Intrusive CCleaner pop-up.

nukecad

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JSmith117 said:

Not just the "Great Offers" but the news stories and everything else.

Panda Free Antivirus (now called "Panda Dome") also has "news" in the GUI however it's only in the main GUI it doesn't pop-up and annoy. I find it pretty damned silly for an antivirus to have "news" built into it but at least it isn't ads.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mta said:

+1   but then I've been a promoter of v5.40 since v5.41 came out. ;)  (even though I was told by an official that it "as known faults" but hey!, they all do now!)

Every version has had bugs however in the most recent versions the bugs are too obvious so I'm staying with v5.40. and if I need it to clean other software I have installed I can make my own winapp2.ini entries for it. Since I'll stay with v5.40 I've deleted my bookmark to the download page, no need for it anymore.

I find it interesting going through my "Setups" folder and seeing how many programs I've tagged on the end with this text in it:
(Last Good Version)

• Moderators

@mta, I'm not sure what you mean?

I wasn't making an 'against' list, I'm not against CCleaner at all. If I was I wouldn't be using it and wouldn't be here.
I'm just dismayed at the way things seem to be going with what is still the best cleaner programme for a Windows PC.

My list was just noting the timeline of a seemingly linked 'series of unfortunate events' that have gotten up peoples noses.
(That might make a good book or film name).

OK there have been a few cleaning issues, but mainly caused by Microsoft updates, or browser updates, or AV updates changing things, that's only to be expected.

The core programme is still excellent, it's the unwanted/unneeded/intrusive/advertising stuff that is annoying people.
More than one person who's computer I occasionally look after has asked me to remove it because of these changes.

PS. The pop-ups have stopped popping-up on my laptop.
Maybe they are on some kind of 'first-##hrs-only' timer, or maybe someone at the other end of the link ( ipm-provider.ff.avast.com ?) has disabled them?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

The fall to hell of Ccleaner, one of the most useful applications of PC

https://www.adslzone.net/2018/06/28/caida-infiernos-ccleaner/

Many of us have historically recommended Ccleaner when they asked us about a tool to clean the PC. However, a series of catastrophes have ended in the fall to the underworld of one of the most useful PC applications. The last blow we have received with the last two updates that have turned Ccleaner into a complete adware full of advertising and advertisements.

Many point to July 19, 2017 as the date on which everything changed for Ccleaner coinciding with the purchase of Piriform by Avast. At that time, this application had 130 million users worldwide, being a reference when freeing space, accelerating applications by deleting the cache and unused content and a host of cleaning functions for the PC.
CCleaner changes owners: Avast buys Piriform
CCleaner changes owners: Avast buys Piriform

At that time, we had doubts about whether it was good or bad news and we gave ourselves more time to evaluate the situation. Now, almost a year later, a series of events show that that day began the fall to the hell of Ccleaner. This is the chronology of the facts:
The fall to the underworld of Ccleaner

In September of 2017 it was announced that Ccleaner was hacked during the month of August and compromised versions were uploaded to the Internet. Specifically, the versions CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 were both compromised and with enough affected users. On September 12, a free version of these problems was finally launched.

ccleaner

Later, in November 2017, we saw how the Avast antivirus was being installed at the same time as Ccleaner if we did not uncheck the box "Get Avast Free Antivirus now" that was activated compulsory during the installation process. This is something that did not like too much among the regulars of the application.

To top it off, about a month ago, Ccleaner included a data collection function to its own servers to share it with third parties. Again, it was a function that could be disabled, but this time only by users with the Pro version of payment. The users of the free version had to go through hoops.

And finally, with the new Ccleaner 5.44 mass advertising came to our computer. At the moment, the ads seek to buy the Pro version, but nothing prevents this annoying advertising is used in the future for other purposes by seeing the evolution of the application from the entry of Avast.

13 hours ago, Andavari said:

Every version has had bugs however in the most recent versions the bugs are too obvious so I'm staying with v5.40. and if I need it to clean other software I have installed I can make my own winapp2.ini entries for it. Since I'll stay with v5.40 I've deleted my bookmark to the download page, no need for it anymore.

I find it interesting going through my "Setups" folder and seeing how many programs I've tagged on the end with this text in it:
(Last Good Version)

Like you, I'm staying with v5.40. I don't see Piriform changing now that they are owned by Avast. They are just going to ignore our complaints and wait for the uproar to die down.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

Still no pop-up(s) today.

It isn't anything that I have done, so it must be something built in?
I might have a trawl through the registry later to see if I can spot anything.

Of course if someone from piriform would care to make a statement?

I think that's probably the most annoying part, these 'features' are being introduced without any kind of statement or explanation.

Well maybe this pop-up was mentioned, in a very round about way?
From the release notes (TBH I'm pretty sure this was not there yesterday - see below).

Added helpful reminders for expired CCleaner Professional subscriptions

PS. There is also something very weird going on with that announcement thread, I reported this to admin yesterday.
When I visit it then as long as I am on the page it keeps reposting the announcement by MrG. I can currently see 4 of the same post and it's adding more.
(eg. Leave the page open in a tab, change tabs, go back, and a 'new post made' announcement comes up. But not every time.  - Close and reopen the tab and it's back to only the oneMrG  post showing).
The duplicate posts are made still with the "Posted Tuesday at 18:51" timestamp.
Is this some way of being able to change the announcement without showing that it has been edited?

5b363542a0b23_CCleanerannouncement.thumb.gif.c41bf734856ca091c299fa68ae2857e1.gif

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Sorry this is a bit small because I had to zoom out to show the multiple posts being made:

5b36370ea7664_CCleanerannouncementzoomed.thumb.gif.26a5171c714c2958d57f928077cdbb17.gif

• Moderators

nukecad you will be glad to know I can see it too if I follow the steps you did :)

First I get a little notification popup saying MrG has replied ''show reply'' 

I click it and another MG post (the same one ) is there :blink:

Do you have a post by Stephen Piriform at the top of the thread with the hashes?

(Have pointed Stephen Piriform to this issue)

mrG.PNG

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Yes I see Stephens post with the hash checksums at the top.

Again that is usually below the main announcement.

Definitely something strange, and the only reasonable explanation I can think of is what I said above. (But not working quite as intended).

I did use the 'Report Post' to inform them yesterday.

37 minutes ago, corvannoorloos said:

Always verify the file when installing an older version. Just noticed there are several downloads "out there" pretending to be ccsetup540.zip.

I leave past version installation files on my PC (originally downloaded from the official Piriform website) just in case of a problem like this so I can easily revert back to an older version that I know is genuine.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, nukecad said:

I did use the 'Report Post' to inform them yesterday.

All that did was confuse us moderators, report sends it to us not admin :rolleyes:

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
2 hours ago, corvannoorloos said:

Always verify the file when installing an older version. Just noticed there are several downloads "out there" pretending to be ccsetup540.zip.

You can unpack the official setup files as if they were a zip archive with 7-Zip.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, nikki605 said:

I don't see Piriform changing now that they are owned by Avast. They are just going to ignore our complaints and wait for the uproar to die down.

I don't see things changing either since it's probably not up to them to make it non-adware again since they are owned by Avast now. At least the software still exists, but now with annoying additions.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nergal said:

All that did was confuse us moderators, report sends it to us not admin :rolleyes:

Sorry Nergal,

I'm not that familiar with IPB (it's vBulletin where I moderate), on VB it's a quick way to bring it to attention of both mods and admin.
There again it will depend on the individual forum settings whether reports go to admin or only to mods.
I know now for this forum it's mods.

• Moderators

no need for sorry @nukecad I just was confused don't know bout anyone else.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

ipm-provider.ff.avast.com,

i dont have it B) and also the popup i dont have :P :D

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

CCleaner version 5.22 Pro, updates now expired.  Also ms office 97 and windows xp.  All OK so far. :lol:

Seriously, I think CCleaner is among the best trash removers, good balance of effective vs overkill. 

Still though, if the time comes when its behavior can't be controlled, into the abyss it goes.
Along with soooo many other softwares that got too big for their britches.  :(

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I'm just wondering with the the pop-up ad, and the unwanted Avast installs how long is it going to be before anti-malware and anti-virus companies in mass start flagging CCleaner as a PUP. Just sayin'.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Andavari said:

I'm just wondering with the the pop-up ad, and the unwanted Avast installs how long is it going to be before anti-malware and anti-virus companies in mass start flagging CCleaner as a PUP. Just sayin'.

Another poster reported that there are now 4 or 5 warning flags for the v5.44 installer on Virustotal.

I have to report that the pop-up now seems to have gone away altogether on my laptop.
Still not sure if it's on some kind of timer, or if it's been turned off at the server (until next time they want to push something).

9 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Another poster reported that there are now 4 or 5 warning flags for the v5.44 installer on Virustotal.

Certainly not encouraging.

10 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I have to report that the pop-up now seems to have gone away altogether on my laptop.
Still not sure if it's on some kind of timer, or if it's been turned off at the server (until next time they want to push something).

No such luck for me and my friends (all using free version).  I'm hoping it goes away after the sale.  But then, there may be more and more following.  It certainly looks like there's not going to be any change in policy from Piriform/Avast.

CCleaner now creatse a cookie ipm-provider.ff.avast.com that keeps track of the fact the the advertising popup has been displayed.  You need to go into CCleaner Options and then Cookies.  Move that cookie, which should be shown in the 'Cookies on Computer' list to the 'Cookies to Keep' list.  That way it won't be deleted every time you run CCleaner and lose the fact that the advertisement has already been displayed.  Of course, make sure your browser is not automatically deleting cookies when you close the browser.

• Moderators

That cookie has already been mentioned in various posts above.
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52098-intrusive-ccleaner-pop-up/?tab=comments#comment-296953

It is in fact 'whitelisted' by default so that CCleaner does not remove it.
(You can 'force delete' it, but that's pointless because it just comes back).

There is no need to move it into 'Cookies to Keep', it will remain anyway.

Try it and see - open CC and look at the 'Cookies on Computer' then run a clean and look at 'Cookies on Computer' again, you'll see that particular one still remains.

If you look closer you will see it's in the form of a '.com' web address where the advertising content is being fetched from.
A cookie like this usually allows them to change the adverising content at their end without having to install anything new on your computer.
(So the advert can be changed even if you don't install a new version).
Which is why if you block access to the internet (or block that address in you firewall) the advertising pop-up stops, because it can't 'phone home' to find the content.