Piriform Community Forums
sethm1

System restore points are missing

Hi sethm1:

Just to clarify, there are lots of new bugs in CCleaner v5.45, especially with the Active Monitoring feature in the 64-bit ccleaner64.exe version (see Ron2017's thread Piriform Personal Security Concern with CCleaner Latest v. 5.45.6611 for a good discussion), so I'm not actually endorsing that you use CCleaner Portable v5.45.  I only wanted to report back and let you know that my 32-bit CCleaner Portable v5.45 doesn't seem to be wiping my system restore points like the previous version.

I'm not a big fan of Privacy Eraser either - especially the fact that users can only see a summary of the number of items that will be cleaned and total disk space recovered but can't view a detailed list of each file and/or registry items that will be deleted during the disk clean.  I was just using Privacy Eraser to monitor my system restore points while testing CCleaner because I wanted to make sure that my system restore points would continue to accumulate after I stopped using the previous CCleaner Portable v5.44 on 10-Jul-2018.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1-1.0.365 * CCleaner Portable 5.45.6611 * TreeSize Free Portable v4.1.2.407

I also have to say that there have now been 3 'cumulative updates' to Windows 10 1803 this month, which have totally buggered up trying to work out what is going on with RPs.

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

I also have to say that there have now been 3 'cumulative updates' to Windows 10 1803 this month, which have totally buggered up trying to work out what is going on with RPs.

Hi nukecad:

Extended support for my Vista SP2 OS ended on 11-Apr-2017.  That's not a good thing from a security standpoint but it makes troubleshooting third-party applications much easier for me since I haven't had any updates for Vista SP2 / IE9 delivered via Windows Update since April 2017.  As previously noted, all my testing over the past month has pointed to CCleaner Portable v5.44 as the cause of my volsnap errors and disappearing system restore points on my 32-bit machine - just too bad no one from Avast / Piriform has shown any interest in helping us diagnose the problem.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1-1.0.365 * CCleaner Portable 5.45.6611 * TreeSize Free Portable v4.1.2.407

On 7/28/2018 at 17:10, lmacri said:

Good news.  I've been testing 32-bit CCleaner Portable v5.45 since 26-Jul-2018 and so far this latest version hasn't wiped any system restore points (RPs). I have a few more tests to run so I'll post back later if my RPs start disappearing again.,,

One thing I did differently this time is that when I unzipped ccsetup545.zip on my USB drive I did not copy over the ccleaner.ini file I was using with v5.44.  Instead, I ran CCleaner Portable v5.45 to generate a brand new ccleaner.ini file and then re-configured all my personalized settings from scratch.  Is it necessary (or at least a best practice standard) to create a new ccleaner.ini file every time CCleaner Portable is updated?  It's difficult for me know if there was a bug in v5.44 that was deleting my RPs and/or the registry keys that were pointing to my RPs when no one from Avast/Piriform has shown any interest in viewing a debug log.

Can anyone answer my question about whether it is necessary to create a new ccleaner.ini file and re-customize configuration settings every time CCleaner Portable is updated?

Stephen Piriform posted today in Changes in v5.45 and Your Feedback that CCleaner v5.45 has been pulled and the old v5.44 installers have been re-posted to the download page at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds.  It's good to see that Avast has agreed to address the obvious problems with Active Monitoring in v5.45, but I don't want to revert back to v5.44 when I've provided evidence in this thread that the 32-bit CCleaner Portable v5.44 was silently wiping my system restore points.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1-1.0.365 * CCleaner Portable 5.45.6611 * TreeSize Free Portable v4.2.1.470

No you don't have to recreate ccleaner.ini the only files in the portable zip are: lang files; ccleaner.exe; ccleaner64.exe; portable.dat; and license.txt

No other files are erased or overwritten. Conversely you can delete any file not those files from your ccleaner folder.

You can even delete any language files you don't need. If english no language file are needed at all.  This fact about language files is true for non-portable too.

On 7/11/2018 at 08:45, lmacri said:

Further to my post <here> of 08-Jul-2018, I have more evidence that this problem could be associated with CCleaner v5.44.

I ran CCleaner v5.44 the mornings of 08-Jul-2018 and 09-Jul-2018.  I had ~98 GB of used disk space the morning of 10-Jul-2018 but when I checked again in the evening my used disk space had dropped by about 10 GB to 88 GB, there was another volsnap error in my Event Viewer, and the vssadmin list shadowstorage command showed 0 GB of my allotted 33 GB of disk space for restore points (RPs) was being used (i.e., all my RPs had been wiped)....

I have no idea if any Piriform/Avast employees are monitoring this thread, but I felt I should post another update now that v5.45 has been pulled from the download servers and v5.44 (i.e., the version that wipes my restore points) is now the "recommended" version.

I haven't had any further volsnap errors logged in my Event Viewer since I stopped using CCleaner Portable v5.44 on 10-Jul-2018.  The vssadmin list shadowstorage command shows I've continued to accumulate restore points since then and I maxed out my allotted 33 GB of reserved disk space on my C:\ drive some time around 12-Aug-2018...

5b7b1a0fc6815_CCleanerv5_35vssadminRPStorage20Aug2018.png.2d9314f9ffbf214faf1fc9e7ce7bb40b.png

..and my current CCleaner Portable v5.35 shows I currently have 15 restore points dating back to 26-Jul-2018.  As expected, my oldest restore point is deleted before a new restore point can be created now that I've maxed out my allotted disk space for saving restore points.

5b7b1a5d87cb1_CCleanerv5_35SystemRestoreMaxRPStorage20Aug2018.png.11dba151e908058aca7421b75b214bb2.png

Just an FYI that I decided to roll back all the way to CCleaner Portable v5.35.6210 (rel. 20-Sep-2017) using a ccsetup535.zip file I found on my external backup drive.  This version was released after the bundled Floxif malware of v5.33 and has newer digital signatures than v5.34 but does not include unwanted features like the Emergency Updater of v5.36, intrusive pop-up advertisements of v5.44 or the Active Monitoring that runs continuously in the background (even when disabled) of v5.45.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1-1.0.365 * CCleaner Portable v5.35.6210
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS