CCleaner 5.42.6495 (64-bit) crashing

CCleaner 5.42.6495 (64-bit) crashes every time I try to use it.  Could use some guidance.  Attached debug log  Also attached file Report.wer from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_CCleaner64.exe_<long hexidecimal string>\ (not generated at same time as attached debug log).

Crashes happen when I press "Run Cleaner" in the Cleaner, independently of what is checked off.  It'll crash when only "Empty Recycle Bin" is checked, and when only "Game Explorer" is checked, but no crashing when nothing is checked.  Does not crash when "Analyze" button is pressed.

Tried uninstalling CCleaner, deleting all associated files and registry entries, and reinstalling.  Not helpful.

System is Windows 10.  No problems or errors detected when running these checks:
  "chkdsk c:"
  "sfc /scannow"
  "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth"
  "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth"

CCleaner64_v5.42.6495_2018-05-13_23-13-04.log

Report.wer

• Moderators

What antivirus do you use?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, punuk said:

Kaspersky Total Security, and nothing else.  Disabled it and tried Ccleaner again, still crashes. 

Uninstall ccleaner

Update kaspersky to the latest patch

Reinstall ccleaner

Should no longer crash

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I have same problem on CCleaner 5.42.6495 on W10 64.  Just started yesterday.  CCCleaner launches, but when I run "run cleaner", get the windows message "CCleaner has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

I also have Kaspersky Internet Security.   Tried uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner.  Ran avast uninstall just in case avast got installed with CCleaner causing a conflict with Kaspsersky.  Restarted.  Made sure Kaspersky definitions database was all up to date.  Then reinstalled CCleaner again.  No luck.   Weird.  Have been using CCleaner over a decade and this is the first time I've had a problem.

ccleaner5426495_error.JPG

• Moderators

The developers have acknowledged the bug with Kaspersky and ccleaner. For many the instructions I put above work, obviously from this thread it can be seen that it doesn't always work

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, punuk said:

Wow.
5.40 is 11,217,568 bytes.
5.41 is 15,333,512 bytes.
5.42 is 15,813,864 bytes.

Those are quite big changes.

Yes, moderators also noticed the size change and have commented on it to developers

Try setting the option as shown in the attached pic.  I started having this problem when I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 V19.0.0.1088(a)RC and this stopped the crashing of CCleaner 5.42.6499 when "Run Cleaner" is executed.

CCleanerKasperskyConflict.png

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• 2 weeks later...

SiliconMan01, thank you! Your solution worked for me. However, I have the purchased version, so my option was in the same place, but under "Cleaning results level of detail," third radio button choice. Thank you again!!! :)

On 5/22/2018 at 04:37, siliconman01 said:

Try setting the option as shown in the attached pic.  I started having this problem when I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 V19.0.0.1088(a)RC and this stopped the crashing of CCleaner 5.42.6499 when "Run Cleaner" is executed.

CCleanerKasperskyConflict.png

I'm also running Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 V19.0.0.1088(a) . Thanks for the fix!

Untitled.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, Nirs3 said:

Thanks for the fix.  My favourite cleaner now works as it should.. What does save to ini file do as I now have that checked.

This should explain things for you :)

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings/changing-advanced-settings

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Today I ran into this problem:  When selecting Run Cleaner > Continue, the app automatically closed without running the cleaner.  Other functions of the Cleaner worked; however, not that one.  I tried the solution posted above on May 22 by siliconman01, i.e., I changed the Cleaner Results option to a file list (from summary). 

That worked.  Thanks siliconman01.  :D

Details: ccleaner v5.43.6522 - Windows 8.1 - Kaspersky Total Security 18.0.0.405

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Today's release has a tentative fix for this. It would be great if anyone would confirm it has worked (we've not been able to reproduce in-house).