Ccleaner 5.44.6577 not installing

I've tried several times to update Ccleaner to 5.44.6577 but keep getting a message which says "Ccleaner Installer has stopped working".

I've tried installing it with the Avast disabled, I've tried it in Safe Mode and I've tried running it from the Downloads folder in Explorer but all these methods give the same message.

I've also tried the methods suggested in Andavari's "solution", except I haven't tried the portable version as I understand this has limited functions and anyway, I'm not sure how to delete the "Portable.dat" file which was suggested there.

Any suggestions please?

Currently using Windows Vista 32 bit

• Moderators

what is your current version?

Portable build has the same cleaning functions as the Free build.
Slim build should also be up now.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Very much appreciated. I have downloaded the Slim version and it works, although I had to make a change in Options - Advanced to change it from Summary view to List view as it initially crashed when the Run Cleaner button was pressed. I had this problem with earlier versions so I was aware of that particular  issue.

Thank you so much for your help.

Just a further update on this. When I launch Ccleaner I now get a Crash Report coming up saying "The application Ccleaner has quit unexpectedly" and asks me to send a report, which I've done. However, if I simply press the cancel button on the crash report, Ccleaner then runs as expected. Very strange! Not sure why it gives this crash report then runs when cancelled. There must be a bug somewhere in the system but at least I can get it to work.

• Moderators

does Vista have all its updates?
what AV software do you use?
does CC work OK if you go back a version, available from FileHippo (you may have to go back to v5.40 or v5.41)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.