[Possible Fix] v5.42 - Crash when cleaning

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys, a quick update on this:

All of the users we have talked about this crash have been using Kaspersky as their antivirus solution. Some users have reported that getting the latest update to Kaspersky resolves the issue for them.

Our recommendation is to ensure you have the latest updates to both Kaspersky and Windows.

I just installed Windows 10 April 2018 Update and updated Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2018 to the newest signatures, but CCleaner 5.42 still crashes. The only difference is that there is no "CCleaner stopped working" message anymore; CCleaner just closes. CCleaner 5.41 still works without a problem.

On 5/1/2018 at 13:28, Stephen Piriform said:

Hey guys, a quick update on this:

All of the users we have talked about this crash have been using Kaspersky as their antivirus solution. Some users have reported that getting the latest update to Kaspersky resolves the issue for them.

Our recommendation is to ensure you have the latest updates to both Kaspersky and Windows.

latest patch is g and i have the last update....but now using vs 5.41 until this will solve out

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 5/3/2018 at 10:07, MirceaForce said:

latest patch is g and i have the last update....but now using vs 5.41 until this will solve out

Do you mean to confrm that updating Kaspersky did not fix the issue? Or are you explaining that you have not/will not test v5.42 again to see if the latest Kaspersky update has resolved the issue.

Any confirmation that the issue is fixed or is not fixed is helpful.

I completely removed Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2018 today (I also used "kavremover") and reinstalled it. Now CCleaner 5.42 doesn't crash anymore. Very strange as I tried the new version of CCleaner again before I removed Kaspersky (with the latest signatures) which gave me the same crash.

OK, I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 with patch (g), updated to the latest definitions.   CCleaner 5.42 WORKED on my system with Kaspersky UNTIL my Windows 10 Pro got automatically updated to the latest version 1803, and THEN it started crashing on clean.  Per Stephen's suggestion above, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Kaspersky after the Windows update (again patch (g) with the latest definition updates, and 5.42 continues to crash.  Went back to version 5.41 and it works flawlessly.

I have to ask this - was version 5.42 tested under Windows 10 1803 (the April Update)?

On 5/4/2018 at 16:24, Stephen Piriform said:

Do you mean to confrm that updating Kaspersky did not fix the issue? Or are you explaining that you have not/will not test v5.42 again to see if the latest Kaspersky update has resolved the issue.

still not working with win updated and ccleaner 5.42

23 hours ago, beagle1957 said:

I have to ask this - was version 5.42 tested under Windows 10 1803 (the April Update)?

I use it with 1803 (I updated from 1709 which had the same problem), but as I wrote it only worked when I completely removed Kaspersky and reinstalled it.

22 hours ago, d4k0 said:

I use it with 1803 (I updated from 1709 which had the same problem), but as I wrote it only worked when I completely removed Kaspersky and reinstalled it.

I was actually referring to  Piriform testing 5.42 on 1803 rather than end users.  

Just FYI - Kaspersky just issued path (h) for Internet Security 2018.  I installed the patch, rebooted the PC and re-installed CCleaner 5.42.  Unfortunately, 5.42 still crashes on clean but without the error message.

Uninstalled 5.42 using Revo Uninstaller to wipe all traces of it from my system.  I found a suitable alternative for CCleaner which I will use until Piriform releases the next version (which hopefully fixes this mess!).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jletour said:

I did nothing at all, reloaded latest version.

What version; v5.40, v5.41, v5.42?

"Lastest version" doesn't really mean anything and could confuse people into thinking you're referring to v5.42 "working good", when so many other posts would suggest it's not.

On 5/4/2018 at 16:24, Stephen Piriform said:

even patch H from kaspersky did not fix this issue ....but i did not unistalled kapersky 2018 yet as d4k0

ccleaner crashed but without error message

5.41 still works fine

On 5/4/2018 at 22:14, d4k0 said:

I completely removed Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2018 today (I also used "kavremover") and reinstalled it. Now CCleaner 5.42 doesn't crash anymore. Very strange as I tried the new version of CCleaner again before I removed Kaspersky (with the latest signatures) which gave me the same crash.

this works perfect but did veryfy your system restore after using kavremover ? it's not working anymore

kavremover breaks the registry

only solution found here

https://rjcuk.blogspot.ro/2016/09/kaspersky-removal-tool-bug.html

or using this regfile

4b7a68850782834.jpg

repair.rar

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 5/6/2018 at 22:38, beagle1957 said:

until Piriform releases the next version (which hopefully fixes this mess!).

