Malwarebytes 'Ransomware Protection' feature breaks CC Pro Update

[Edit: I've updated the topic title so we get fewer duplicate threads on this - Stephen, Piriform]

I've been having some odd trouble with CCleaner since 5.43 came out.  I can't seem to get the updated version of CCleaner to download.  When I go in, it tells me 'new version available 5.44'.  I follow the link, go to the website, and download.  It gives me version 5.43.6522.  I know there's a 5.43.6545 and according to CCleaner there's a 5.44 as well.  But no matter what link I follow or how I search on Google, when I get to that download page, the only version I can get is 5.43.6522.  I am a free user, with Win 10 64-bit.  What am I doing wrong?

CCleaner asked if I wanted to update & I said Yes.  It closed (and deleted) the open app, downloaded, then failed on install.  I've never had an issue with an install before.  I downloaded v455 & it installed.   Why did the auto-install fail?   Is it related to something in the note above?

• Moderators

SaffyStars,

I just tried this from the notification, through the links (to filehippo) and it downloaded the 5.44 installer fine for me. (Which installed without problem).
It may have been a timing issue and you got the notification shortly before filehippo had loaded the new version?

If you are having trouble with that filehippo link then try downloading the installer directly from the CCleaner 'builds' page.
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
TBH, I, and many others, usually dismiss the link in the update prompt, and then go and download updates directly from the builds page.

PeterA,
It may just have been a timing issue, have you tried again?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

As I said above 30 minutes ago I downloaded and installed v5.44.6575 from filehippo with no problems. (The previous version was 5.43.6522).

I've just reinstalled 5.43 and then downloaded 5.44 again this time from the builds page, and that also installed with no problem.

Where are you downloading it from?
I see from your other post that it was filehippo, try using the builds page that I linked to above.

And it may be useful if anyone having a problem says which Windows version they are using. (I'm on Windows 10 1803).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

OK so it seems SOME people - no issues - others, issues. Will try the "builds" link to see what happens although it would be "interesting" to learn why there are issues updating for some, not others!

**Update: The "builds" file worked so thanks for the advice and direction, much appreciated! :-)

• Moderators

You may want to hold off installing v5.44, it has issues:

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52098-intrusive-ccleaner-pop-up/?tab=comments#comment-296937

• Moderators
8 hours ago, nukecad said:

You may want to hold off installing v5.44, it has issues:

How many times have we had to say that recently?.... (hang on, not recent at all, been about 4 versions now) :(

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I tried this morning to upgrade my standard CCleaner to version 5.44.6575 on Windows XP 32-bit (SP3), but the Setup crashed after unpacking.

in the Error Report Contents popup under System Information it detects my OS as Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600. I've posted an error report to Piriform.

Guest Stephen CCleaner

We've reproduced an issue where Malwarebytes is blocking the CCleaner Professional update. Malwarebytes were notified and acknowledged the issue in May and have committed to fixing this. We anticipated that it would have been resolved by now as it affects lots of other application updates (Microsoft Skype, Microsoft OneDrive, Visual Studio, Keepass, Foxit Reader).

You may find that disabling the following setting before the update resolves the issue:

• Ransomware Protection

Don't forget to re-enable the setting in Malwarebytes after CCleaner has updated.

If you are not running Malwarebytes and are unable to update the Professional Edition of CCleaner automatically, please let us know. At present the MWB issue is the only cause we have identified for this issue.

2 hours ago, Stephen Piriform said:

We've reproduced an issue where Malwarebytes is blocking the CCleaner Professional update. Malwarebytes were notified and acknowledged the issue in May and have committed to fixing this. We anticipated that it would have been resolved by now as it affects lots of other application updates (Microsoft Skype, Microsoft OneDrive, Visual Studio, Keepass, Foxit Reader).

You may find that disabling the following setting before the update resolves the issue:

• Ransomware Protection

Don't forget to re-enable the setting in Malwarebytes after CCleaner has updated.

If you are not running Malwarebytes and are unable to update the Professional Edition of CCleaner automatically, please let us know. At present the MWB issue is the only cause we have identified for this issue.

Thank You Stephen, you are absolutely correct with this tip of yours:-

"You may find that disabling the following setting before the update resolves the issue:

• Ransomware Protection

Don't forget to re-enable the setting in Malwarebytes after CCleaner has updated."

Your new update v5.44 installed without any problem at all. Naughty MWB :rolleyes:

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck

CCleaner Professional v5.44.6575

Options ---> Privacy

□  Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analytics purposes

□  Show offers for our other products

□  Help improve our other apps by sending usage data to CCleaner

The Options ---> Privacy boxes are all checked/ticked by default  and
appear to produce these  'Cookies to Keep'  in the Options ---> Cookies   

*.ipm-provider.ff.avast.com

*.ccleaner.com

*.ccleanercloud.com

My question is; if these are 'User' Options, why are they checked by default and......
Could the CCleaner code responsible for these entries, be the code that Malwarebytes is reading as a PUP,
thereby triggering its blocking process for the CCleaner installation of the automatic update?

Needless to say, I most certainly do not agree to check/tick the 'shared with 3rd parties' box, ever.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck