My sincere condolences to a trusted old friend.

Palebushman

For all those years that I trusted in you and the awesome products you provided, it is now time for me to bid you farewell Piriform.

The loss of your independence is one thing, but to have your soul taken over by another, is heart breaking and very sad.

Thank You, for working so well during all the years our bond of trust was so strong.

Farewell Buddy.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck

• Moderators

+1 with Hazel
Feel free to leave Piriform behind but try and log in now and then and chase up the latest going-ons with the Forum.

members, especially the highly rated, worldly-experienced ones us Aussies are do bring a much needed decorum to this otherwise dull place! :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I respect your decision.

And it was very eloqently stated.

I've not quite got there yet, I'd rather stay here for now and shout about the worst of the stupid developments.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

and you wouldn't mind the odd "stupid development" now and then.
every company has them eventually.
hell, I was a programmer in a previous life for 19 years and yes, I'm guilt of coding that passed my testing but was then picked up in the pre-production test labs (the very reason they existed).
and yes, once in a blue moon, something got through that process and was released to the public - stuff happens to the best of us.

but.... Piriform.... release after release has been dogged with issues.
what are we up to 8? this year and 2 of those have been 'emergency' patch releases.
but from reading this forum, it isn't just the constant bugs and unwanted 'surprise' features, it's the general lack of care, and concern, and commitment, to their user base and this forum which gives them that direct conduit to that base.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:57, Palebushman said:

Farewell Buddy.

:(  +1 with Hazel. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 7 months later...

:ph34r: Hi everyone,

How are you all keeping?  Not quite a year has lapsed, but I recently pondered re-installing a very sadly missed old friend of mine back on to our PC's.

Before doing so though, I thought it best to pop back in here first and check out how you 'CC Gurus' are coping with the latest rendition of CCleaner and,

has our old friend still got its umbilical cord firmly attached to that gargantuan server in Prague? :unsure:

If you feel your response may jeopardise you in any way, please don't respond, I will understand. :wub:

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

• Moderators

Jeopardized by responding:lol:, we've all told them what we thought.

If you want CC back on your system might I suggest going with the Portable ZIP version and leave the install versions alone. With the Portable ZIP version you won't ever have a failed install problem with it which has plagued every version for what seems like almost 2 years at this point, and it won't try to install other software you probably want nothing to do with like Avast Free Antivirus.

Not even close to guru status, but fwiw I've stayed with one of the older versions set to manual update.  Also staying with avast set same way.  Both work fine here on xp.  :) 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Thank You Andavari and Login123,

I will definitely give the Portable Zip version a try Andavari and let you know how I get on with it, but Login 123 are you're still sticking with XP! You must be behind one awesome Firewall or maybe you don't cruise in cyberspace through the big onion. I got tickled that many times with my XP it wasn't funny so I had 3 choices. Couldn't afford one, the penguin couldn't train me so I went with 7. Even that is now that is coming to an end too! One thing is for sure, when Windows goes purely 'Cloud' based, I won't be flying with it.:P

Thanks so far guys, hope the rest of the gang chime in when the time zones allow them. :wub:

• Moderators

I'm with Andavari.

For the few things I still want CC for:
I cleared everything out of the C:/Program Files/CCleaner/ folder except for- CCleaner 64.exe and uninst.exe (I also cleared the lang and setup folders and left them empty, but could probably junk those as well).
When there's an update I just extract the new CCleaner64.exe from the portable and replace the old version.

TBH I took a long look at just why I was using CC in the first place, and it was mainly for browser cleaning and a few others like recent file lists.
So I wrote my own batch file to do those, runs in less than a second because its only cleaning what I want.
I let Windows 10 take care of windows junk; I set Storage Sense to do a daily clean, and run a manual clean with it when I feel like it.

CC is only still on my machine for the occasional use of it's other tools.
(and the occasional check that my batch file is still clearing everything from the browser).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

same as nukecad.
between my own Batch/PowerShell script and the inbuilt cleanmgr utility, I've long stopped using CC for maintenance.

my main use of CC now is it's Uninstall feature - very handy in removing those Win10 Store apps.
I've got PowerShell commands to remove them but at this stage CC does a better job.

My currently installed v5.40 will be my last.

11 hours ago, Palebushman said:

Thank You Andavari and Login123,

I will definitely give the Portable Zip version a try Andavari and let you know how I get on with it, but Login 123 are you're still sticking with XP! You must be behind one awesome Firewall or maybe you don't cruise in cyberspace through the big onion. I got tickled that many times with my XP it wasn't funny so I had 3 choices. Couldn't afford one, the penguin couldn't train me so I went with 7. Even that is now that is coming to an end too! One thing is for sure, when Windows goes purely 'Cloud' based, I won't be flying with it.:P

Thanks so far guys, hope the rest of the gang chime in when the time zones allow them. :wub:

Yes, good firewall, but the main protections are Sandboxie, Powershadow, and backup software. 
These have been attacked more than once and have not failed, except once when I caused it myself (I think).

But it isn't easy. It's like my ancient car; I can drive it legally and safely but new kids probably should not try.  :lol:

I hope use win 7 the same way. This xp computer will most likely go over to some sort of run-in-ram Linux distro. 

But to the main point, Ccleaner & Avast are OK here.  Both have changed since the merger, but I'll live with it.

Thank You nukecad and mta, awesome to have you both chime in.

