Old Version

jwall

• Moderators

older normal builds are available at FileHippo.

don't know about Slim or Portable builds though.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

The difference between standard and slim is just the 'bundled offer' in the installer. Once installed they are the same.

There are threads on here that also tell you which files to copy from the standard installation to make the portable version.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

The difference between standard and slim is just the 'bundled offer' in the installer. Once installed they are the same.

There are threads on here that also tell you which files to copy from the standard installation to make the portable version.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Sorry I don't know for sure, I don't have call to use it.

I wouldn't get it from any 'collection' anyway, it's freely available on the Piriform Builds page:

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Remember that this data collection is nothing new, software companies (including Piriform) have always done it - they just didn't have to tell you clearly before.
Most of what is being/has been being collected is harmless, but the new laws were brought in to stop them collecting stuff that could be used to identify you unless they had your explicit (clear) permission.

Nobody has suddenly started collecting data, they've always done that - But now (in the EU) they have to tell you clearly and get your permission before they collect certain types of data.

It makes me chuckle when I see people say that they will never use a programme that collects any data.
Guess they're chucking their computers away then, or at least never going online, because as soon as you open your browser someones collecting data.

The pop-ups and other stuff are just annoying advertising crap which we knew was coming after Avast took over, it's just a question of how annoying it's getting.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Note that at Filehippo the last CCleaner version 5.44 has been removed from downloads (hopefully it's not to stop people downgrading to last version)

As to the data thing and Monitoring not being able to be turned off , I think what a lot of people are upset about with 5.45  is this......

'''CCleaner now sends a heartbeat every 12 hours which reports up-to-date usage statistics to allow for faster delivery of bug fixes and product improvements'''

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
15 hours ago, bulajap said:

do you know if the portable version ( from Portable Freeware Collection) has all this nonsense ( popups, collection of info)?

thanks

I think people were getting that popup from the portable build in the previous version - I can't confirm because I avoided it.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, nukecad said:

Remember that this data collection is nothing new.........

I couldn't agree with you more, Nukecad, but you might as well be typing in invisible ink.

• Moderators

LOL, How's this?

Remember that this data collection is nothing new, software companies (including Piriform) have always done it - they just didn't have to tell you clearly before.

• Moderators

I totally agree, the 'heartbeat' thing will be a step too far for many.

Just trying to point out that the data collection is not new, if it wasn't for GDPR they would just have carried on without mentioning it except for under 15 layers of small print.

About the only thing that could possibly save their bacon now is if they give a very clear listing of just what exactly is being collected, by 'heartbeat' and by anything else.

PS. I wonder if the devs are too busy scanning situations vacant to answer here? (I'm pretty sure I would be in their shoes).

• Moderators

Not entirely,

Rolling back to an earlier version will avoid the pop-ups and the new 'heartbeat' crap.
(Which I don't have because I saw the early shouting before I had updated, and the pop-ups stopped on their own).

There will come a point though where the old versions will not be cleaning new developments in the browers (and elsewhere).
So it's just delaying the inevitable for a while.

• Moderators

True, but many of the objectors are objecting about data collection. Rolling back will just out a cloak over that, if anyone actually  has a cloak these days apart from Dracula.

• Moderators
On 7/27/2018 at 04:54, nukecad said:

Rolling back to an earlier version will avoid the pop-ups and the new 'heartbeat' crap.

And avoid a ton of bugs that got introduced in the 5.4x versions on Windows.

On 7/27/2018 at 05:54, nukecad said:

There will come a point though where the old versions will not be cleaning new developments in the browers (and elsewhere).

So it's just delaying the inevitable for a while.

In that case,  I guess it's time to dump CCleaner and move on to another utility.