[Possible Fix] v5.42 - Crash when cleaning

On 4/25/2018 at 07:21, Stephen Piriform said:

Hey guys, I am starting this new thread and will merge all existing reports into this one so we can collate information about the issue and work on a fix. Windows 10 was tested prior to release, so this seems like something specific to the system setup. I will post updates in this post at the top of this thread.

This thread is not for any of the following reported issues, please use another existing thread for:

• Issues with Chrome Profiles after cleaning
  • Issues running CCleaner on Windows Server 2008

This thread is for reporting and discussing the issue detailed below:

• On Windows 10, when running a clean, CCleaner crashes/becomes unresponsive

Hi.  Been using CCleaner for many years without any problem until 3-4 days ago.  If I run the cleaning scan, at about mid 95-96% progress, it stops working.  A pop up window that reads "CCleaner has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working blah blah blah..." appears with a "Close Program" button.  I believe this problem started happening after a windows update around that time.  I uninstalled Ccleaner, rebooted laptop, and installed a new copy .  Problem still remains.  I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit.  Thanks for any help in advance.

• Moderators

@cleanerjm,

v5.29 was just released which should fix the Compact Database issue.

Edited by Stephen Piriform
Removed advertising post and reference to it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue as well. I renewed my subscription. When I start Ccleaner, the screen shows up and shows what needs to be cleaned, but when I toggle the clean button, the screen disappears and does not clean anything. I'm using windows 7. Any suggestions?

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys, I am starting this new thread and will merge all existing reports into this one so we can collate information about the issue and work on a fix. Windows 10 was tested prior to release, so this seems like something specific to the system setup. I will post updates in this post at the top of this thread.

This thread is not for any of the following reported issues, please use another existing thread for:

• Issues with Chrome Profiles after cleaning
  • Issues running CCleaner on Windows Server 2008

This thread is for reporting and discussing the issue detailed below:

• On Windows 10, when running a clean, CCleaner crashes/becomes unresponsive

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Identical problems,

1. PC Win10Pro, 64 bit: the cleaner runs perfectly well, no problems;

2. Laptop Win10Pro, 64 bit: the cleaner crashes, when you press the 'clean' buttom. If you 'analyze' first and than try to clean, the cleaner freezes;

3. Laptop Win10Pro, 32 bit: The 'analyze' works, the cleaner freezes.

AV-system: Kaspersky

@sylt21: can you please create a process dump of CCleaner.exe on your 32-bit machine when ccleaner freezes? When it happen, please run Task Manager, find CCleaner.exe process, right click and create a dump. Can you please upload dump somewhere? Thanks.

@others (64-bit users): please download procdump.zip (https://download.sysinternals.com/files/Procdump.zip), close running CCleaner UI and run procdump.exe -e 1 -f "" -x "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" - it should create a dump file when CCleaner crashes when you press "Clean" button.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, pk2 said:

@sylt21: can you please create a process dump of CCleaner.exe on your 32-bit machine when ccleaner freezes? When it happen, please run Task Manager, find CCleaner.exe process, right click and create a dump. Can you please upload dump somewhere? Thanks.

@others (64-bit users): please download procdump.zip (https://download.sysinternals.com/files/Procdump.zip), close running CCleaner UI and run procdump.exe -e 1 -f "" -x "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" - it should create a dump file when CCleaner crashes when you press "Clean" button.

Thanks!

i don't have crashes

38 minutes ago, MirceaForce said:

i don't have crashes

you actually have -- I looked at your video (thanks for it!) and CCleaner just disappears (= crashed); you can verify it from "Task Manager" if CCleaner is removed from the list, or not

if what you say is true...i did not see anything even maintenance of windows 10 ..yes when i click clean is just like exit the program..yes is disappear from task manager...where did you see the crash ?

p.s i did install ccleaner 5.41 works perfect ..

but is strange that without kaspersky internet security 2018 in the process it works ....

this new version worked with kis 2018 but after the av update today ccleaner did no longer worked but only when you click continue cleaner close no crash dump or something like that...i did submit to kaspersky support

what could it be ?

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/393838-kis-2018-update-today-25042018-close-ccleaner-when-execute-comand-clean/

• Moderators

Can you white list ccleaner in Kaspersky, idk I don't run it, but just spit-balling.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

7 hours ago, sylt21 said:

Identical problems,

1. PC Win10Pro, 64 bit: the cleaner runs perfectly well, no problems;

2. Laptop Win10Pro, 64 bit: the cleaner crashes, when you press the 'clean' buttom. If you 'analyze' first and than try to clean, the cleaner freezes;

3. Laptop Win10Pro, 32 bit: The 'analyze' works, the cleaner freezes.

AV-system: Kaspersky

do you have kaspersky on all systems ? or only on one with the problem ?

13 minutes ago, Nergal said:

Can you white list ccleaner in Kaspersky, idk I don't run it, but just spit-balling.

sorry i did not understand you white list you mean to exclude in kaspersky interface if this your point i did this ...

can you be more specific to this problem ?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MirceaForce said:

sorry i did not understand you white list you mean to exclude in kaspersky interface if this your point i did this ...

can you be more specific to this problem ?

Yes that's what I meant

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 25.4.2018 at 20:38, pk2 said:

Thanks!

I created a dump file using procdump:

https://app.box.com/s/scqvm6x0kpgj40lie7s1g9f6r0t6inf0

The error code is 0xC0000374. My OS is Windows 10 1709 Build 16299.402 x64 and I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 18.0.0.405(g).

If I close Kaspersky completely, CCleaner works; whitelisting CCleaner in Kaspersky has no effect. In a virtual machine with Windows 10 x86 and Avast I don't have this problem.

It´s strange. May be it´s a KIS-problem ... may be in connection with Win10.

1. PC Win10 x64 + KIS + ccleaner-update = so long - no problems at all.

2. Laptop Win10 x84 + KIS + ccleaner-update = the cleaner froze - when the cleaning process was started. But now = today everything works pretty fine. Nothing was changed! - There was an invisible touch!

3. Laptop Win10 x64 + KIS + ccleaner-update = the cleaner still shuts down - when the cleaning process is started. If KIS is closed the cleaner works. If KIS is reactivated during the cleaning process,  the cleaner carries on and finishes its work. Restarting the cleaning process again with KIS the cleaner crashes ... or a window appears with the message that there is a problem with Win10 and therefore the cleaner has to be shut down. - Still waiting for the invisible touch for that Laptop.:rolleyes: