How do I remove the CCleaner Jump List from the taskbar?

• Moderators

If you don't want the CCleaner icon on your taskbar at all then simply right click the icon and select 'Unpin from taskbar' from the jump list.

If you want the icon on the taskbar but no jumplist then open CCleaner, go to Options > Advanced and untick 'Enable Windows Jump List Tasks'.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

That is odd, when you unpin something from the taskbar it's icon should dissapear altogether not change to a generic icon.

I'm assuming from what you say that you do not want the CCleaner icon on the taskbar at all?
Could you confirm that this is what you are trying to do.

Do you have a CCleaner Icon on your desktop?
If so then you could try right clicking on that which should again give you an 'unpin from taskbar' option.
Or you could try it from the start menu.
Same thing- find CCleaner on your start menu and right click it, hover over 'more' and you will see the 'unpin from taskbar' option.
(We're doing the same thing but trying it from different places).

You could also try opening file explorer and browsing to:
C:\Users\{User-Name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
Take a look there and see if there is more than one instance of a CCleaner shortcut listed.
(That might explain why it did not dissapear when unpinned, you may have removed one but there was another there waiting to take it's place).
If there is more than one CCleaner shortcut then delete them all, (or delete it anyway), restart your computer, and try unpinning again if necessary.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yes, it was my intention to remove the taskbar icon.  I too find it odd that the icon is still present even after it is unpinned and the computer is restarted.  The shortcut does not exist in the Taskbar folder location you mentioned after the unpinning is performed.  I did try unpinning from the Desktop icon itself with the same results.  I have even tried using the F5 function key on the Desktop which has refreshed the screen for previous versions of the Windows OS.

I'll just leave it alone.  Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

Something else to try.

Right click the taskbar icon, then right click 'CCleaner' in the jump list, and select 'Properties'.
If you look on the 'General' tab the 'Location' will show you where the shortcut is being saved.
It should be that "...\{User-Name}\... .\User Pinned\Task Bar" but it may not be for some reason, especially if you have multiple user accounts on the computer.
Double check that {User-Name}.
eg. if you installed it as Admin then you may not be able to remove the shortcut from a user account.
(I suspect that this may be the case if you also can't remove the desktop icon).

Other than that I think I would next try uninstalling CCleaner, restarting the computer, and reinstalling CCleaner.

PS. With Windows 8.1 & 10 a restart clears more than a Shut Down and reboot.
This is because of the way that Windows 8.1 Fast Boot and Windows 10 hybrid Fast Startup works.

I was finally able to resolve the issue.  After unpinning it from the taskbar, I right-clicked the "ghost" icon and selected "CCleaner".  A message appeared that the icon was no longer in a valid location and was asked if I wanted to delete it.  I answered yes and the icon disappeared from the taskbar.

• Moderators

I'm not sure that has resolved the problem, you may find that you now just have a blank space where the icon was.

If I'm right then clicking that blank space will launch CCleaner.