Going back to version 5.40

jengr2015

I am running windows 8.1 with IE 11 which I don't use. However, I am using Google chrome! Can I get a good cleaning if I continue to use this Version? I would like to use the most updated version but they all have issues.

• Moderators

It hasn't properly cleaned Chrome for years, just look around the forums. You can set a bookmark in Chrome to instantly load it's built in cleaning ability using this:

chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

And it's still hit and miss when or if it will clean IE or Edge without complaining about them being open/in use or taking too long to clean them.

Other than that here's what I've did using an older version with known critical bugs that can damage Win10:
* Analyze using the cleaner Font Cache -- then right click what it finds and Exclude what it lists, now it can't break Win10 even if you select that cleaner. Note that I've even did that on my old WinXP system, better safe that sorry.

* Analyze using the cleaner Windows.old -- then right click what it finds and Exclude what it lists, now it can't break Win10 even if you select that cleaner.

• Moderators

To easily exclude Font Cache and Windows.old it's the quickest way since you won't have to hunt down the directories where those files are stored, so yes for Font Cache analyze then exclude what it finds. If you even have any Windows.old files available you'd exclude those too.