System Temporary Files Not Displayed

I changed the location of the TEMP folder in C:\Windows to D:\Windows. Although the drive designations are different, they are both on the same physical device. When the pathway for system temporary files was defined as C:\Windows\Temp, I could always see the files in the CCleaner analysis. Since I changed the pathway to D:\Windows\Temp, system temporary files for Windows do not appear at all. The only temp files that I see are under my user login. Why does CCleaner not detect system temporary files for Windows in the D drive?

• Moderators

having a SSD, I always change my TEMP and TMP user and system environment variables away from C:\ drive.
CC for me is picking up the correct, changed location of my temp folders.

how did you change the c:\windows\temp to d:\windows\temp ?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I changed the TEMP and TMP variables by editing Environment Variables. The system temporary files for Windows are going to the D drive. I can see that through Windows Explorer. But CCleaner is not detecting them.

• Moderators

check the system isn't still using the default location, go to c:\windows\temp ands see if it has files?
and do the same to d:\windows\temp, are files actually going there?

in CC, right click on System > Temporary Files and hit Analyse, when done, double click the line showing the results to see a detailed list.
you should see C: and D: locations listed.   (C:\ because some programs have c:\windows\temp hardcoded in and are too lazy to check the TEMP and TMP system variable)

C:\Windows\Temp does not have any files, D:\Windows\Temp does have files, both observed through Windows Explorer.

In CCleaner, System Temporary Files for Windows does not show anything for D:\Windows\Temp, only showing files for D:\UserLoginName\AppData\Local\Temp.

• Moderators

be buggered if I know why then.
as I say, works for me on Win10, using CC v5.40 - what are your OS and version?

• Moderators

Try rebooting the system if you haven't since the Temp folder location change.

After that if CCleaner still isn't finding it you can add it into CCleaner at: Options > Include
If you add it into Include, you'll then need to click the large Cleaner button and under the main Windows tab scroll all the way to the bottom to Advanced and enable/tick: Custom Files and Folders

Like mta already stated, some programs will not honor the changing of C:\Windows\Temp, perhaps they are hard coded to use it. Some may also have issues without it, so I wouldn't go about deleting the old folder location even if it's completely empty, some programs will re-create it if it doesn't exist, also some programs will crash if it doesn't exist physically on the hard disk which I've experienced before with an antivirus software.

6 hours ago, mta said:

be buggered if I know why then.
as I say, works for me on Win10, using CC v5.40 - what are your OS and version?

OS = Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit

CCleaner = version 5.41

I even tried upgrading CCleaner to version 5.44 and that didn't make any difference.

I also tried doing an uninstall and reinstall of CCleaner and that didn't help.

5 hours ago, Andavari said:

Try rebooting the system if you haven't since the Temp folder location change.

After that if CCleaner still isn't finding it you can add it into CCleaner at: Options > Include
If you add it into Include, you'll then need to click the large Cleaner button and under the main Windows tab scroll all the way to the bottom to Advanced and enable/tick: Custom Files and Folders

Like mta already stated, some programs will not honor the changing of C:\Windows\Temp, perhaps they are hard coded to use it. Some may also have issues without it, so I wouldn't go about deleting the old folder location even if it's completely empty, some programs will re-create it if it doesn't exist, also some programs will crash if it doesn't exist physically on the hard disk which I've experienced before with an antivirus software.

I have done multiple reboots, all to no avail.

I did follow your direction on the Include option and that worked.

The C:\Windows\Temp folder is still in existence although there are no files in that pathway. The temp files are going to the D drive. CCleaner just isn't picking them up unless I use the Include option as described above.