Changes in v5.45 and your feedback

Guest Paul CCleaner

I have to say the level of FUD in this thread is amazing.

One way to find out what is being sent to Piriform (Avast) is to run a Wireshark trace and examine the packets.

Most would rather just repeat the FUD rather than try to actually prove their claims.

I personally have found no evidence of personal information being sent by CCleaner.

If anyone has, I would be interested in seeing it.

BTW, gathering metrics is not new. Lots of software these days gather metrics, including antivirus and anti-malware programs.

If it bothers you, simply add a firewall rule to block CCleaner from making outgoing connections.

28 minutes ago, jwoods said:

One way to find out what is being sent to Piriform (Avast) is to run a Wireshark trace and examine the packets.

Most would rather just repeat the FUD rather than try to actually prove their claims.

I personally have found no evidence of personal information being sent by CCleaner.

BTW, gathering metrics is not new. Lots of software these days gather metrics, including antivirus and anti-malware programs.

If it bothers you, simply add a firewall rule to block CCleaner from making outgoing connections.

nice damage control, mate. what about you use your high knowledge to put off a wireshark, check ccleaner behavior and submit it to your blog?. will upvote + subscribe btw. also could you help illiterate like me to simply put ccleaner to firewall rule, please 

t. mr. shekelstein

• Moderators

Keep it civil people. Thank you

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jvidal said:

Oh and BTW, BRING BACK windowsd.old cleaning. The excuse about broken video drivers is just lame.

ANYONE who uses ccleaner knows how to re-install video drivers.

It could break more than just video drivers, it could break Windows.

Disk Cleanup built into Windows itself is however the safe way of cleaning it versus using a 3rd party tool like CCleaner, etc.

• Moderators

@ayylmao,

to add CC to your Windows inbuilt firewall providing you use Defender and have no 3rd party security program, start an elevated command prompt and type this;

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="CCleaner" dir=out action=block program="C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" enable=yes profile=any
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="CCleaner64" dir=out action=block program="C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" enable=yes profile=any

adjust the program folder location accordingly if you did a custom install.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

On 7/30/2018 at 20:06, DR3WST3R said:

i'm sick of active monitoring refusing to be disabled, keeps re-activating itself and booting with pc

+1 

I agree !

It is far more than a nuisance. It borders on spying.

If a user does not want monitoring, for any reason, if said User disables the options in the settings, the soft MUST follow the settings.

You claim to be listening to users ? Where ?

Update : I found out after writing this that Piriform/Avast had reverted to v:44.

So I need to update my post to say "thank you" for listening and making it possible for us to revert to v.44 while waiting for a better v.45+ or v.46.

Edited by InfiNil
Update - got new info

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 8/6/2018 at 03:54, jvidal said:

Oh and BTW, BRING BACK windowsd.old cleaning. The excuse about broken video drivers is just lame.

ANYONE who uses ccleaner knows how to re-install video drivers.

We've actually been in contact with the Windows team about this. They explained that when a Windows update occurs (e.g. Spring Update), various files are held in the Windows.old folder and an automatic migration process is started. This includes items like graphics drivers, which are remain there until Windows can programmatically re-map the paths and migrate them to the correct place outside of the Windows.old folder. In this particular case, cleaning the folder of the graphics drivers would completely break rendering for some users (their screens would turn black). The average CCleaner user does not know how to reinstall a graphics driver when their screen is black, and even a more technical user would find it a PITA.

The technology in Windows for cleaning up the Windows.old folder has moved on significantly since the Windows.old rule was first included in CCleaner. This included a regular process for cleaning the folder with the added benefit of 1st-party knowledge of what exactly is in there. Based on this understanding and the fact that (in spite of the fact that the rule is disabled by default in CC and also preceded by a clear warning to the uninitiated) in a minority of cases it had the potential to do significantly more harm than good, we came to the conclusion that there was no longer a strong need for CCleaner to clean here, especially if it could not do so safely.

2 hours ago, Stephen Piriform said:

We've actually been in contact with the Windows team about this. They explained that when a Windows update occurs (e.g. Spring Update), various files are held in the Windows.old folder and an automatic migration process is started. This includes items like graphics drivers, which are remain there until Windows can programmatically re-map the paths and migrate them to the correct place outside of the Windows.old folder. In this particular case, cleaning the folder of the graphics drivers would completely break rendering for some users (their screens would turn black). The average CCleaner user does not know how to reinstall a graphics driver when their screen is black, and even a more technical user would find it a PITA.

The technology in Windows for cleaning up the Windows.old folder has moved on significantly since the Windows.old rule was first included in CCleaner. This included a regular process for cleaning the folder with the added benefit of 1st-party knowledge of what exactly is in there. Based on this understanding and the fact that (in spite of the fact that the rule is disabled by default in CC and also preceded by a clear warning to the uninitiated) in a minority of cases it had the potential to do significantly more harm than good, we came to the conclusion that there was no longer a strong need for CCleaner to clean here, especially if it could not do so safely.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your reasoning makes sense to me.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

A couple of questions... 

When I use Chrome "clear browsing data" and then quit Chrome and run CCleaner, I find 300,000 ... files still remaining.  CCleaner deletes these.  How do I get Chrome to clean up better?

