Tracking files not cleared?

RobertK

• Moderators

no, no, all good - more a 'kindly reminder' if you will. :)

just thought it worth mentioning... you know... take a step back and smell the roses sort of thing...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

36 minutes ago, mta said:

no, no, all good - more a 'kindly reminder' if you will. :)

just thought it worth mentioning... you know... take a step back and smell the roses sort of thing...

Thanks mta.

;)

Two Wolves.jpg

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck

• 1 month later...

13431 Tracking Files Removed 
No kidding.  for the first time running the new update on my notebook PC, having never seen this tracking file thing. 
So these are just any files, or strictly tracking files.      

I know there's tracking cookies and I'd like to know for sure if they could display how many you have so we can go to various websites / run this after & determine which sites are dumping tracking cookies etc. 

Now there's going to be over Thirteen thousand hackers having emotional withdrawals and separation anxiety, who also need closure when they can't track my computer.     

Displaying 13431.jpg

• Moderators

As said above that 'dumbed down' screen reports all files as 'tracking' files. (Go to Options>Advanced and select 'Advanced Report' or 'File List' instead of the dumb 'Summary').

They are all files found, cookies, logfiles, temp files, etc. not things that are actively tracking you, - it's just (misleading) advertising speak.

The file(s) it finds everytime are files that get recreated as empty files (usually by Windows) as soon as you delete them, so they always show up.

My box analogy again:

Think of these recreated files like someone putting an empty box on your desk and then coming back later and putting notes inside it; you throw the box away getting rid of the notes and they immediately put new empty box in its place, you throw that away and they immediately put a new ..............

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
48 minutes ago, MrBurns said:

If you run Ccleaner until it finds zero files, then reboot it will find more, and lots of them forever as far as I could tell before I gave up. About two hours. makes me wonder what the heck?

Windows recreates empty files for some of the files ccleaner "empties" (by removal).  Flies such as indexes and databases that hold information will be deleted by ccleaner and then (either instantly or at reboot) Windows makes new ones.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

57 minutes ago, Nergal said:

Windows recreates empty files for some of the files ccleaner "empties" (by removal).  Flies such as indexes and databases that hold information will be deleted by ccleaner and then (either instantly or at reboot) Windows makes new ones.

Hi everyone, hope you are all safe and well during this pandemic.*

Is CCleaner now free from its captors chains, if so can I re-install my 'Pro' version; if not, which version of CCleaner is recommended to prevent the 'selling on' of my cookie database?

* Better 6ft away than 6ft under.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Palebushman said:

which version of CCleaner is recommended to prevent the 'selling on' of my cookie database

Note that CCleaner doesn't collect this sort of information (https://www.ccleaner.com/about/data-factsheet).  The stats we do collect (what is our most popular feature; how often is CCleaner used per week, etc) are only of interest to us and our competitors. We've never sold any of that and it would be rather daft of us to try to.

Around the end of 2018 we also went rather nuts on killing off even the collateral collection of non-essential data - since if we collect it then we're legally obliged to look after it.  And we can think of more fun things to do with our day.

I would recommend the latest CCleaner 5.65 (if you don't like the "Health Check" interface you can always switch that bit off).

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators
11 hours ago, MrBurns said:

If you run Ccleaner until it finds zero files, then reboot it will find more, and lots of them forever as far as I could tell before I gave up. About two hours. makes me wonder what the heck?

Have a read of this which explains why this may/will happen to you, take particular notice of 'syncing' and 'live tiles':

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:

46 minutes ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Note that CCleaner doesn't collect this sort of information (https://www.ccleaner.com/about/data-factsheet).  The stats we do collect (what is out most popular feature; how often is CCleaner used per week, etc) are only of interest to us and our competitors. We've never sold any of that and it would be rather daft of us to try to.

Around the end of 2018 we also went rather nuts on killing off even the collateral collection of non-essential data - since if we collect it then we're legally obliged to look after it.  And we can think of more fun things to do with our day.

I would recommend the latest CCleaner 5.65 (if you don't like the "Health Check" interface you can always switch that bit off).

Thank you for your reply Dave CCleaner and all the enlightening links that you provided. 

My apologies if I disturbed you having thoughts during a fun day.

• Moderators

Live Tiles as mentioned is what had my head spinning when I first starting using Windows 10 and noticed things coming back rapidly such as Cache and Cookies that I didn't want.

If you like such Live Tiles features being left active and installed in Windows 10 there's likely not too much that can be done since cleaning their contents will only have Windows 10 re-download them in quick fashion. I've uninstalled all of the apps that exist as Live Tiles (it's possible to do via Power Shell) and don't have that issue, although in doing so I also don't have nice things like the Weather app, etc., which can be useful sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have instilled you windows on my computer as I was getting as in china with the amount of trackers cc-cleaner kept removing .

but this id the funny part I just putt a new ssd hard-drive in my computer set up windows went on line to updates and cc-cleaner run it and the first scan  3043 trackers.... 

but the program is good just the trackers i don't understand

• Moderators

After a new install there will be lots of temporary files found, files that were created during the install.

Although Health Check will call these files 'Trackers' they are not actively tracking you - but they could be read and used to 'track' your previous activity.

For a fuller explanation see here: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043