CCleaner v5.43.6522 Always Skips Internet Explorer?

Ever since I updated CCleaner to v5.43.6522, I've noticed a possible bug in regards to cleaning files from Internet Explorer 11 on my Windows 8.1 laptop. (The version of IE I'm using is 11.0.9600.19003)

Whenever I clicked "Run Cleaner" it would prompt me to close IE in order to clean the files. However, the program was already closed and still gave me the prompt. Whether I clicked Yes or No, it would always skip cleaning IE's Temporary Internet Files, History, and Cookies despite them being checked in their respective tick-boxes. At this point, I decided to figure out what was causing this to happen, or otherwise diagnose the problem. I restarted my computer and logged back in and decided to start up CCleaner before opening IE again. Surprising enough, it seemed like the problem went away and cleaned the Temporary Files, History, and Cookies like it normally would when checked. After cleaning, I opened IE again for a bit and closed the program. When I went back to use CCleaner with the same tick-boxes checked like last time, however, the problem came back again. I repeated the same thing a second time later on with the same results. Thus, I believe I figured out what's causing this bug: If you run CCleaner before opening Internet Explorer, it will always clean as intended. However, if you open CCleaner after using Internet Explorer (regardless if you cleaned IE or not beforehand) it will always skip cleaning Temporary Internet Files, History, and Cookies. The temporary solution this problem is restarting your computer, unless there's another solution to this that I'm not aware of.

Hopefully this bug can be fixed in the near future

CCleanerPrompt.PNG

CCleanerBug_1.PNG

CCleanerBug_2.PNG

• Moderators

After browser use before clean, check your task manager for remenant IE tasks, also in your test did you open anyother programs (such as outlook (windows 10 mail), outlook (ms office), edge or any other programs that might be using internet explorer's render engine)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

19 hours ago, Nergal said:

After browser use before clean, check your task manager for remenant IE tasks, also in your test did you open anyother programs (such as outlook (windows 10 mail), outlook (ms office), edge or any other programs that might be using internet explorer's render engine)

I did make sure that the Internet Explorer process was fully closed in the Task Manager when I did the tests. As for opening other programs that would use IE's render engine during that, no. I only use Internet Explorer from the Windows 8.1 desktop, not using it via the tiles.

• Moderators

When CCleaner skips something it's usually because (some of) those files are in use.
Many apps other than Internet Explorer also use IE's files and storage. Which is what Nergal was getting at.

The fact that you were able to sucessfully clean straight after a restart also points to the liklihood that it was/is open files that was/is causing CCleaner to skip IE.
(After the restart CC did the cleaning, sucessfully, before the offending files had been opened again).

It could be that something else is using those files, again Nergal listed some but there are many other Microsoft apps that could be also using them.
Even some non-microsoft apps will use them, because they're handy.

Alternatively it could be that IE is not closing properly, so some processes are still running in the background and not closing properly.

I suggest you try the following:
Restart and run CCleaner, hopefully it should clean the IE like before.
Open IE and close it again. (Don't do anything else).
Run CCleaner again and see if it skips IE or not.
If it does skip IE then that tells you that IE is not closing properly.
If it cleans IE without skipping then it tells you that something other application is the problem.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 6/9/2018 at 13:47, nukecad said:

When CCleaner skips something it's usually because (some of) those files are in use.
Many apps other than Internet Explorer also use IE's files and storage. Which is what Nergal was getting at.

The fact that you were able to sucessfully clean straight after a restart also points to the liklihood that it was/is open files that was/is causing CCleaner to skip IE.
(After the restart CC did the cleaning, sucessfully, before the offending files had been opened again).

It could be that something else is using those files, again Nergal listed some but there are many other Microsoft apps that could be also using them.
Even some non-microsoft apps will use them, because they're handy.

Alternatively it could be that IE is not closing properly, so some processes are still running in the background and not closing properly.

I suggest you try the following:
Restart and run CCleaner, hopefully it should clean the IE like before.
Open IE and close it again. (Don't do anything else).
Run CCleaner again and see if it skips IE or not.
If it does skip IE then that tells you that IE is not closing properly.
If it cleans IE without skipping then it tells you that something other application is the problem.

Okay, so I decided to test it again, with the exception of not doing anything else that could be using the same render engine. I restarted my computer, logged in, and decided to run CCleaner a few minutes after logging in. I left all of the settings still in tact like before, not changing any of them. So, I clicked Run Cleaner and it successfully cleaned IE's Temporary Files, History, and Cookies. After cleaning, I closed CCleaner and opened IE and used it for a few minutes and eventually closed it. I opened Task Manager briefly to see if the process was gone and it was. So, I went back to CCleaner and did the same thing like before. Surprisingly, the prompt didn't show up at all and successfully cleaned IE's Temporary Files, History, and Cookies. Lastly, I did the steps one more time just in case anything different happened. After I opened IE again for a few minutes and closed it, I went back to use Task Manager to see if the process was gone. However, the process was still there and I waited to see if it would disappear, which it did after a couple of seconds. After I made sure IE's process was gone, I ran CCleaner, clicked Run Cleaner again, and successfully cleaned IE's Temporary Files, History, and Cookies yet again.

So, after doing that I don't think it's necessarily an issue with CCleaner itself, but rather Internet Explorer. It could be possible that IE isn't closing immediately, or otherwise taking longer than usual. I can check to see if the version of IE on my computer needs to be updated if that would solve anything. Thus, it seems like the issue is resolved for now. I thank you for the support and if the same (or a different) problem arises, I'll keep you updated with that.

Just had the newest update to Win 10 the other day , Win 10 Pro v1803 and I am getting exactly the same issues as above , didn't have them before this update.

I have updated to the newest version of CCleaner free.

I noticed it after doing a clean and returning to eBay and finding I was still logged into eBay on IE11 , normally this worked fine and removes ALL cookies.

Manually deleting temporary files in IE11 via Internet Options in Control Panel , General, Browsing history , Delete , worked fine and removed the sign in cookie .

I have nothing on start up that uses IE11 that I know of and I do not get the IE needs to be closed dialogue ? After cleaning CCleaner shows the cookies

have been removed in options / cookies , but if I close and restart CCleaner it shows them as there ?

So maybe it is a bug/glitch ?

I am not writing this to complain , merely to point out that I have the same issue , I love CCleaner and have done for a few years and run it on all

my machines and have never been more than pleased with the results it gives.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Orion said:

So, after doing that I don't think it's necessarily an issue with CCleaner itself, but rather Internet Explorer. It could be possible that IE isn't closing immediately, or otherwise taking longer than usual.

Good that you tracked it down to your satisfaction.

Now as to why IE is taking it's time fully closing......??

Maybe something that you did differently in your first IE session (when it closed quickly) and you second IE session (when it closed slowly) could give you a clue?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if WIN 10 has it, but if it does, try Resource Monitor. It is possible for a task to be 'finished' in the CPU but still reading/writing to disk. If so, it may take 5-10 minutes for everything to finish, especially if you have been doing some heavy-duty work using IE.

'perfmon.exe /res'