Unable disable monitoring in 5.45.6611

This version comes with monitoring enabled by default. Athough if I disable it in settings, it still start with my pc and after PC restart, monitoring is enabled again. Also in start items is Ccleaner run.

There is no way disable it, if i uncheck it, in not stop second ccleaner process and after restart is enabled again!

Even if I remove ccleaner64.exe/monitor from my start list, it will be created again.

• Moderators

I've reported this to admin staff, it shouldn't be re-enabling itself.

Edit: Another moderator already reported it to them.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, TheOwner said:

You are wrong..

Who's wrong? Nobody contradicted your point.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

4 hours ago, Nergal said:

it shouldn't be re-enabling itself

I have found this:

After CCleaner update task shedule (scheduled 8 min after PC start) CCleaner.exe/monitor is added to start entries. If i run CCleaner before CCupdate, all monitoring is disabled. But if i run CCleaner after CCupdate, 2x CCleaner.exe start and after program close one will remain (also active monitoring now ticked in options). That start entry is added without need run program itself, that doing purely by CCupdate.

Workaround:

1.Disable all monitoring in options.

2.Remove CCleaner.exe/Monitor from startup entries.

3.Disable CCupdate task in task manager.

4.Restart PC

Now monitoring will stay disabled.

- Same story here. I just downloaded and installed the latest version minutes ago. Then I disabled the Monitoring option but the CC system tray icon still remains active. Even when I restart the program.

-  Task Manager on my Win 7 system tells me that CCleaner remains active even when I close CC with monitoring switched off. So, that's where CC seems to go "off the rails".

- I also noticed that CC opens/can open a second "CCleaner64.exe" process when I click on the system tray icon for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ......... time. A 3rd thing I noticed is that CPU of the CC process cango up through the roof when I use the tray icon to open CC. Seems that the CC monitoring function is then restarted.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

- When I started to use my system this morning then the CC tray icon re-emerged, in spite of having disabled the "Monitoring" option the day before. But CC has re-enabled this "Monitoring" option/function.

I found a workaround, I assume you already unchecked monitoring and kill the ccleaner process in task manager 

I've done this both on my desktop windows 10 enterprise ccleaner free v5.45.6611 and laptop windows 10 home ccleaner pro v5.45.6611

1. Delete the file or Move file different folder C:\windows\system32\Tasks\CCleaner Update.exe

2. Disable or delete ccleaner update on task scheduler

On 24/07/2018 at 21:42, TheOwner said:

I have found this:

After CCleaner update task shedule (scheduled 8 min after PC start) CCleaner.exe/monitor is added to start entries. If i run CCleaner before CCupdate, all monitoring is disabled. But if i run CCleaner after CCupdate, 2x CCleaner.exe start and after program close one will remain (also active monitoring now ticked in options). That start entry is added without need run program itself, that doing purely by CCupdate.

Workaround:

1.Disable all monitoring in options.

2.Remove CCleaner.exe/Monitor from startup entries.

3.Disable CCupdate task in task manager.

4.Restart PC

Now monitoring will stay disabled.

@TheOwner I began my reply as follows:

Using  Win 10 Pro 1803:

I tried following your instructions above but would you please clarify

"3.Disable CCupdate task in task manager" .

In my task manager (Win 10 Pro) I have an associated process called "CCleaner64.exe" and I also have a "CCleaner" entry in the Start-up tab.

I've disabled the startup entry, and stopped the process many times (and modified the options in CCleaner itself)  but it recurs after a few minutes as others have stated.

Where exactly in task manager did you see CCUpdate task?  Or did you mean Task Scheduler Library which does indeed have a CCleaner Update task in "Ready" status.

Problem with disabling that (IMO) is that you then would not get alerted to any updates.

However, that may be irrelevent because..........

EDIT:

Having had a poke about "under the bonnet" as it were, I stopped the monitoring pro-tem, and then went to C:\Program Files\CCleaner and manually ran CCUpdate.exe.

It did NOT restart the monitoring so that has nothing to do with it, neither are there any errant Services.

Looking at ccleaner.ini, all references to monitoring are set to  0

Used PC as normal for 4 hours.. Monitoring did not start, even after I ran CCleaner manually. 

