CCleaner Free 5.45.6611 64 Bit : Active Monitoring Issue

Under Options / Monitoring / Enable Active Monitoring; When disabling this feature by unchecking its box, CCleaner will not stop active monitoring, and the box will not stay unchecked.  I have made sure CCleaner does not automatically start, and all monitoring features should be turned off, and after a reboot, the active monitoring feature is re-enabled and CCleaner is running, and shows in my taskbar system tray.  This seems to be a possible bug.

Current System:

WIN 10 PRO 64 Bit / Intel Core i7-4790K CPU 4Ghz / 16GB Ram / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Strix / Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB / 1 TB HD / 2 TB HD / SoundBlaster Z Audio

• Moderators

Thank you for your report.  Many other posters have also noticed the same.  Hopefully the developers will move quickly on this (and other) bug(s).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yes, the same problem over here on Windows 7. It´s very annoying!!  :-(

I'm thinking about uninstalling CCleaner until they solve it because whenever I switch on the PC, always I´ve to restart Windows session after disabling CCleaner monitoring.

• Moderators

well, if there was any reason to uninstall CC and finally find a replacement, this release would fit that bill, or the previous release, or the one before that, or the one......

hmmm, I'm seeing a pattern here, maybe Piriform actually wants us to jump ship. B)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

yep ... and after a flood of reports the eerie silence from the developers continues .... not good. for myself, i've rolled back to earlier version. if not resolved soon, i may look for a substitute in the near future. as Mick and the Stones said "I am waiting ...."

I posted this a few hours ago on topic #52341 - it's relevant to this topic too - I hope it helps.

With Windows 7; what I have discovered is that if you run CCleaner.exe (13364kb) rather than CCleaner64.exe (18100kb) the program seems to deactivate the monitoring as requested and keeps it deactivated.  The version is still V545.6611 and both are in the  CCleaner program folder.

Curiously the CCleaner.exe version appears also to run the 64bit version - at least that's what it says - if you believe anything anymore.

UPDATE:

With Windows 10 - 1803 the same functionality occurs as with Windows 7 above.

(Note: Also with Windows 10 - 1803 on a 32bit PAD)

But initially the CCleaner.exe program does load  the CCleaner monitor and this needs to be deleted from the Registry else it will initialise at start up - though you can stop it running at the UAC prompt.

These are just workarounds - AVAST should fix this problem.  It's very disappointing and I trust  this error is not a sign of things to come!

UPDATE for 64bit Windows:

My comment above "Curiously the CCleaner.exe version appears also to run the 64bit version"

If the OS is 64bit, then yes it does - so just rename the CCleaner64.exe program to something else and then as the program cannot be found it cannot be run.

The 32bit version doesn't appear to display the same issue.

Edited by arensky
Update for 64bit Windows

16 hours ago, arensky said:

AVAST should fix this problem

Ooooooh, I'd forgotten Avast had their fingers on the keyboards with Piriform. THAT explains a lot...

Off topic, but with the way Avast Antiviral insidiously operated in the background over the past few versions (as well as magically misreported non-existent issues requiring "Upgrade To The Paid Version To Solve These" - ??), I've recently ditched that software package in all of my own systems. And after demonstrating how that package refused to play in a fair and open manner to a significant percentage of my paying client base (both private and corporate/business users) Avast will be losing customers down this end of the planet for that product.

I actually came in here to add to the increasing list of concerned/annoyed users reporting this recent issue of Monitoring in 64-bit Windows refusing to stay disabled in the past couple of releases.

Honestly, such a problem simply demonstrates a chronically critical (and blatantly obvious!) error that Piriform have either deliberately added in, or have chronically demonstrated that their Software QA/Testing Team need a good solid kick between the uprights.

I'm not sure which of those is actually worse.

Then there's this little gem of information on how CCleaner appears to have another unsavory issue relating to this Monitoring debacle:

Pretty sure I opted out of any background reporting as well.

So guess Piriform/Avast are now on final notice from this end of the planet - seriously raise your game or be happy with losing credibility and customers.

Holy Cow... this is one of the most serious software intrusions I have ever seen. You can NOT turn off "Active Monitoring" either in the program or in Task Manager. It will come back. Have you also noticed the "Exit Ccleaner" function is gone from the options in the Notification icon? I could figure out what stupid games they are playing but I don't have time. They will tell you they are "phoning home" in YOUR interest - kinda like the government- for YOUR protection. Have you heard this tune before?

I have used this program on over 10 computers for many years. Never again. Get rid of it immediately. There are endless other ways to do the same thing.

