Jump to content
CCleaner Community Forums
Todd K

Recovery results

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if the files that are recovered are recovered in the original folders and sub folders or if they are just a huge set of individual files? If it is just files, is there any way or other programs that recovering original folders? I have almost 800 GB of personal and business data and to get 5 million random files will take me months to sort through.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advanced Mode, Options/Actions, Restore Folder Structure (recovering to a new device, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Augeas said:

Advanced Mode, Options/Actions, Restore Folder Structure (recovering to a new device, of course).

Duplicate

 

Edited by Todd K
Duplicate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ran the Wizard then there is a button on the top right-hand of the results page marked Switch to Advanced mode. If you're in Advanced Mode already there's a button on the top right=hand marked Options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Augeas said:

If you ran the Wizard then there is a button on the top right-hand of the results page marked Switch to Advanced mode. If you're in Advanced Mode already there's a button on the top right=hand marked Options.

Do I go in actions and then check the box that says restore folder structure? It seems obvious but I want to make sure I don't screw something else up :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Augeas said:

If you ran the Wizard then there is a button on the top right-hand of the results page marked Switch to Advanced mode. If you're in Advanced Mode already there's a button on the top right=hand marked Options.

I had done the scan already and every time I do just about anything, it takes the program about 5 minutes just to execute the command because there are so many files. I think I did what you said in options but what I am seeing looks nothing like how I used to view it in windows. I see the D: drive and there is an explorer style tree but the folders are not even close to what I was hoping for. some start with $ and there are about 100 that say (co-energy) with some random stuff in them (it's hard to even look because it takes so long to open each one. There is also a folder with just a ? on it and there are millions of files in there...most of what was deleted I think but they aren't in subfolders. It seem like such an unbelievably difficult thing to figure out without knowing the program really well. I don't even know if I did the settings right. Would you have any instructions that might help or suggestions? Thanks so much for your help...I have had a nightmare few days trying to figure this out and I just don't know what to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Restoring the folder structure depends on the folder path still being available. Deleted folders can be overwritten just as easily as deleted files. If a record for a folder is deleted then the folder structure can't be recreated and a ? is substituted. If this is the case then there's no way of recreating the folder structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Augeas said:

Restoring the folder structure depends on the folder path still being available. Deleted folders can be overwritten just as easily as deleted files. If a record for a folder is deleted then the folder structure can't be recreated and a ? is substituted. If this is the case then there's no way of recreating the folder structure.

I still don't know if I am doing it right though...the problem may not be the program and it's capabilities it might be me and my technique. Could you please be more precise in your explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A folder only exists as a record in the Master File Table. If a folder is deleted then that record is flagged as deleted and available for reuse by NTFS. If it is reused by a subsequent new file allocation then all  the information held in that folder is physically overwritten.

A deleted file uses a chainback value to find it's owning folder record. If that folder record has been overwritten then the folder name, and its own chainback value is lost. Recuva cannot determine what the folder was, or whether there were one or a dozen levels in the path. Recuva will mark the folder as ?

The folder structure in  this case cannot be recreated.

The folders beginning with $ are system folders - don't touch. It seems as if you have Scan for Non-Deleted Files checked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Augeas said:

A folder only exists as a record in the Master File Table. If a folder is deleted then that record is flagged as deleted and available for reuse by NTFS. If it is reused by a subsequent new file allocation then all  the information held in that folder is physically overwritten.

A deleted file uses a chainback value to find it's owning folder record. If that folder record has been overwritten then the folder name, and its own chainback value is lost. Recuva cannot determine what the folder was, or whether there were one or a dozen levels in the path. Recuva will mark the folder as ?

The folder structure in  this case cannot be recreated.

The folders beginning with $ are system folders - don't touch. It seems as if you have Scan for Non-Deleted Files checked.

There was no usage of the drive at all after the files were was deleted so I don't think anything was over written. Is there any programs that will recover the folders and their contents the way they were left? It is just WAY too hard to deal with 5 million files.

 

One other important question...I decided to sort by date which will help me with large groups of files I worked on with a specific theme or project at about the same time....sometimes it is hundreds or even thousands of files....is there no way to (shift click) these check boxes as a group to select them or do i have to make thousands of clicks on each recovery group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You left click on  file at the top of the green list to highlight it.

You hold down the shift key (one with the arrow)

You move down list a bit (as a test) to another green file and left click on it, and then the files inbetween should all turn blue so that you can right-click on them to recover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...