In ccleaner.ini, all references to monitoring remained set  to 0

Then rebooted Windows and once again Monitoring started, it's again enabled in  the Task Manager Start-up tab and, in CCleaner Options, "Enable Active Monitoring" is ticked and in ccleaner.ini there is now a line saying "Monitoring=1"

However, i think it would be possible to stop this problem occurring by modifying the Registry which contains the following entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CCleaner Monitoring"="\"C:\\Program Files\\CCleaner\\CCleaner64.exe\" /MONITOR"

It's presumably this that causes the ini file to be changed at System Boot and removing the "CCleaner Monitoring"entry is the path I shall follow if Piriform don't come up with a more elegant solution.

However I intend to wait and see for a few days as I think a solution from the Developer is not only more elegant but will prevent the issue reoccurring with subsequent releases! I for one don't want to have to edit my Registry every time CCleaner is updated especially as I have 5 PCs to manage!!

Please Mr/Ms Developer..what about it? :D

- Right. I found that registry entry as well. (with the help of ...... CCleaner).

- I disabled that entry (with CC) and the CC monitoring feature was running again when I restarted my system today. Seems that CC refreshes/re-enabled that registry entry when one is fiddling with CC.

2 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- Right. I found that registry entry as well. (with the help of ...... CCleaner).

- I disabled that entry (with CC) and the CC monitoring feature was running again when I restarted my system today. Seems that CC refreshes/re-enabled that registry entry when one is fiddling with CC.

I presume you went into Tools > Startup and set it to Disabled?

I just tried that and got the same effect - in fact it created a NEW entry giving 2 entries in CCleaner - 1 enabled and 1 disabled.image.png.4b5d101de433a1bd8b8f62d99403a357.png

That makes sense actually because Windows reads the registry at Windows Startup which is long before tasks like CCleaner start, so when it gets there, monitoring has already started. It then creates a new Entry in CCleaner to match the Registry. Remember - the Registry is all powerful!

The way to do it is to edit the Registry key that I quoted above.
I've just tried it; restarted Windows and Monitoring did NOT start.

CCleaner functions all OK

I edited it back, restarted Windows and the monitoring came back on with all the settings in Task Manager and CC as before.

I am NOT going to be the one to tell you HOW to do this - if you're not conversant and comfortable with editing your Registry, you can do untold and irrevocable damage to Windows if you mess it up!!!! If you do that, and don't have a system image of Windows, you are potentially faced with a rebuild. Please be warned!

Additionally, there may be other entries that need to be changed if this one is changed - I have not investigated that!

Suffice it to say that this works and what we need is for the Developers to remove that Registry entry and issue a new build.

To repeat what I said above:
"I intend to wait and see for a few days as I think a solution from the Developer is not only more elegant but will prevent the issue reoccurring with subsequent releases! I for one don't want to have to edit my Registry every time CCleaner is updated especially as I have 5 PCs to manage!!

- Right. I saw those 2 registry entries/that behaviour as well. Well, the good folks at Piriform do have "something to work on".

- I have used a registry editor many times before, so I know what the dangers are, what can go wrong. I learned that the hard way ;-)

- I installed Tweaking's Registry Backup. It makes a copy of the registry (files) upon startup of Windows. I already had a few times when I have gotten into trouble (e.g when fiddling with the registry) and then restoring the regsitry to a previous state (with this program) resolved the problems. (Yes, this was an advertisement but it really has helped me). In those cases there was no need to use the more cumbersome Windows' System Restore feature. So, don't worry, I have a plan B.

On 7/31/2018 at 07:51, suchashame said:

I've unistalled it - this is totally out of order.  

I agree. I'm usually one for "workarounds" and such, but this is just too much of a waste of time at this point. I guess this is what happens when a company buys out a smaller company that used to make good, reliable software. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, norb said:

Same here, Windows 10 (1709) and ccleaner (free) 5.45.6611, it re-enables the monitoring at every boot up even after disabling it in startup. 

Version 5.45 has been officially withdrawn, and you are advised to reinstall v5.44 (or an older version, some have gone back to 5.40).

5.44 is now the version on the piriform download site: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

5.44 and older versions are also available on Filehippo: https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043