STOP BUGGING ME ABOUT UPDATES

I tried CCleaner free version 5.41 and it was HORRIBLY SLOW.  It just churned and churned before finally cleaning out the junk files.  I notified CCleaner and waited for an update that would fix the problem but nothing has changed.  So, I went back to version 5.40.6411 and it is FAST as usual.  But, now, every time I launch 5.40 I get a popup asking if I would like to upgrade to 5.41.  How ANNOYING.  Maybe there's something in the settings I can change to stop the popups.

• Moderators

To turn off the update notification:
1. Open CCleaner, and go into: Options > Settings
2. Untick/disable the box labelled: Inform me of updates to CCleaner
3. Close CCleaner, and then open it again to see if that got rid of the update notification.

• 1 year later...

Came here to say the same thing... When it comes to whining about updates, CCleaner is needier than my 2 year old - and boy do Piriform update it often... about as often as I switch on my PC, which is a lot.

I previously felt positive about CCleaner and have advised other people to use it.  No longer.  CCleaner bugs me about updates SO often it's actually rather suspicious.  What on earth are Piriform changing so much about this software?  Uninstalled and never again.

Piriform - in case you are completely legit with these changes - at least work on your UX, this is unlike any other software I've used, completely intrusive, awful UX.

Edited by Chris Hatton

• Admin
On 27/12/2019 at 04:48, Chris Hatton said:

boy do Piriform update it often... about as often as I switch on my PC, which is a lot.

... usually about once a month, in order to keep users up to date with the latest cleaning rules and for compatibility with software changes, etc.  That said, sometimes there will be as little as 3 weeks between versions; and the last update was about 11 weeks ago - so the frequency varies.  You can see the update history for CCleaner here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history

While we do recommend sticking to the latest version, it is not the end of the world if you are lagging a version of two behind and only update every couple of months.  That said, if you are getting frequent reminders, that probably means that you haven't updated your CCleaner since April - there have been a few changes since then.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

On 27/12/2019 at 05:48, Chris Hatton said:

Uninstalled and never again.

sorry about to hear this.

if you dont want infos about updates for the next times -> try this:

1.) go in the install-folder of ccleaner -> you see: "ccupdate.exe" -> rename this for example "ccupdate.exe.old"

2.) go into ccleaner -> options -> updates

-> "important updates (highly recommended)" -> untick the two options

-> "product updates (recommended)" -> untick "show me notifications for these updates"

there is a PRO-FEATURE but in the free-version not important (unavailable)

another way: block ccleaner internet-requests with your firewall

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 1 year later...

Of course, a firewall will work, but it would be nice to have a smooth way for people just wanting to stick with current version to do so. I'm running v5.76 and have unticked both "Keep .. updated automatically" and "Send notifications.." under Updates section, but still, when I open the application I get the stupid splash screen that I need to click away. Is firewall blockage really the only solution to this?

CCleaner64_0wDOPu4n5j.png.60b3561e6172024367e1fbfabea9631b.png

On 29/12/2021 at 14:09, Gew said:

Of course, a firewall will work, but it would be nice to have a smooth way for people just wanting to stick with current version to do so. I'm running v5.76 and have unticked both "Keep .. updated automatically" and "Send notifications.." under Updates section, but still, when I open the application I get the stupid splash screen that I need to click away. Is firewall blockage really the only solution to this?

CCleaner64_0wDOPu4n5j.png.60b3561e6172024367e1fbfabea9631b.png

Firewall does NOT work. I tried this and somehow it's getting out and in. I need to find a way to stop it. Anyone??

C:\Program Files\CCleaner....This Path Does not work

Where is the bastard file that's sneaking through???

Edited by jeetpet

• Admin
On 29/12/2021 at 22:09, Gew said:

Is firewall blockage really the only solution to this?

That's a really bad idea.  The built-in new version notifier is controlled under Options > Updates: image.png

That said, using a version of CCleaner that is over a year old is a very bad idea if any of the software that CCleaner is cleaning for you has been updated in that period.  So you will still get the bottom-right toaster alerts occasionally to give you a nudge.

The most sensible solution, if you do not want to be reminded that your CCleaner is out of date would be to simply enable the automatic updates - which was the solution that we introduced back in 2020 to address the long-standing complaints about needing to manually update CCleaner every month.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 5 months later...
On 02/01/2022 at 07:49, Dave CCleaner said:

That's a really bad idea.  The built-in new version notifier is controlled under Options > Updates:

That said, using a version of CCleaner that is over a year old is a very bad idea if any of the software that CCleaner is cleaning for you has been updated in that period.  So you will still get the bottom-right toaster alerts occasionally to give you a nudge.

The most sensible solution, if you do not want to be reminded that your CCleaner is out of date would be to simply enable the automatic updates - which was the solution that we introduced back in 2020 to address the long-standing complaints about needing to manually update CCleaner every month.

The issue I have with CCleaner is that most updates are unwanted because they break the UI or some other function.  I had to reinstall version 5.53.7034 to regain partial control over the window size and position.  (It still has a minimum window size that is too large.) I get that annoying update popup every time I run CCleaner.  There is no way to disable it.  Documentation does not reference any of the dozens of registry settings made by the software. :-(

Popup.png

• Moderators

If you continue to insist on using a well out of date CCleaner version then you are going to get notices to update.

There have been many changes to Windows itself, to browsers in particular, and to other apps - your v5.33 will no longer be cleaning them properly.
The way cookies are stored in particular has changed in both Firefox and Chrome, and browserers based on them including MS EDGE. 5.33 will not/cannot clean that new cookie storage.
If you want up to date cleaning then you have to use the up to date CCleaner version.

You were told the solution to the CCleaner window size being off screen back in March, it's partly because you have scaling set at 300% - set your CCleaner UI to full screen and it will then fit the screen.

In the end we can only advise, whether you take that advice or not is up to you.
(But if you ask the same questions again then you'll get the same advice).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I never use CCleaner to clear cookies because Firefox does a much better and precise job deciding which cookies to keep and which ones to delete.

Setting scaling to less than 300% (recommended) makes the 4k screen content too small to read.

Setting CCleaner to full screen is not an option since it blocks other important windows during the extended time (> 5 minutes) that it runs.

There is most likely a registry setting to enable/disable version nags.  Are you afraid to document the myriad registry settings you use?  I thought so!

I won't be asking any more questions because your app is being deleted from all of our company's systems prior to their upgrade to 4k displays.  😎

• Moderators

It's quite simple.

If you want to run an app, any app, that needs to be kept up to date to work fully/properly  then it's going to keep reminding you if you are not up to date and so not working fully.

That is entirely your own choice of course, but if you insist on using an out of date version then it is always going to warn you that it's out of date.
Update it and it will work fully and won't keep reminding you that you are not up to date.

PS. As you have been using CCleaner in your company do we take it that you had a licenced business edition ?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043