CCleaner 5.42.6495 (64-bit) crashing

CCleaner 5.44 is unusable for me. It starts, the GUI is shown for a second and then it just "disappears". In the Windows event log it can be seen that CCleaner crashed.

I also had the original problem that CCleaner 5.42 crashed when I wanted to start the cleaning. This was solved (at least for me) by removing and reinstalling Kaspersky 18/19. CCleaner 5.43 also worked (without reinstalling Kaspersky). But CCCleaner 5.44 just crashes at the start and is therefore unusable for me. I use Windows 10 1803 (Build 17143.137) and Kaspersky 19.0.01088(a).

In a virtual machine with Windows 10 x32 1803 and Avast Free it works without a problem (version 5.42 also worked there).

CCleaner v5.44.6575 is unstable for me, too. 

--First, it wouldn't install, instead showing a message box that stated "CCleaner has stopped working." 

--Then, when I tried again, it did install, but would not run and again showed the same box message.

--Then, I was able to change the Cleaner Results option to a file list (from summary) and did get one clean run.

--Last, I tried to run it again, got the message box, and the program closed.

--I went back to v5.43 which works if I change the Cleaner Results to file list.

Details: ccleaner v5.44.6575 - Windows 8.1 - Kaspersky Total Security 18.0.0.405

I use CCleaner Professional Edition. The crashes started after I updated to v5.44.6575. I use Kaspersky Internet Security (paid version) and Windows 10, all updated regularly.

The explanation posted by siliconman01 worked for me. I didn't have to reinstall, just followed the above tips.

Thanks a lot siliconman01 :)

Oops (for those who saw my original post here)!!!  Sorry.  I thought my post had been deleted (so I lost it).  Wrong thread.  My bad.  Sorry.

Anyways:

My issue, as reported on two other threads, is that CCleaner will not run in Safe Mode.  My reason for posting here is that the symptoms as described here are identical save for the fact that I'm not running Kapersky (and in one instance I'm not running any antivirus software at all).  These issues started in March 2018 at exactly the same time as there was a change made in the way that the summaries / results screens are displayed.  Unfortunately: my initial reporting of this went unnoticed so far as I can tell.  Point is: resolve this and I'll guarantee that the other issues mentioned above will also be sorted (or visa versa). And for what it's worth: in this very last release I cannot, in Safe Mode, even try to change the options for the way in which the summaries / results pages are displayed.  The moment I go into that screen and try to change an option or scroll the screen up or down using the up or down arrow keys to the right of the screen: the screen seems to go into some type of looop i.e. it shimmers and shakes and the only way to get out of CCleaner then is via the Task Manager.  I don't know if these latest versions are addressing the display adapter or driver differently from before or what???  Maybe there's a clue.

Regards,

Dale.

Just an update:
I am 
using CCleaner Pro v5.44.6577 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 on Win10 1803.
In my case, the crashes came first with this CCleaner version.
The workaround suggested by 
siliconman01  brought cleaning function back to work (Thanks for this hint!).
However, the browser monitoring process still doesn't stay resident in background; it is not loaded automatically when the PC is started up and it closes shortly after CCleaner is launched manually.
So, there is still an issue to resolve by Piriform ...

Regards,

Henry04

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to report that CCleaner 5.44 now somehow works with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2019 v19.0.0.1088(a). A few days ago it still crashed right at the start. So maybe Kaspersky released an update that fixed this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...