(work around) Enable Active Monitoring

I have managed to delete the setting in the registry to turn off, Active Monitoring, but the current version that was just released, does not disable active monitoring by unchecking the box in the Options/Monitoring TAB.  Don't ever force these options on the users.  They will not like it.  Cheers!

Still loving the pro-version, for many years.

- np

Ok, so I deleted the registry key for the monitoring.  Yet, CCleaner is in my tray again.  Guess I'll write an application to kill the CCleaner64.exe process after rebooting.

Let me know when you guys have that figured out.

Cheers!

I just noticed this behavior after upgrading CCleaner as well - and I agree that this is the kind of thing that will annoy the kinds of users that are like to use tools such as CCleaner (honestly I feel a bit wierd about a crap cleaner having "active monitoring" tools, just the kind of crap I use to deactivate with said tool).

Would very much like a quick fix for this - really don't appreciate unwanted background services running on my machine.

I can't disable "Active Monitoring". Please make it an option in the next update of CCleaner Professional. I dislike this kind of "help" that consumes CPU-power and does not give me any benefits.

If you do not follow my proposal (next version), I will stop using Professional and go back to the free version.

Ok, so I think I got it worked out.  So far, it has not auto-started.  Open CCleaner, go to Tools, then Startup.  "Delete" CCleaner entries from "Windows" Tab and from the "Scheduled Tasks" Tab.  Disabling them did not work.  But it looks like after deleting them, they did not come back.

Disregard, no go.

- np

Ok, so I just wrote a batch file to kill the process.  Here are the steps.

• create a batch file .. whatever.bat
  • add the following:
@echo off
taskkill /im ccleaner64.exe

The taskkill function requires admin, so, just create a shortcut to your batch file.  Then on the shortcut, go into advanced settings and check the box, Run as Administrator. (see image)

If you are running the 32 bit version, I think its all the same, except remove the "64" inside the batch file.

Cheers!

- np

a.png

Disable: Enable system monitoring, Enable browser monitoring, Enable active monitoring( options/monitoring).

Uncheck Run ccleaner when the computer starts, and show ccleaner in the windows notification area( options/settings).

Close ccleaner, and kill in task manager CCleaner64.exe if it is still there.

Delete registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\CCleaner Monitoring

Restart pc, after restart you may enable checkbox "ccleaner in the windows notification area" to see ccleaner app in notification area when is minimized.

wait, if you disable "show ccleaner in the system tray", that generates another problem: when you minimize CC, it just disappears, no taskbar, no system tray. The process keeps running as a phantom process, though.

Done all of that.  It still comes back after you run CCleaner once or twice.  Anyhow, my batch file is still working perfectly.  I never need to minimize or have running in background.  I use the app, I close down the app.  No worries.  They will fix their side of things.  The owners have already posted that, in case you missed it.

Cheers!

- np

I'm attaching two files, as well as the associated script/code that will kill the process without having to open Task Manger all the time.  One is a batch file to manually run after you've used CCleaner and the other is a Task that will kill the process 30 seconds after any user logs on (this ensures it has had time to load, first, before attempting to kill it).  I'm not a coder, and I don't write stuff like this (much) so these are rudimentary but they work.  I don't see a way to auto-kill the task after closing the CCleaner window as the monitor uses the same process that runs the entire program, but someone may be able to improve upon this.

The following script and code can be copied and pasted into Notepad and then saved as their respective file types.  The batch file should be manually run after using CCleaner and the XML file can be imported into Task Scheduler.

**Batch File Script:**

@echo off
Taskkill /IM ccleaner64.exe /F
Taskkill /IM ccleaner.exe /F

**Scheduled Task XML Code:**

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.2" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2018-07-31T09:25:50.4002489</Date>
    <Author>2J02CX1\newtonmcnay</Author>
    <Description>Kills CCleaner processes set to auto-launch.</Description>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Delay>PT30S</Delay>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>2J02CX1\newtonmcnay</UserId>
      <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>taskkill</Command>
      <Arguments>/IM ccleaner64.exe /F</Arguments>
    </Exec>
    <Exec>
      <Command>taskkill</Command>
      <Arguments>/IM ccleaner.exe /F</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>

CCleaner Killer.bat

CCleaner Killer.xml

• Moderators

This is all getting a bit excessive when you can simply roll back a version to stop it.

OK it's good practice to delve deeper into things, but still.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

The first workaround posted by TheOwner works reliable:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52329-workaround-how-permanently-disable-monitoring-in-5456611/

Easy version:
- Open CCleaner and uncheck "Enable Active Monitoring" under Options > Monitoring.
- Close CCleaner.
- Run the following batch file as administrator. First copy and paste into Notepad and save as e.g. "cc.bat":

@ECHO OFF
TASKKILL /F /FI "IMAGENAME eq CCleaner*"
SCHTASKS /Change /TN "CCleaner Update" /DISABLE
REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "CCleaner Monitoring" /f

That doesn't work.  Still comes back after a double reboot.  Mine works though, as its only job is to kill the exe, as the APP, has it built in, to put those items back that you think you turned off and or deleted.

Some day, when they fix the issue, I can stop using my oneliner batch file.

right up there ..

Cheers!

it doesn't if you delete the ccupdate task from task scheduler.

steps:

-disable all monitoring.

-remove the ccleaner /monitor startup entry.

- close ccleaner

- kill ccleaner/ccleaner64 task

-delete ccupdate scheduled task

that works. tested.

be careful NOT to uncheck the option to show cc in the system tray or else cc disappears when minized (yet ANOTHER bug in this awful version)

6 hours ago, noahphense said:

That doesn't work.  Still comes back after a double reboot...

Sorry, but it works! Why should I confirm/post a workaround that doesn't work?! I used the workaround on 3 different systems and on all 3 systems the "Active Monitoring" still stays off (for 7 days now, no matter how often I reboot).

If you read the many other posts, you will see that the "CCUpdate.exe" is the culprit. But if you have disabled the scheduled task, the "Active Monitoring" isn't able to reenable itself. The scheduled task gets created while installation only. Therefore, if you disable it, it stays disabled.

8 hours ago, APMichael said:

Sorry, but it works! Why should I confirm/post a workaround that doesn't work?! I used the workaround on 3 different systems and on all 3 systems the "Active Monitoring" still stays off (for 7 days now, no matter how often I reboot).

If you read the many other posts, you will see that the "CCUpdate.exe" is the culprit. But if you have disabled the scheduled task, the "Active Monitoring" isn't able to reenable itself. The scheduled task gets created while installation only. Therefore, if you disable it, it stays disabled.

It definitely doesn't work for me.  I've deleted the task, registry entries, everything, and the option for active monitoring still reactivates, reinstalls the task, and so forth.

Why the active monitoring?  Don't you people get it?  Look what happened to FB - $100 billion drop in stock.  Why do you think it is ok to monitor people and try and tell us it is for a better product?  Better yet - why don't you tell people up front what you are trying to doo instead of just sneaking it in? Or give us a way to verify your claim it is just anonymous data.  What are you collecting and why?  When I delete my IE history are you downloading it for other purposes?  A once trusted utility has sold out and is now spyware - and tries to cover it up with a "fake" disclaimer.   I'm not only going to remove this software I'm going to find a way to replace it once and for all with my own script process.  PS - does Avast! software protect me against spying by CC?