Gad... this is terrible- so classless and intrusive- not to mention transparently self-serving. DO NOT STAND for it.

Soooooooo..... I have been educated. Apparently Avast bought Piriform. OMG... that explains everything. Immediately purging both of them. This would be a laughable situation if it weren't such a pathetic example of user sheepification and cash milking. Run for the hills my friends...

Edited by Ben K
New information

I created an account because I was looking for why the Exit option suddenly disappeared in the latest update, then read this string and have the same active monitoring issue happening to me.  I cannot uncheck the box under settings, either. 

I'm willing to guess the option to exit from the system tray is a feature they're adding to the paid version.  So. Shady.

I will be looking for a replacement ASAP.

I'm attaching two files, as well as the associated script/code that will kill the process without having to open Task Manger all the time.  One is a batch file to manually run after you've used CCleaner and the other is a Task that will kill the process 30 seconds after any user logs on (this ensures it has had time to load, first, before attempting to kill it).  I'm not a coder, and I don't write stuff like this (much) so these are rudimentary but they work.  I don't see a way to auto-kill the task after closing the CCleaner window as the monitor uses the same process that runs the entire program, but someone may be able to improve upon this.

The following script and code can be copied and pasted into Notepad and then saved as their respective file types.  The batch file should be manually run after using CCleaner and the XML file can be imported into Task Scheduler.

**Batch File Script:**

@echo off
Taskkill /IM ccleaner64.exe /F
Taskkill /IM ccleaner.exe /F

**Scheduled Task XML Code:**

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.2" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2018-07-31T09:25:50.4002489</Date>
    <Author>2J02CX1\newtonmcnay</Author>
    <Description>Kills CCleaner processes set to auto-launch.</Description>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Delay>PT30S</Delay>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>2J02CX1\newtonmcnay</UserId>
      <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>taskkill</Command>
      <Arguments>/IM ccleaner64.exe /F</Arguments>
    </Exec>
    <Exec>
      <Command>taskkill</Command>
      <Arguments>/IM ccleaner.exe /F</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>

CCleaner Killer.bat

CCleaner Killer.xml

I just started reading the threads regarding the CC Cleaner/Piriform's "Enable Active Monitoring" option, and like many of you, cannot un-check the option.  Basically, to get rid of this option, I need to uninstall this until Piriform decides it wants to come up with something that does not including monitoring everything I do?    

• Moderators

correct.

either uninstall completely and wait, or get an older version from FileHippo (geez - how many times have I written that this year!)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 07:27, Rubeus said:

At last, it seems the bug about "Active Monitoring" is solved in last Cleaner´s version 5.46.6652.

Now, it´s working fine for me  :)

Cheers!

Thanks Rubeus; yes agreed this appears to work. I wasn't intending to upgrade until Piriform/Avast advised that the issue is resolved.

Interestingly, I loaded this release onto a new Windows 10 PC (using Windows Defender by default) and, without asking, the installer loaded the Avast Anti-Virus; this is most inappropriate.  I had then to uninstall the AV as, a friend, the ultimate user of this PC, prefers another AV that they're supplying next week.  I do trust that this isn't indicative of a new direction for Ccleaner under its new management.

This AV issue may be an appropriate new subject on this forum.  :unsure:

48 minutes ago, arensky said:

...Interestingly, I loaded this release onto a new Windows 10 PC (using Windows Defender by default) and, without asking, the installer loaded the Avast Anti-Virus; this is most inappropriate.  I had then to uninstall the AV as, a friend, the ultimate user of this PC, prefers another AV that they're supplying next week.  I do trust that this isn't indicative of a new direction for Ccleaner under its new management....

Hi arensky:

See APMichael's screenshot in kiddac's thread Avast Hidden Install as well as Martin Brinkmann's Nov 2017 article Avast Bundles CCleaner with Avast Free Antivirus on ghacks.net. If you are using the standard installer (i.e., rather than the slim installer or portable build at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds) to perform a new CCleaner installation you must ensure the checkbox to install the bundled Avast Free Antivirus is disabled in the installation wizard.

It might be advisable to run the Avast uninstall utility (available at https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility) to ensure any orphaned registry entries and files left behind after the Avast Free Antivirus uninstall are wiped off your friend's computer so these remnants don't interfere with their preferred AV.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * CCleaner Portable v5.35.6210

Thanks Imacri,

I did run the Avast uninstall so should be OK.  Seeing the comment that Ccleaner can recommend improvements to PC security - I have no problem with recommendation but just installing Avast without question is not recommending (there was no obvious indication or checkbox - and  I do look for these).  Anyway, thanks for the tip on the portable build version.  I shall use that from now on.