Depending on the cause of the issue, I'm afraid this may not be in our control. We are still unable to reproduce this internally, including with the latest Windows updates and Kaspersky Internet Security. It is conspicuous that alterations to Kaspersky are reported to resolve the issue in some cases. We are monitoring this and will continue to attempt to reproduce. Any more info is appreciated.

I can confirm that removing the Kaspersky product solves the problem(had "Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows mr2" & "Cleaner 5.42(latest) installed).

Cleaner reinstallation doesn't help. Stil got the freeze when initiate the cleaning action.
After uninstallating Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows mr2  (not restarting after uninstall), Ccleaner wordt like it should and has no freezes anymore.
Than I reinstalled Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows mr2 and the problem is back again. Ccleaner freezes when initiating the cleaning action.

Having same problem with shut down as soon as I select continue (to clean) - program just shuts down.

Running Windows 8.1 64-bit, Kaspersky Small Office 5.0

Firefox 59.0.3 64-bit

started 2 or 3 days ago with update to CCleaner 5.42

On 8.5.2018 at 00:02, MirceaForce said:

this works perfect but did veryfy your system restore after using kavremover ? it's not working anymore

kavremover breaks the registry

You are right, I verified it and had the same problem. This problem is known since 2016 and occurs on Windows 10 1607 and newer. Back then someone on the Kaspersky forums said that the developers know about it and some confirmed in December 2016 that it seems to be fixed, but it still seems to be a problem with the latest version from March 2018.

I tried CCleaner 5.42 on another PC with Windows 10 1803 and Kaspersky 2018 with patch h today and there the crash didn't occur. This is a very strange problem.

OK, I finally got CCleaner 5.42 to work, but the solution was a bit complicated:

Apparently, it is the combination of Kaspersky patch (g) and the Windows 10 April Update causing the issue with CCleaner 5.42 on my system, at least..

I restored a system image I created with Macrium Reflect Free on 4/29/18, BEFORE the Windows 10 1803 update.  The image already had Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 patch (g) and CCleaner 5.41 on it.  I updated Kaspersky to patch (h), then updated Windows 10 back to 1803.  Finally, I updated CCleaner  to version 5.42 and it no longer crashes on clean.

It would be interesting to know the order in which users installed the Windows 10 1803 update, CCleaner 5.42 and Kaspersky path (h).

Guest Stephen CCleaner
12 hours ago, beagle1957 said:

OK, I finally got CCleaner 5.42 to work, but the solution was a bit complicated:

Apparently, it is the combination of Kaspersky patch (g) and the Windows 10 April Update causes the issue with CCleaner 5.42 on my system, at least..

I restored a system image I created with Macrium Reflect Free on 4/29/18, BEFORE the Windows 10 1803 update.  The image already had Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 patch (g) on it.  I updated Kaspersky to patch (h), then updated Windows 10 back to 1803.  Finally, I reinstalled CCleaner 5.42 and it no longer crashes on clean.

It would be interesting to know the order in which users installed the Windows 10 1803 update, CCleaner 5.42 and Kaspersky path (h).

That's useful info, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

it seams that the problem has come back after of few weeks of usage.....ccleaner does not work when execute clean function no error registered just closing

worked a period after kavremover but the problem did come back

however installing ccleaner 5.41 fixed the problem

Did you try what worked for me as posted at 

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ethancarter said:

hello,

I have the same issue : windows 10 1803, Kasperky Internet Security 2019 (19.0.0.1088a) and Ccleaner 5.43 crashes when I start cleaning.

No issue with Ccleaner 5.41.

Thanks

Try (Siliconman01) post above. It worked for me. Or my post at the bottom of here https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51845-ccleaner-5426495-64-bit-crashing/ (for a screen shot)