years both free and pro for a short time, not at all happy with the annoying 'allow CCleaner to make changes to this computer' crap that pops up every time I start windows. It never used to do that. Also the annoying and resource using System Monitoring cannot be removed or turned off. I am finally saying goodbye to this cleaner after years of loyal use and recommendations. It also seems to clean a lot slower than it used to and slower than other cleaners. Sorry But seems this cleaner has finally passed its useful and dependable date.