When I use Chrome "clear browsing data" it clears my cookies for accounts I wish to keep.  Then when I try to log on, the account assumes an "attack" and I have to authenticate myself and change my password.  CCleaner allows me to choose which cookies to keep.  Is there a way to do this in Chrome or another cleaner?

I can manage started tasks by running msconfig.  I haven't yet looked for another way to clean up the Windows Register.

So I run CCleaner after shutting down Chrome (or any other browser) and then kill CCleaner with the task manager.

I appreciate the guidance from How-To Geek about CCleaner but it is seriously inadequate in offering practical alternatives.

• Moderators

@robmm76 if you use ccleaner 5.44 instead of .45 you won't need to kill the ccleaner process.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, robmm76 said:

...or I could just turn off monitoring.  This doesn't help with the other problems.

As stated in .45 you cannot turn off monitoring, that's why current was rolled back to .44

If you have other problems (with .44) please start a thread so members there can focus on your issue(s).

• Moderators

What "questions at hand"? I don't understand what you mean. This issue that the thread focuses on is for ccleaner 5.45. As I said, this version is defunct.  It has been replaced with an earlier version.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, robmm76 said:

I appreciate the guidance from How-To Geek about CCleaner but it is seriously inadequate in offering practical alternatives.

This isn't the place for alternatives.  This is an official company website. Mentions of competition software will be edited.

Having read this entire thread, beyond the obvious breach of trust issue, there is something that really bothers me.  It is that Piriform thought that it was OK to do this by omission of notice thereby not notifying the customer.  That is very much like what we've seen happen at Google, Facebook and the like.  Wake up.  People don't like this kind of stuff at all and it is never OK to do it first and wait to see if anyone finds out later.  That is what just happened to Piriform customers and why some have lost trust with this company (myself included). 

This is really bad behavior from a company that is supposed to be helping the customer make their PC's more secure.  I have been a paying customer for CCleaner Pro and still have life on that license.  And by the way, I've reverted to version 5.44, but it too still has several areas that the User needs to disable regarding information gathering by Piriform.  I've also blocked all outgoing ability of the software in my firewall and am looking for a replacement (not free) that is from a more reputable company.

On 8/6/2018 at 02:57, jwoods said:

Right...

Like we have nothing else to do but run Wireshark or create FW rules for functionalities which ought to be "optionable" and "selectable" by the user !?

I don't do FUD, I can imagine several valid reasons for CCleaner or any product to "phone home" e.g. find out if there is an update would be the first one.

(But the functionality ought to be an setting selectable by the user - which it is, I know that I can (dis)activate the checking for updates... I don't know if it prevents CCleaner from calling home afterwards though, I haven't tested it yet.)

16 hours ago, robmm76 said:

A couple of questions... 

When I use Chrome "clear browsing data" and then quit Chrome and run CCleaner, I find 300,000 ... files still remaining.  CCleaner deletes these.  How do I get Chrome to clean up better?

When I use Chrome "clear browsing data" it clears my cookies for accounts I wish to keep.  Then when I try to log on, the account assumes an "attack" and I have to authenticate myself and change my password.  CCleaner allows me to choose which cookies to keep.  Is there a way to do this in Chrome or another cleaner?

I can manage started tasks by running msconfig.  I haven't yet looked for another way to clean up the Windows Register.

So I run CCleaner after shutting down Chrome (or any other browser) and then kill CCleaner with the task manager.

@robmm76 : I believe you're off-topic (this is not a discussion about browsers or Chrome) and also on the wrong forum, this is not "How-To-Geek"... you must have followed the wrong link or URL.

This forum is exclusively about Piriform(/Avast) CCleaner. 

Just had to make an account to say how incredibly disappointed and disgusted I am with Piriform/Ccleaner and their "jump on the bandwagon" way of doing business.  The hypocrisy is duly noted and your semantics of explanation borders on being an oligarchy. Shame on you! 

I'm moving on to something else...

On 8/3/2018 at 09:30, Stephen Piriform said:

...Today we have removed v5.45 and reverted to v5.44 as the main download for CCleaner while we work on a new version with several key improvements. You can grab version 5.44 from one of the links below...

Does anyone know of a reputable download site that has older versions of CCleaner Portable (ccsetup5xx.zip)?  I'd like to revert back to v5.34 or v5.35, i.e., after the bundled Floxif malware of v5.33 but prior to the Emergency Updater of v5.36, intrusive pop-up advertisements of v5.44 or the latest Active Monitoring fiasco of v5.45.   

I can't downgrade to the CCleaner Portable v5.44 posted at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds as suggested in this thread because that version wipes every system restore point off my 32-bit OS.  See my posts in sethm1's thread System Restore Points are Missing in the CCleaner Bug Reporting board for further details.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.2.13 *  Wise Disk Cleaner Portable v9.7.6

• Moderators

what I have done in the past is download whatever build you are after and using 7-Zip, just extract the ccleaner and ccleaner64 executables and copy those into your folder you already use for the current Portable build.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MWexe said:

Actually those are just the installers, but combined with MTA's suggestion above will work.