Disk Analyzer

Greetings all,

Went to use Disk Analyzer of CCleaner today. Win 10 - latest updates. CCleaner latest update.

When executed, CCleaner croaked with an error message; which I chose to send to Piriform.

I now seemingly have no good hard drive driver. I cannot shut down Win 10. Task Manager's

ability to 'see' the hard drive is gone. Launched Windows' Disk and Partition program, and it

simply hangs there waiting for the Virtual Disk service. I'm afraid to try anything with CCleaner.

I've tried to roll back to the last, and only, Windows Restore Point. After about 15 minutes,

restore point fails. Then I tried to 'Reset PC'; that too failed. The machine starts up just fine

and I can apparently do most of what I need to do; but cannot shut down.

Any ideas? Piriform, CCleaner indicated it was successful in sending the error report to you.

thanks,

mike

• Moderators

g'day Mike and welcome to the forums.

when you hit 'execute', what do you mean? as Disk Analyser only has the Analyse button and lists all your files into categories.

and do you remember the error message?

did you do other tasks in CCleaner, like reg cleaning and Run CCleaner?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, wallacemd said:

The machine starts up just fine and I can apparently do most of what I need to do; but cannot shut down.

Presumably you are currently turning it off with the power button?

Have you tried right clicking the start button and shutting down from the extended menu?
You can also shut down from a command prompt - "shutdown /s".
There are a few other methods listed here:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/7-ways-shut-down-or-restart-windows-10-pc-or-device

Windows 10 not shutting down is a fairly common problem.

The usual first steps to sorting it out are:

1- Boot into safe mode and disable/reset the 'Fast startup' feature which can cause this problem.
(Quick way to safe mode in Win 10 is to click the power button on the login screen and then hold down shift while clicking restart).
or
2- Run the Windows troubleshooter.
or
3- Scan for and repair any problem with the file systems using "sfc /scanow" in a command window.

Here's a couple of how-to's:

https://win10faq.com/windows-10-wont-shut-fix/
https://www.easeus.com/resource/computer-cannot-shutdown-how-to-fix-windows-10-automatically-restarts.html

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yeah,

I tried all the shutdown tricks; FYI: been working Windows OS since 1987; I've become
pretty good at troubleshooting, etc.

As all shutdown attempts yield the spinning dots, the power button is the only way I can kill the OS
to start again. I allowed the shutdown process to go for over an hour.

Each time I come back up, I check taskman and the partition utility. Neither show any indication of
a valid disk controller driver. Part util just hangs then eventually dies indicating it cannot connect to
the virtual disk service. I did not record the error in the dialog that appeared; suffice it to say, I allowed
CCleaner to send the report in hopes Piriform could analyze it and give me a course of action.

MTA, g'day back to ya mayte! Yes, I clicked analyze. The only button available to start the analysis process.

Last night, I let windows stay in the shutdown mode while I went to bed. I awoke to a screen indicating
windows couldn't shut down successfully. I continued on that screen, the box bounced; and whaaaala,
when the OS came up, I had my disk drivers. All functionality returned.

I cannot explain what happened with CCleaner, but Windows eventually corrected the problem all on its own.

thanks guys!

mike

• Moderators

Good to hear it sorted itself (eventually).

Windows 10 does seem to recognise these kinds of problems eventually, but it takes it's own sweet time to notice something is wrong in the first place, then more time fixing it.

I'm thinking that it was an issue with Win10's method of shutting down with Fast-Startup ( a combination of hibernate and shut-down).
This will save an image of your loaded kernel and drivers to disk on shutdown so that they load faster on the next boot.
Looks like it was trying to write information about those drivers from ram to disk, but because they weren't loaded in ram couldn't find the information to write and so hung.
Once the driver loading was working correctly, problem solved.

(Wallacemd, I realise you probably already know that but it may be useful for others reading this thread in the future).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043