Changes in v5.45 and your feedback

Guest Paul CCleaner

@ Nergal:

- I was in doubt whether or not I could use the name of the program. I decided to have a go at it. Especially because it provided guidance on why that file became so large. It was meant to provide as much details as  possible.

- Did I ask for a solution ? I told what the (special) circumstances were when the video started to stutter. And gave my thoughts and a number of suggestions.

- In a previous post in this thread "Stephen Piriform" asked me to provide more details of my system and that's why I attached that info/file to my previous post. NOT because I was so desparate for a solution. Because I already knew what the problem was, why the video didn't behave so well.

- In my experience, exceptional circumstances (like this one) always shed a better light on how a program behaves. And this special combination of circumstances certainly provided - IMO - some (VERY) useful clues, precisely because they were so exceptional. And it's up to the CC developers whether or not they want to use my suggestions to improve the program code. Whether or not they find thse suggestions useful.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

On 9/4/2018 at 00:12, Andavari said:

Everyone that's worried about CCUpdate.exe running should know you can create a Policy to block apps from running (have to admit it seems to be much less of a pain to do on old WinXP when compared to Win10) and then the OS itself will block it.

Users of Windows Home editions don't have access to Group Policy Editor.

Adding a firewall rule to block outgoing connections by CCleaner is much easier.

Even with all the "privacy" settings enabled to supposedly prevent sending of personal information, and using version 5.44, the CCleaner software is a "busy little bee" attempting to send and make contact with several different destinations. 

I decided to run just a simple cleanup of temporary files using 5.44 with my firewall (previously set) set to block all connections from CCleaner.exe.   I had (152) attempts by CCleaner across a variety of differing outgoing connections that were blocked by the firewall.  Every one of the connections blocked in the image below was originated from the CCleaner.exe application and intercepted by my Firewall rule to block them.

For anyone thinking they can disable the settings in the software to control privacy, you need to (as many here have suggested) setup a firewall block of the software.  It is pervasive and repeatedly attempting to send data from your PC to various internet locations.

CCleaner blocked attempts in one session.jpg

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, bulajap said:

Nukecad,

The one thing I have been using in CCleaner is the system restore module under tools to remove a particular restore point. Is there an alternative tool to do this ( pick and choose which point(s) to remove?

thanks

This is an official company website so an alternate will not be given here.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Guest unpinned this topic
On 20/09/2018 at 15:41, Tex2018 said:

Even with all the "privacy" settings enabled to supposedly prevent sending of personal information, and using version 5.44, the CCleaner software is a "busy little bee" attempting to send and make contact with several different destinations. 

I decided to run just a simple cleanup of temporary files using 5.44 with my firewall (previously set) set to block all connections from CCleaner.exe.   I had (152) attempts by CCleaner across a variety of differing outgoing connections that were blocked by the firewall.  Every one of the connections blocked in the image below was originated from the CCleaner.exe application and intercepted by my Firewall rule to block them.

For anyone thinking they can disable the settings in the software to control privacy, you need to (as many here have suggested) setup a firewall block of the software.  It is pervasive and repeatedly attempting to send data from your PC to various internet locations.

CCleaner blocked attempts in one session.jpg

I'd like to add that CCleaner has been phoning home for a few years now (search for past posts to confirm this), I don't think it is any different than now, just with the latest security incidents people are more 'twitchy' :)

My point is all about "consumer privacy" and not whether Piriform has been harvesting data from Users for years.  We are in an age where the privacy of the computing public is being taken for granted and without their explicit knowledge or permission. 

My post was to raise awareness of just how Piriform is doing this today even after I had set all the available options to not harvest data from my PC.  I also wanted other Users to be aware that Piriform is making multiple connections to places that I had no knowledge they were doing until I placed my ESET firewall in-between Piriform and the outside world.  I don't even know where some of those internet connections are located or what/why they are attempting to send my data there.  This is completely unacceptable to me and apparently to many other customers.  "Twitchy" would be an understatement to describe how I feel about this matter.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
13 minutes ago, Tex2018 said:

My point is all about "consumer privacy" and not whether Piriform has been harvesting data from Users for years.  We are in an age where the privacy of the computing public is being taken for granted and without their explicit knowledge or permission. 

My post was to raise awareness of just how Piriform is doing this today even after I had set all the available options to not harvest data from my PC.  I also wanted other Users to be aware that Piriform is making multiple connections to places that I had no knowledge they were doing until I placed my ESET firewall in-between Piriform and the outside world.  I don't even know where some of those internet connections are located or what/why they are attempting to send my data there.  This is completely unacceptable to me and apparently to many other customers.  "Twitchy" would be an understatement to describe how I feel about this matter.

Hi Tex2018,

Have you taken a look at the Data Factsheet we produced recently? It describes the data we collect and for what purposes, and we've linked it from the Privacy menu in the application so our users can easily review it.

The setting I think you are referring to concerns reporting of anonymous usage data. CCleaner will make other connections to our backend to perform functions such as version checks, license checks and collect purely diagnostical information used to maintain the product (e.g. what version of Windows are you running) and for crash reporting. As has been mentioned, this is not new to CCleaner and it all helps us to detect issues early, narrow down the root cause quickly, provide timely fixes for the most critical issues and also plan the technology roadmap for the software. To give a simple example: if we can see from trends that most people will have moved from Windows XP to newer versions of Windows within a certain timeframe, we can plan to use more modern and flexible libraries/techniques to optimise the product or expand its functionality for all our users, rather than invest in changes that don't benefit a significant portion of the userbase. When you have a software product more than 15 years old, it's important to have a plan to deal with legacy technology and not let technical debt build up.

@Stephen Piriform.  I have been in mainframe computing for 43 years and well understand software development, diagnostic and reporting needs.  But in today's world, companies such as yours think it is OK to harvest the customer's data first, without the customer's knowledge and later admit to it when caught doing so.  I don't think I need to remind you of why this particular thread exists in the first place do I? 

Some of the things in the "Data Factsheet" (while they may be justifiable collections to you) are not necessarily OK with me.  Saying that your company "has been doing this for years" doesn't make it OK to do so under the conditions that your "Factsheet" wants to justify.  Where is the button or single option within your software that completely shuts off all reporting at the User's discretion?  You see, some of us are not as trusting as you would have us be of what the software is reporting to a number of different internet locations. 

This country (the US) is starting to wake-up to what is (and has been) going on with their personal data being harvested in so called "justifiable" and "just trust me" means.  Things will be changing in this regard if consumers and/or their governments take a stand and put a stop to it.  It is my position that your company had better start recognizing that a paradigm shift is occurring.