[SOLVED] How to use CCleaner on portable/non-installed software?

Hi,

Not sure if the title is explicit enough, so I'll elaborate: I use Portable Firefox and Portable Thunderbird on a budget PC whose internal storage is limited (both Mozilla software are "installed" on a microSD card I use as extended storage), and I'd like CCleaner (the installed version, sitting on my C drive) to do its job on those apps.

Problem is, since they aren't in Registry, CCleaner can't find them. Should I use aliases, or is there a way to point CCleaner in their direction?

• Moderators

To clean the portable versions you'll need to input where it's at using a custom location. See here:
https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/how-to-clean-user-data-from-non-standard-mozilla-browsers

Example to clean Firefox Portable:
CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|C:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've read the instructions in the link you supplied, but I can't find the ccleaner.ini file to edit. I've looked into the CCleaner folder in Programs, in AppData, everywhere, and it's nowhere to be found.

Truth be told, I've just installed the April Update on my PC, so maybe some caches have been cleared and it's gone. I suppose it's a file CCleaner creates to save user preferences, but if it's not there... I'll try to run CCleaner and get back to you afterward.

Stay tuned...!

Got it, done that, found the file, edited it, but couldn't save changes, because I don't have permission (and no, CCleaner isn't running). I saved the file in a different location, and I'll try to place it in the CCleaner folder in Programs later.

OK, it works. Kinda... It does compact databases for both FirefoxPortable and ThunderbirdPortable, but doesn't seem to empty cache for the browser. Since I didn't know which exact subfolder to point CCleaner at in the FirefoxPortable folder, I just let CCleaner decide for itself. Wrong move?

EDIT: I had to take ownership of the ccleaner.ini file first, so I could edit it and save changes.

Edited by FrenchToast
Add precision

• Moderators

It "should clean the same" as if it were an installed version of Firefox, since you told it where to look for the browser via the CustomLocation.

The folder you point it at is going to be very similar to what I already posted above as an example but that's only an example since you can have the PortableApps installer for it put it literally anywhere, therefore you just have to point it exactly towards the "profile" folder of Firefox Portable or Firefox ESR Portable.

Example 1:
CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|C:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile

Example 2:
CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|W:\Not In The Default Location\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile

• Moderators

To open ccleaner.ini, if it resides in c:\program files, you need to open notepad as admin; then open the ini from the file menu in said notepad instance.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• FrenchToast changed the title to [SOLVED] How to use CCleaner on portable/non-installed software?