All my experience with Win 10 thus far, has been on clients machines, which they allow me to repair for them FOC. (They are mostly pensioners that cannot afford the expensive labour costs of the professionals.)  My work on them mainly involves the removal of junk/bloatware and MS Update issues, most hardware issues involve refreshing the baked/hardened CPU and GPU thermal paste and mandatory removal of surface dust from RAM cards, motherboard components and fan blades and radiator grills. Usually finish off my servicing by installing the brilliant Ivo Beltchevs 'Classic Shell' to turn their Widows 10 GUI back to one they are more familiar with. Surprisingly, they all love it too. ;)

My favourite uninstaller is 'Geek Uninstaller' and the freeware version is still available from MajorGeeks. As for their Internet surfing protection, I always install Malwarebytes for them too.

Thanks for all your tips and info everyone, CCleaner Portable appears to be the 'Go' for now, and a final clean-up with Clear Event Logs.BAT my maintenance work should be a breeze.:wub:

Palebushman, my family's computers use win 8.1 or win 10.  I don't have time to keep them tuned up, so that seems to make win 10 the best choice.  

9 minutes ago, login123 said:

Palebushman, my family's computers use win 8.1 or win 10.  I don't have time to keep them tuned up, so that seems to make win 10 the best choice.  

Any 8.1 versions I come across these days login123 get automatically upgraded to 10, there are still many of us that are not comfortable with change, but given a little time to play and familiarise oneself with anything new, usually works out well in the end. But using any computer that is purely cloud based for data storage, does not sit comfortably with most that I know.

BTW, love your analogy with your car. Youngsters around my way here believe my column change is the lever for opening the bonnet. :D:rolleyes:

• Moderators

I'm not sure why you think that Windows 10 is 'purely cloud base for storage'?

I use Win 10 quite happily without a Microsoft account, I was conned into signing up when I first Upgraded to Win 10 but subsequently deleted it.
You can install Win 10 without signing up for a MS account. But it's a semi-hidden 'advanced' option in the installation - because they want you to have one.
I've disabled Windows OneDrive so it's not syncing my files, and definitely wouldn't store my data anywhere in the cloud.
(OK, my emails are saved on my domain providers server).

I am aware that some notebooks these days come without any internal storage, (Chromebooks for instance), so buy one that has and disable the cloud connections.

• Moderators

Similar to nukecad I use Win 10 without a Microsoft account and have disabled OneDrive. I like Win 10.

I use CCleaner 5.40 on one machine and other versions on 2 other machines (to compare) The latest CCleaner builds I untick just about everything under options :)  

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

4 hours ago, Palebushman said:

. . . All my experience with Win 10 thus far, has been on clients machines, which they allow me to repair for them FOC. (They are mostly pensioners that cannot afford the expensive labour costs of the professionals.) . . .

Bless you for helping out like that. :) 

• Moderators

Always good to help others when you can.

I assume the baked thermal grease and excessive dust is an Aussie problem?

Over here it's more likely to be damp and condensation that's causing problems:lol:

Opened one one time that had so much cat hair you couldn't see some of the parts. But it was not crashing because of heat.  Told the owner that professional help would be needed.  :blink: 

22 hours ago, nukecad said:

I'm not sure why you think that Windows 10 is 'purely cloud base for storage'?

I use Win 10 quite happily without a Microsoft account, I was conned into signing up when I first Upgraded to Win 10 but subsequently deleted it.
You can install Win 10 without signing up for a MS account. But it's a semi-hidden 'advanced' option in the installation - because they want you to have one.
I've disabled Windows OneDrive so it's not syncing my files, and definitely wouldn't store my data anywhere in the cloud.
(OK, my emails are saved on my domain providers server).

I am aware that some notebooks these days come without any internal storage, (Chromebooks for instance), so buy one that has and disable the cloud connections.

No no nukecad, what I was eluding to is that Microsoft may in future, go down the road of providing Azure storage for post Windows 10 OS incarnations. Just as your example of Chromebook, only Microsoft will have complete financial/technical control of whatever data we generate on their locked in OS and devices. No doubt the MS marketing gang will have us believe, this is the way for PC's in the future, including never having to worry about system or Office updates or security issues, as it will all be taken care of in the 'Cloud'.

Oh, and no doubt all the future MS hardware will have built-in obsolescence to keep us buying new hardware when the OS gets upgraded to the next rendition. I think it's pretty safe to assume  nukecad  that the current 'Big 5' world domination by Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Apple, feel it's time for us to be controlled by them......... Completely. :o

22 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Similar to nukecad I use Win 10 without a Microsoft account and have disabled OneDrive. I like Win 10.

I use CCleaner 5.40 on one machine and other versions on 2 other machines (to compare) The latest CCleaner builds I untick just about everything under options :)  

Yep, I have just done the same to my installation now hazelnut. Anything home 'phoningish' about CCleaner has been removed and it's working like charm.:wub:

18 hours ago, nukecad said:

Always good to help others when you can.

I assume the baked thermal grease and excessive dust is an Aussie problem?

Over here it's more likely to be damp and condensation that's causing problems:lol:

You're not wrong there nukecad, about the dust, or the factory installed el-cheapo grey paste under these CPU's and GPU's.

With our without home air conditioning, that grey stuff has to be replaced with silver or copper based paste a.s.a.p.;)

• Moderators

I've seen YouTube videos where re-pasting the CPU with a high quality thermal compound can easily lower temps by 10 degrees celsius.

As for a cloud-based OS the clocks probably ticking on that to happen, although thinking about not ever having to install a crap load of updates would be nice.

The only advantage I could ever see to that is the example of what some gaming services are attempting to accomplish where the end-user could have a relatively low-cost and low-spec desktop PC or laptop that could never run a video game on its own and yet still be able to run modern triple A titled video games on it because the gaming server has the high-end gear and just streams it to the user with some latency. It would require the end-user to have a robust and fast Internet connection, and since everything is going towards always-on and always connected it's possibly a logical conclusion and future - just look at those over-priced Windows 10 laptops with a Qualcomm CPU they're always-on.