All my system preferences deleted - scripts?

mmediaman

Can anyone here shed light on what CCleaner does when you ask it to uninstall applications in OSx?

I asked it to uninstall some Adobe CS5 products from my Mackbook Pro running OSX 10.1.2.6 because I didn't need them any more.  I remember at some point seeing a dialog of some kind listing about 3 "scripts" with checkboxes against them.  Honestly I didn't pay a lot of attention to them and just thought it was some part of the CCleaner process. (I use CCleaner on my Windows machines for a long time and so I trusted it).  Got prompted to enter system password about 3 or 4 times, but password prompt is not unusual on OSX to make admin changes so I proceeded.

After my next reboot of the machine, TO MY SURPRISE, all of my system settings were reset.  i..e Wallpaper, mouse options, display resolution settings, all such things. Appeared in a way like OSx was just reinstalled. How in the world did this happen?  What were those scripts?  Now that I think back, they are different than what I was used to on Windows.   

I managed to set most options back to my preferences but some license and important settings for my DJ software seems to have gotten wiped out too.

Please, any insight appreciated!!

After almost a week and 50 views no one has anythng to say about this.  My only conclusion is that CCleaner on MAC sucks and one should avoid using it on a MAC because it may do things that can't seem to be explained. 

• Moderators

g'day mediaman and a belated welcome.

this forum is almost solely used by other non-Piriform staff members like yourself who freely volunteer their time to help others - either Piriform related or otherwise.
so what you have against you with that is you have to wait until someone who can help logs in and does so.
but in your case, the situation is made worse by the fact there really isn't that many Mac users in the world and even a smaller subset of those that are members. (I'd probably even go out on a limb and say we have none - certainly no regulars!)

but if CC on MAc's is anything like it is on Windows, then the way it uninstalls things should be simply to call the programs own uninstall process.
but that is purely speculation from an absolute Mac noob - which really is pointless and unhelpful to you - so sadly you either need to wait for a Mac user to perhaps send a direct support request to Piriform.  You can raise a ticket from their website.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

wise man - move on and don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.