Changes in v5.45 and your feedback

Guest Paul CCleaner

Guest Paul CCleaner

In CCleaner v5.45 we extended existing analytics functionality in the software in order to gain greater insight into how our users interact with the software.

This data is completely anonymous, and through collecting it we can rapidly detect bugs, identify pain points in the UI design and also understand which areas of functionality we should be focusing our time on. Most modern software companies collect anonymous usage data as it is very helpful when prioritising bug fixes and future improvements in the product experience. For example, we can see that many of our users have upgraded to the Professional edition but have never switched on the 'scheduled cleaning', which is one of the main benefits of the paid product. From this we know we need to work harder to make this paid-for feature more obvious in the CCleaner UI.

Since the release, you have shared your feedback and we have been listening. Some of you are concerned that CCleaner might be accessing and sharing your personal data. To be clear, CCleaner does not collect any personal data. Some of you told us that you do not want to share even anonymous usage data. After listening to your feedback we realize we need to provide you with a better level of control for anonymous data collection.

When it came to adding the new analytics, the simplest way to do so was to extend the 'Active Monitoring' feature. Active Monitoring has been in CCleaner for a number of years and is essentially just some intelligent triggers for alerting you to clean out junk data when a lot of it has accumulated, and also for keeping you updated with the latest (and safest) cleaning definitions. Scary name aside, these contextual cleaning alerts help to remind people that cleaning is more of a maintenance task than a one-shot solution. Over time junk files will continue to be generated and more tracking files added and these alerts help our users to stay on top of that.

Back to v5.45, and to what we have learned: combining the new analytics with the Active Monitoring feature was quick to implement, but it doesn't offer a lot of flexibility in terms of controlling these distinct items separately. Lesson learned: simplest isn't always best.

You spoke, we listened. Here's what we're doing:

1. We will separate out Active Monitoring (junk cleaning alerts and browser cleaning alerts) and heartbeat (anonymous usage analytics) features in the UI and we will give you the ability to control these individually. You will have the options of enabling all, some or none of these functions, and this functionality will be uniquely controlled from the UI.
  2. We will take this opportunity to rename the Advanced Monitoring features in CCleaner to make their functions clearer.
  3. We will deliver these changes to the software in the coming weeks.

11 hours ago, mitchkenn said:

In the coming weeks?

Wow .... nothing like getting right to it!

CCleaner could've easily posted the previous version as a download for those wanting it. One would have to very naive or a T rump supporter not to believe they have something up their sleeves. 

14 hours ago, DR3WST3R said:

i'm sick of active monitoring refusing to be disabled, keeps re-activating itself and booting with pc

Me too !

It's very unpleasant to have an option who don't care of the user's choice !!

After the irrelevant change of presentation results on spring 2018, CCleaner's UI evolutions become painful.

Best regards,

Pascal

• Moderators

@Paul Piriform

You said in this linked post: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52285-piriform-personal-security-concern-with-ccleaner-latest-v-5456611/?tab=comments#comment-298098

The new CCleaner heartbeat reports only non-personal, absolutely non-identifiable usage information for the purpose of improving CCleaner. This could be, the percentage of users who have experienced a crash, or are using scheduled cleaning.

Are you prepared to tell us exactly what information heartbeat is reporting, so that we can see for ourselves that there is nothing that would identify our devices?
Not "This could be.." but "This is.."

Quotes from this thread:

...combining the new analytics with the Active Monitoring feature was quick to implement, but it doesn't offer a lot of flexibility in terms of controlling these distinct items separately. Lesson learned: simplest isn't always best.

I simply call that lazy (possibly even inept) programming.
If you go for a 'quick to implement' without considering the consequences then it will usually come back to bite you, as it has here with a vengance.

We will deliver these changes to the software in the coming weeks.

In the meantime how about pulling v5.45 from the download pages, builds pages, and Filehippo, to avoid inflicting this issue on any more users? (Maybe put 5.44 back)

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

How could this program have this update pushed out in it's current form?  Everytime the program runs it starts a new start up entry for it to run at start up, I see no reason for that.  Also you can no longer disable active monitoring?  CCleaner isn't the kind of program people leave running all the time, I know most users use it rarely to clear out junk, that's about it.

So what's going on?  Wanna collect some of that Activity Data to sell off to advertisers so they can build usage profiles on us?  I see no reason for CCleaner to be running like it is in it's current state, this seems shady and if it is not resolved quickly, you will lose someone who pays for your product.

Return CCleaner to actually closing when you close the program and for it to no longer attempt to make itself run on startup.

I am thankful that Piriform has responded and seems to both (a) understand and (b) intend to remedy. However, I must admit I am very cynical about the nature of this mistake. What kind of "privacy" company releases that sort of update? The new version secretly monitors a user's behavior, initiates that monitoring, re-initiates that monitoring when monitoring is turned off, deliberately counters all user input to the contrary, has no turn-off button, and displays no evidence of the monitoring in any intuitive fashion. I find it hard to believe that this is a typical oversight, the type which, in the usual course of regular updates, simply slipped through the cracks. I hope that this will be rapidly fixed and will be the end of such snooping and (worse) such non-transparent settings interfaces.

This is my own initial thread on the matter ...

Several other users have commented negatively, in that thread and in other similar threads.

16 hours ago, nukecad said:

Are you prepared to tell us exactly what information heartbeat is reporting, so that we can see for ourselves that there is nothing that would identify our devices?

In the meantime how about pulling v5.45 from the download pages, builds pages, and Filehippo, to avoid inflicting this issue on any more users? (Maybe put 5.44 back)

These suggestions are important. They should be implemented promptly, in my opinion.

(PS -- moderators, you may feel free to delete the other posts by me from this thread, I can't figure out how to get rid of them.)

I can see I'm not the only person that is having this issue with ccleaner. I tried to disable it in windows startup and even in msconfig, but this little irritating SOB keeps popping up. So, what is the use of having the option within the program if it’s not going to work? Is there an ulterior motive? Weeks to fix? Guess I’m going back to the previous version.

Pssshhht.. I already removed the program as i found that ccleaner was running on the background.. i do not trust piriform enough for these kinda things..
So i am using [competition] instead

Edited by Nergal
removed competition software name

Well..Welll, Today marks the long long relationship CrapCleaner and Now CCleaner we had and I am saying adios to

the program which is NOW and should be called FullofCrapCleaner...thank you for nothing avast you messed UP and screwed UPa real nice relationship!!

'Never Forget'
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
C6VTfcL.png

Dear Paul Piriform. First change your name you should be Paul Avast, be honest. Then you can save the Piriform name you paid so much for. If you continue to pose as Paul Piriform, people will dislike Piriform. Be Paul Avast and you can save face.

Your being vague.  Your not answering if your going to re-add all the boxes to uncheck. Address now, because your being bashed by Windows Review Expert Sites. If you don't nobody will even dare to come back. They will already have chosen a replacement they paid for.

Avast Anti Virus gives us boxes to uncheck. if you want to run everybody off go for it, but don't forget to take the Avast uncheck boxes away also, play fair.

You ran me off from Avast, as it constantly gave me Blue Screen of Deaths for awhile. I'd disable Avast having no Anti virus and I was safe. Paul thanks for the early warning with the BSOD's I predicted this day would come.

But I'm not your problem, somebody else is and its bad. Do a Search and read what Windows review sites are saying & telling the truth, about CCleaner Windows whoops. Hint: I'd upload something with all the uncheck boxes right now. 

You ran me off from CCleaner Mac. Read the thread Paul, it don't work, and month by month go by and you do nothing. I warned you as a friend, months ago to pull it, you degrade my intelligence. Ran me off CCleaner Windows. Lost me three times. And I'm not even talking about CCleaner 5.33. I'm being polite. Remember. All your first editions are failures.

Now the magic day has come, did you do an Internet Search & find it? That Free Publicity has ruined Avast. Yep and I warned you.

All of this because you added an invasive and forced background process (and clearly on purpose, as the systray icon doesn't have the regular "Exit" option...), people are ranting more than you expected, and now instead of just removing that crap, you say a lot of blahblah and plan to just move the thing a bit.

Remove that crap. Your users are power users and you won't fool them. If you persist with this crap, a competitor will take your place and you'll lose *a lot* of market share for sure. You have everything to lose here...

I just came in here to tell you that the CCleaner I have been used for many years is now uninstalled.

It's not Priform owned anymore or what has happend? Does Avast own Piriform and CCleaner?

Either way I will not go back to using this program and I also want my license money back since this is not what I Paid for.

And I also do not want any Avast spying cheating programs on my computer at all!

See you (not), good luck and f*** you!

9 hours ago, uuu said:

Dear Paul Piriform. First change your name you should be Paul Avast, be honest. Then you can save the Piriform name you paid so much for. If you continue to pose as Paul Piriform, people will dislike Piriform. Be Paul Avast and you can save face.

well to be honest, he lost that name too.
Also Avast is gonna be marked as bad in the books from now on.
There is nothing to be saved.

I've registered here for no other reason than to say: I'm off.  With the latest release and the behaviour that has been deliberatly incorporated I have uninstalled CCleaner Pro.  As others have stated, for a program originally called Crap Cleaner to introduce Crap is unforgiveable and you have simply lost my trust.

Goodbye.

Just wanted to inform you that I never accept this sneaky attack on my privacy. I don't believe your statements.

I have uninstalled CCleaner and will tell everyone in my social media sphere about your practices. Additionally I work in the IT department of a medium sized company. I will ensure that no more products from Avast will be bought and used.

Well said, CCleaner users are Power Users. The degree level of pulling a con on a wise guy is much more difficult. If fact impossible, after one wise guy who owns a Windows Review Site, snitched.

Paul Piriform -real name "Paul Avast", thought he could trick Power Users, he did right in this thread, and then failed as Admin, to edit his sweet talk post. "Paul Avast" did't like my advice to save face he could still pull of the con on 66% if he re-adds back the uncheck boxes in 24 hours. Failed to hit the deadline. Paul your in a world of hurt.

I have good news Mark Zuckerberg, will buy Avast for pennies on the dollar, now that your company has lost all creditable value. The damage is done, you ruined your investment & the Piriform name. This is no joke, can you imagine Mark Zuckerberg being your savior, telling the public what you did is wrong and as a service to the Public he is fixing you and adding Avast Free & CCleaner Free for all Facebook & Instagram Platforms imbedded . He really needs your product. Can you submit my commission please?

Paul did you find what big name review site has exposed you? Better hurry or somebody will post it right in your Forums. Somebody also will write to CBS's 60 Minutes, amongst others. 60 Minutes has featured stories on analytics, they really think these stories are important to the world, letting people know about data thieves.

I'm your friend. You OK buddy, you still working or did Avast say you can't post anymore?

Avast bought Piriform & AVG.