Nonfunctional desktop shortcut

WillB

Ever since the end of last year,2017, whenever I get an update for the free version CCleaner I don't get the desk top icon/logo/shortcut.

What appears after install looks like a page with a shortcut arrow, but it doesn't open the program.

I get a windows error mesg that says  'windows cannot access the specified device, path,or file.You may not have appropriate permisions to  access the item'.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

First were you running as an administrator or as a user account when you installed the update?
You should install updates as an administrator, if you are a user account then you should right click on the 'ccsetup###.exe' installer an select 'Run as Administrator' to install the update.

Second, are you installing CCleaner in it's default location, or in another drive or folder?
Right click on the desktop icon and select 'Properties' for the popup menu.
Click on the 'Shortcut' tab and see where 'Target' is pointing to. It should be ""C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" (or CCleaner64.exe)

Next in that same Properties>Shortcut tab click on 'Go to file location' and see if the .exe file is actually there.

Those are the first 3 steps from here, there are a couple of other, less common, things you can try:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2669244/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error-when-you

If all else fails then try completely uninstalling CCleaner, reboot/restart your machine, and then reinstall the latest update (as an Administrator).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for the reply.

1st ?, Yes was running as admin,still did not set desktop icon that works.

2nd ?, Yes installing in default location.

This all happened after I had to uninstall CCleaner after the hack/snafu that occured at the end of last year. Downloaded the repaired version and installed as usual and no icon,

The attached files are screenshots of the properties tab,red square is showing what the desktop icon that installs looks like.

I am going to try uninstalling the whole thing redownload and give another try.

Have been using CCleaner for along time, Hate when some minor problem comes up and is an annoyance.

Thanks,Will

Capture.PNG 2.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Moderators

Ah, I thought we were just talking about the desktop icon only, from your screenshots I see that it's the File Explorer icons as well.

Does CCleaner launch if you double click the icon in File Explorer rather than the desktop? I'm guessing not.

It does look more like a corrupt installation rather than an icon/path problem.

I would try the uninstall, check in 'C:\programm files\' that the CCleaner folder has completely gone, reboot/restart, and then reinstall CCleaner with a new download from here:
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

That's the latest 5.43 version, but be aware that some (not all) users are having (different) problems with that version if they are using Kaspersky AV or Malwarebytes3.
Those that are having Kaspersky/Malwarebytes problem are currently switching to the older 5.40 version, which can be downloaded from Filehippo.

(Don't forget to untick any Avast/Google offer in the installer, unless you want them of course).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043