Thanks to all who responded, glad to know I'm not the crazy one. It may be worth noting that my initial post now turns out to be inaccurate. Whereas I complained in that post that there were TOO MANY steps in CCleaner's settings and dialogs to disable CCleaner's Active Monitoring (I described three steps plus re-start), in fact there are NO steps which would do that. One CANNOT disable Active Monitoring via ANY settings in CCleaner, because (as others in this thread attest, above) CCleaner will re-enable Active Monitoring despite any steps to the contrary. One must depart from CCleaner and then either edit the register, or write a script, or do something else external to it, in order to circumvent Active Monitoring's re-establishment. I have uninstalled CCleaner. Give Piriform their due, for, in response to these concerns, they have posted a link, which I followed and cut-pasted a bit ... This in not the entirety of their statement. A lot of their statement implies the "why" rather than the "how" -- we make more investigations into the nature of user behavior, the internet is forever growing and changing, we keep records of your behavior only in benign manners in order to understand user needs for future updates, active monitoring reduces interaction and interface time, whatever, etc. etc.. You can find the link to it higher up in this thread and I recommend all should read Piriform's words from Piriform themselves rather than cut-pasted by me. Well, I'm cynical now. I previously thought of CCleaner as one of the more up-front and decent pieces of software out there, and I hope I can go back to thinking of it that way after this particular kerfuffle. Looking forward to the announced changes being implemented. Until then, I feel very very burned, and will remain skeptical.